Thread: Video Card

Video Card

Got this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121770
    Instead of an R9 280x because they didn't have stock of the more trustworthy brands. Was I a fool for not waiting? I read the 770 has better performance on some aspects.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's this? (the link is broken) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121770

Either way... both cards are about $300, and both perform... pretty much the same. I looked at a bunch of benchmarks, and they all came within about 2-5% of eachother in everything (BF3, Crysis 3, Metro), a negligible amount. I don't think any poor purchase was made.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Some games AMD r9 280x outperforms slightly 770 gtx cards, and other games the reverse is true. With 770 GTX cards, you get shadowplay. With r9 280x cards, you have more VRAM for multiple monitor stuff and the possibility of their new API called Mantle. However, AMD has said that Mantle will be moved slowly once everything is set out to stuff like Open GL (think this is proper name?) and other such sights. This mean it will be available for Nvidia, so if the technology is good and solid, then we likely will see Nvidia pick it up and slightly tweak it/re brand it for themselves. AMD cards run slightly hotter than Nvidia GTX cards, but since they were both at the same price point you could not have gone wrong with either one.

Don't forget g-sync. Mantle is just an idea right now, no guarantee its going to become some sort of industry standard. Gsync on the other hand is here, and its real (well, in a month or two). Yes buying a gsync monitor is going to be like 400 bucks but, from all the reviews i read about it everyone is simply raving. The guy from PCP-er was asked on linus's livestream if he was forced to choose what he thought would be bigger g-sync or mantle he instantly said gsync, no hesitation.

You absolutely made the right choice man : )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Don't forget g-sync. Mantle is just an idea right now, no guarantee its going to become some sort of industry standard. Gsync on the other hand is here, and its real (well, in a month or two). Yes buying a gsync monitor is going to be like 400 bucks but, from all the reviews i read about it everyone is simply raving. The guy from PCP-er was asked on linus's livestream if he was forced to choose what he thought would be bigger g-sync or mantle he instantly said gsync, no hesitation.

You absolutely made the right choice man : )
    So it's not here...

Also perhaps a better selling point, as mentioned, is Shadowplay and GeForece Experience for streaming and recording.

G-sync is definitely nice but how many of the average gamer do you think is going to invest $400 in a 1080p TN panel? it's hard enough as is to convince many people here to spend more than $129.99 on some shitty TN panel.

Either way for OP, both cards are fine and trade blows. there are small pros and cons for each but both will have zero issues keeping up with 1080p.

http://www.twitch.tv/linustech/b/482193173

Go to 45:00 in the video. I respect ryan shrout more than anyone in the industry, and he does echo your statements about gsync only being on a 1080 tn panel, but in the same breath he also says "for mantle, its so far away, it feels so far away" "with mantle your not sure what you are getting, with gsync you know exactly what you are getting"

For me its different, i have no desire to game on a 1440p screen because they are too expensive for one (a nice gsync 1440p screen would be like 600 bucks or more) and my desk is honestly too small. 1080p with gsync is what i will be using in the forseeable future.

I suggest you listen all the way to 53:00 to hear all of his thoughts, this guy is really at the forefront of tech (much more so than linus or the other youtubers) and is in my opinion the smartest hardware reviewer out there, he also gets all the exclusives with nvidia as well. He also goes on to explain why you cannot demo gsync in a video, you have to see it in person.

Deleted
    I've watched the show thanks

You can buy 1440p for ~$350 in the US now.

There are exceptions to to the 108p's but they tend to run quite high in price as well if you don't want it to look shitty, like this:

BenQ XL2420TE 144Hz $300 which by the way is actually a good deal, usually it's ~$400+

Either way you're looking at like $400+ for G-sync support if I remember right and my point is this isn't for the average gamer but there are exceptions of course. I'm not really debating about one tech being better or worse than the other one just trying to put it into perspective.

Eh, of course i was refering to the 144hz panels, those are the only ones that are going to be available with gsync at release (as upgrade kits). I think you may be confused with what gsync is, they are ONLY going to be on 144hz panels, the kits are gonna be around 100 bucks to upgrade them, or 400 bucks for a 144hz monitor with it installed. Were not talking about 60hz TN's here, were talking about the exact monitor you linked lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Eh, of course i was refering to the 144hz panels, those are the only ones that are going to be available with gsync at release (as upgrade kits). I think you may be confused with what gsync is, they are ONLY going to be on 144hz panels, the kits are gonna be around 100 bucks to upgrade them, or 400 bucks for a 144hz monitor with it installed. Were not talking about 60hz TN's here, were talking about the exact monitor you linked lol.
    I'm not confused about what G-Sync is.

Where did I say it was for 60Hz TN panels?

The reason I linked the specific monitor is because it's one of the few TN panels that don't look like shit and have washed out colors. I'm saying there are exceptions to the statement that TN panels look bad.

You are contradicting yourself. You were surprised that gsync cost 400 dollars, but you knew how much the 144hz panels cost?

Above you said it would be hard to convince someone to spend 400 on a tn panel but two posts later you are praising the monitor that gsync is coming out on. Im just not sure that you knew gsync was exclusive to the 144hz panels.

Deleted
    Omg Fascinate lol, you're killing me

• I know what G-sync is.
    • I know the monitors cost $400+, I'm not surprised about that.
    • I was surprised to see the $300 price tag for that specific monitor as it's usually $400+
    • I'm not praising the monitor I'm just saying if you're looking for such a monitor the current deal is good AND it's one of the few TN panels that don't look like shit compared to a good IPS/PLZ panel.
    • I think the most gamers will NOT buy a $400 monitor as it is hard enough already to convince them to buy something for more than a crappy $130 TN.

Now no need to make another post about what you think I think we think might or might not be the way someone else thought it might be... yes that was a joke.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2013-11-30 at 11:37 AM.

Fair enough lol. I just dont think you are giving gsync its full due : )

Gsync is the sole reason i plan on putting a nvidia card in my system as my next upgrade, i truly feel it is the next big thing in pc gaming. If gsync didnt exist, i would have already bought a 7950 when they went on sale for 180 bucks like two weeks ago (you dont know how hard it was not buy that card lol). I hate the fact that vsync exists, its just a really poorly done technology. Once i watched the entire pcper video on gsync with the nvidia rep it made soooo much sense to me and made me wonder why this wasnt done years ago. Saying shadowplay and geforce experience are higher selling points to gsync is, well sorry to say it comes off as kind of ignorant.

I would be a large amount of irl money gsync will eventually entirely replace vsync, maybe not on el-cheapo browsing monitors, but basically anything that can be considered a gaming panel. I would also bet amd will HAVE to license this tech from nvidia in the future or risk large sales loss numbers. This isnt any fanboyism whatsoever, or me reading off something i saw on the internet, i truly feel gsync is THE next big thing in pc gaming.

Deleted
    I think G-Sync is great and it's all that i had hoped for, is that clear enough?

I'm not being ignorant. The reason I said it was a better selling point (Shadowplay) is because it's actually here, right now unlike G-Sync. I know it's coming soon you don't have to explain.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with G-sync is that it's a nice option for maintaining a nice visual under somewhat lower framerates. IE a budget build. But it's hard to defend when the monitor costs as much as a GPU that would just have better framerates. It needs to be implemented in the actual monitor (not an seperate expensive board) to really come to it's full potential and be a selling point.

That said, the actual technology G-Sync stands for is long overdue, and i'm glad nvidia took the time to design it.

Please keep your build questions to one thread, and don't post two identical topics, please.
    Thread closed.