Question Help me buy a budget printer!

Greetings, fellow travelers of the off-topic section!

I'm a real noob when it comes to printers, only knowing there's toners to be changed and how to choose Print from a menu.
    Now I'm looking to buy one as a gift to my girl, with a tiny budget.

I'm not looking for links to shops or anything, more like a guidance towards the most efficent (cost wise) ones.

It'll be used to print colored pictures and maybe some text.

Which of the types that exist is cheaper when it comes to maitanance? I know cartriges/toners cost a lot, hence I'm asking.
    What brand or type should I avoid? Will buying a cheaper printer turn around and bite me in the rear long-term?

Please, assist my misinformed self with this issue and I promise many thanks and virtual cookies with warm milk for you all!
    Intel i7-10700k | ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti | 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400Mhz
    A-Data SSD SP920 256GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm | NZXT Kraken x62
    Fractal Design Define R6 TG | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
    Razer: Blackwidow Elite | Basilisk Ultimate | Nari Ultimate| Firefly | NZXT Hue+

If you buy a cheap printer, you'll pay more money than a new printer would cost whenever you need to replace the ink/toner.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azurenys View Post
    Greetings, fellow travelers of the off-topic section!

I'm a real noob when it comes to printers, only knowing there's toners to be changed and how to choose Print from a menu.
    Now I'm looking to buy one as a gift to my girl, with a tiny budget.

I'm not looking for links to shops or anything, more like a guidance towards the most efficent (cost wise) ones.

It'll be used to print colored pictures and maybe some text.

Which of the types that exist is cheaper when it comes to maitanance? I know cartriges/toners cost a lot, hence I'm asking.
    What brand or type should I avoid? Will buying a cheaper printer turn around and bite me in the rear long-term?

Please, assist my misinformed self with this issue and I promise many thanks and virtual cookies with warm milk for you all!
    I dunno about toners (never had one that needed that...) but if she'd want to print good quality photos then personally I'd consider an HP or Epson. (Assuming those are available where you are.) Mine have lasted me a good long time and better than a cheap off-brand in the long run.