World of Casualcraft

I've learned that blizzard has a very predictable cycle. When an expansion announcement is getting close blizzard starts getting the hardcore players excited by telling them that they've made mistakes in the past and pushed the game too far toward being casual.

Then when the expansion beta gets close more and more info comes out that they're actually pushing the game to be MORE casual

It's been that way for every expansion since lich king.

And you have to keep in mind that they hired the head of PopCap games a few years ago. Popcap is the kings of casual gaming. They've made bejeweled, peggle, and other casual shit.

Blizzard Hires Casual Games Guru From PopCap

The former general manager of Xbox Live Arcade and v.p. at Peggle studio PopCap is going to Blizzard. Let the development speculation begin.

Kotaku has learned that Greg Canessa, the man who ran Xbox Live Arcade at the Xbox 360's launch for Microsoft and has since served as vice president of game platforms at PopCap is joining the team at World of Warcraft and Diablo studio Blizzard.

Blizzard has shown an interest in casual gaming recently, weaving PopCap's popular Peggle game into WoW earlier this year and Bejeweled before it.

kotaku.c om/5249843/blizzard-hires-casual-games-guru-from-popcap

Pet battles, Transmogs, Farms, Garrisons, LFR, Flex, Free Epics....There's your reason.

Not a bad thing. As long as hardcore players have compelling content like quality raid content and some grinds for cosmetic stuff, why does it bother me? I'll be able to partake in the same content as the casual players.

edit: It's not like they're making content that takes 10 minutes to complete and then only heroic raids to only cover two extreme sides of the spectrum. They've been striking a middleground. I don't expect Blizzard to make content solely to suit my own personal interests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

10+ Year Old Account
    Their game, they can make it however they want and they can hire whoever they want to work on it. Blizzard doesn't need anyone's approval, yours included.

Thank you for this very informative and insightful post.

I am glad we have been able to clear up the distinction and differences in everyone's opinion on what content is casual and what content is not casual when an expansion is being developed. With these new insights maybe we can finally end the Great Casual Forum Debate & War of 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013.

Also, I am more likely to think that Greg Canessa worked more console/mini game content in Warcraft than leading the move towards casual content since he was hired in 2009.
    I have been chosen by the big metal hand in the sky!

1. This is four year old "news".

2. WoW has always been casual and done hardcore poorly

10+ Year Old Account
    /pat I'm sorry.

You realize of course that many players are old enough and/or busy enough that many could be considered casual, and are probably a large chunk of the player base. So why's it a crime again..?

Deleted
    Yeah, I'm just going to put this here.

Also thanks for reminding me that Peggle hasn't been compatible with the game for like 3 years.

I miss that shit! Peggle fights during raid breaks were awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Semi-Casual-Hardcore View Post
    its been this way since launch.

im so sick of people like you.

wow was casual as shit when it came out, bc was casual as shit compared to vanilla.

wow was casual when it came out and as times change it gets more casual, cata tried to make it a little less casual and it failed.

you werent playing a "hardcore" game in vanilla and bc. you were playing the carebear game.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Semi-Casual-Hardcore View Post
    I've learned that blizzard has a very predictable cycle. When an expansion announcement is getting close blizzard starts getting the hardcore players excited by telling them that they've made mistakes in the past and pushed the game too far toward being casual.

Then when the expansion beta gets close more and more info comes out that they're actually pushing the game to be MORE casual

And you have to keep in mind that they hired the head of PopCap games a few years ago. Popcap is the kings of casual gaming. They've made bejeweled, peggle, and other casual shit.

kotaku.c om/5249843/blizzard-hires-casual-games-guru-from-popcap

Pet battles, Transmogs, Farms, Garrisons, LFR, Flex, Free Epics....There's your reason.
    Opinions

Mine is "you are shit"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    its been this way since launch.

im so sick of people like you.

wow was casual as shit when it came out, bc was casual as shit compared to vanilla.

wow was casual when it came out and as times change it gets more casual, cata tried to make it a little less casual and it failed.

you werent playing a "hardcore" game in vanilla and bc. you were playing the carebear game.
    Relax tough guy, we respect your studliness.

OP: This unclever snark is older than the Wrathgate cutscene, but thanks for the nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Amorise View Post
    Not a bad thing. As long as hardcore players have compelling content like quality raid content and some grinds for cosmetic stuff, why does it bother me? I'll be able to partake in the same content as the casual players.

edit: It's not like they're making content that takes 10 minutes to complete and then only heroic raids to only cover two extreme sides of the spectrum. They've been striking a middleground. I don't expect Blizzard to make content solely to suit my own personal interests.
    I'm going to invoke Zero Punctuation's Yahtzee here, and say that casual games are okay, and hardcore games are okay. But a game that tries to have it both ways pisses me off.

oh, crazy - I was about to holler about someone necro'ing a 9 year old thread from 2004, and turns out someone new just now realized WoW is designed with casuals in mind.

but yeah, "World of Casualcraft" was coined by EQ players a decade ago. Nothing new to see here...moving on.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is really old news and a one-post poster who signs up to post and then signs off again just leads me to believe there is nothing more here than an attempt to stir up something (what, I can't figure out just yet) on the forums.

Closing.