10+ Year Old Account

Help me with Fire

Hey there MMO, I don't post all that often but since I can't really find anyone to help me out(Kuni sucks at fire), I thought I'd come to the collective. So I'm having some problems with Fire, I'm an okay Mage, definitely not the best and I'm not sure where my problems are coming from. I just can't seem to get that massive ignite I used to see back in ToT and there's no way 180k ignites are normal, or are they? I see a fair 50/50 split with most Mages either going full haste or reaching a haste break point for Combustion and then going mastery, which the latter was how you geared in ToT and I lean towards the full haste because it just feels better, but if it's wrong I have no issue swapping. I'm also not too sure on how or when to use the 4pc, I generally use it when I have Heat Up!, just to get the buff and so I don't refresh Pyroblast!. I ALWAYS wait on PBoI+Pyroblast+Heating Up! before I AT, most of the time I'll have the 4pc buff up too, but that still doesn't seem to give me that crazy satisfaction of hitting Combustion and knowing all that effort in timing was worth it. So I'll just break down my questions into an easy format so you all can maybe help me.

1. Better use of 4pc Fire?
    2. Glyph or Unglyphed Combustion?
    3. Combustion on CD or within a certain amount of time of coming off CD? This is probably my biggest issue, it's extremely hard for me to throw combustion out on a meager ignite, but if I'm supposed to what minimum ignite should I throw it out on? Should I hold it and wait for adds so I can pad?
    4. Full Haste or Haste break point-> Mastery?
    5. If PBoI has just gone on ICD before Combustion comes off CD, should I wait for it or try to get Combustion off with Totem+JS?
    6. Garrosh Int trinket worth using over Totem?

I don't have any logs of Fire right now, I JUST switched Wednesday night after raid. Been Arc since 5.4 and I'm a whole lot rusty, any tips and tricks would be much appreciated, especially for SiegecrafterHC. q:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ynips/advanced

I've also read the Fire Mage guide but it's last edit was in April and I don't know how up to date it is.

I don't know if this really deserves a new thread as most of the info is easily available around the forums. But as you seem to be a new user and Fire ain't really "the thing" anymore outside of the WF progression guilds, I'll let this roll for a while.

1. 4pc every time for both T15 and T16
    2. Depends. 90% of the time Glyphed is better, but if there is a mechanic that devalues Glyphing, then naturally unglyphed would be better. But running with Glyph all the time is in no way a wrong choice.
    3. If you know something is going to proc in the next few seconds or there is a huge buff available at some point, naturally you should not use it on CD, but in most cases with RPPM trinkets, it's really just better to use Combustion on CD.
    4. Now haven't played Fire since the combustion nerf, but I believe that the correct way still is Max crit, haste breakpoint, mastery, haste.
    5. As with 4 haven't raided since the patch hit, so don't know the trinket mechanics too well, but if the other 1 is RPPM, so no you should not wait, just get combustion out with the ICD trinket proc.
    6. Don't know.

I'll fill in where greenie left off:

4. Crit>haste>mastery. Pretty much end of story. Per Vykina: "Since 5.4 Haste will now be a lot more attractive to stack over Mastery due to the Combustion nerf. We now should focus on pumping out as many Pyroblasts as possible and more Haste will allow us to do this."
    5. I'm guessing you mean if PBoI has just come off ICD? If it's just come off ICD, then I would say yes, wait for it, because it should proc generally soon. If you meant on CD, then definitely don't wait for it.
    6. BBoY > KTT if the ilevels are the same. I'm unsure if, say, Flex BBoY is better than the normal version of KTT, but I know BBoY is better than KTT for fire mages if the ilevels are the same.

2. Glyph combustion, all the time.
    3. With the combustion nerf, it is not as crucial to wait for the stars to align and get that perfect ignite. Use it on cooldown, generally, any ignite over 100K is a decent time to use it. Just make sure the boss will be up long enough for the full 20 seconds to tick (i.e. Immerseus).
    4. Mastery is pretty awful now, so just stack crit>haste>mastery, without worrying about any break points.
    6. BBoY pulls slightly ahead with the same iLvls. However, the difference is so marginal that a Warforged KTT, for example, will be better than normal BBoY. If the item levels are different, use the higher one, otherwise use BBoY.

Quote Originally Posted by Bareback View Post
    1. Better use of 4pc Fire?
    You mean how to use it in your rotation?
    Just do the normal rotation, nothing has changed. Be sure to have the buff up before you start your pyrochain for combustion. If you are lucky midfight and Fireball and Pyroblast both criting like 10 times in a row, there is no need to cast Inferno Blast for the buff. Other than that, you can try to use the 4pc to keep your 2pc buff up (kind of advanced gameplay for some situations).

2. Glyph or Unglyphed Combustion?
    Glyphed Combustion is better in 95% of all fights.
    I assume you doing Siegcrafter progression ... if your raid hates you and you have to do the belt stuff than it can be good to unglyph it.

3. Combustion on CD or within a certain amount of time of coming off CD? This is probably my biggest issue, it's extremely hard for me to throw combustion out on a meager ignite, but if I'm supposed to what minimum ignite should I throw it out on? Should I hold it and wait for adds so I can pad?
    Depends on the boss and/or your trinkets. Since Combustion is all about your Ignite it can be worth to wait some seconds, but you always cast it after your pyrospam (Heating Up + Pyroblast! + PoM + 4pc = minimum of 3 Pyroblasts, 6 with Alter Time)

Trinkets:
    I personally wait for ICD trinkets if they have less than 10 seconds cooldown on the procc.
    I personally don't wait for RPPM trinkets (except for the first combustion on bosspull sometimes).

Minimum Ignite?
    Can be tricky sometimes ... as I said: just cast Combustion after the pyrospam.
    My frist Combustion on bosspull with all CDs is usually between 320k-400k if I'm not extremly unlucky (fuck you ICD trinket and/or no crits).
    If I'm unlucky midfight and the 3 Pyroblasts don't crit my Ignite is like 100k-120k --> shit combustion but not worth to wait.

Wait for adds for spreading?
    Hmm you can do that. Could be good for the bats on Thok ... or if you are a scumbag DPS on Protectors and Garrosh

4. Full Haste or Haste break point-> Mastery?
    They are really close after you reached the breakpoint. I prefer Haste > Mastery, because I like to cast faster and it's easier to keep the 2pc buff up.

5. If PBoI has just gone on ICD before Combustion comes off CD, should I wait for it or try to get Combustion off with Totem+JS?
    Don't wait for it, the ICD is too high.

6. Garrosh Int trinket worth using over Totem?
    Trinket with higher ilvl wins (they are really close)

If you have any questions I can recommend Vykinas Fire Mage Guide on Method Forums. It's just the best guide out there.
    Damn it's 5:30am ... time for some sleep