Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Upgrading any processor as recent as a 2500k is a waste of money for gaming at this point, wait until big leaps are made.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Its a parameter that can be added in Config.wtf file that is forcing WOW to run on particular number and position of processor cores. There is a wiki page about it but i cannot post links yet as a new user here. Try typing in google 'cpu affinity mask wow' and its the 1st hit. There is a table for all processors up to 8 threads e.g. 15 for 4 core, 255 for 8 etc...
    Last edited by gandalfsivi; 2013-12-03 at 01:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gandalfsivi View Post
    Tnx for the link.
    The question there is: was the guy that was performing the test aware of cpuaffinitymask line that is a MUST to force WOW to run on all cores for some set ups. I dont have to put it on my 3570k for the game to use all cores, but on my laptop with 2630QM i have to put that afinity mask to 255 to get more than 10fps.
    Even if they didn't, the test was conducted on all processors under the same circumstances.
    Besides, WoW only has 3 threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    WoW only has 3 threads.
    This part I am really interested in. Have anything official about this 3 threads max?

10+ Year Old Account
    This part I am really interested in. Have anything official about this 3 threads max?

Nothing really significant happens above three. The sixcore part is probably some issue regarding AMD's architecture.
    For WoW, you're best off getting a quadcore with the highest per-core performance. Right now the 4670K/4770K are your best bet.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2013-12-03 at 01:40 PM.

It maybe so, but maybe its using all 6 cores.

Tnx for the link.
    The question there is: was the guy that was performing the test aware of cpuaffinitymask line that is a MUST to force WOW to run on all cores for some set ups. I dont have to put it on my 3570k for the game to use all cores, but on my laptop with 2630QM i have to put that afinity mask to 255 to get more than 10fps.
    Something else is wrong with your laptop installation of wow, because you do not need to do this. Make sure you have set 100% as highest processor state in power features.

10+ Year Old Account
    It maybe so, but maybe its using all 6 cores.
    No, you can't have no scaling on 4 and 5, and then suddenly on 6. My guess it has something to do with AMD's 6cores actually being tricores.

No, you can't have no scaling on 4 and 5, and then suddenly on 6. My guess it has something to do with AMD's 6cores actually being tricores.
    This is not the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    This is not the case.
    Has to be tolerance or something internally related to the specific model though. WoW only has 3 threads.
    The only thing besides IPC that WoW scales with is cache memory. Hence the reason the 3960x is so high on the list earlier.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2013-12-03 at 02:37 PM.

WoW only has 3 threads.
    The only thing besides IPC that WoW scales with is cache memory.
    Its incredible to me that all of this isn't known officially, and it has to be speculated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its incredible to me that all of this isn't known officially, and it has to be speculated.
    In truth, that's what a great deal of information we both debate, and take as fact, is. Hardware reviewers often dig up bits of gold in the process of testing new and engineering class hardware, and it's up to the internet to find the answers.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab