Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    What if a bird hits it...
    Birds haven't been flying for millions of years because they make a habit of running into other things in the sky. Birdstrike isn't so much a case of birds running into planes as it is planes running into birds; these seem like they'd be slow and low enough that birds would notice and avoid them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unmanned aircraft for cargo flights is only a matter of time. This is a bit more personal service than I expected but the technology has to start somewhere. Will this be out next year, no. Will it ever be out, most likely in some form. Then again 50 years ago people assumed that a vacuum tube would deliver their mail by now.
    You either die a Varian, or live long enough to see yourself become a Thrall...

10+ Year Old Account
    Have it tie to the GPS on your phone so it delivers to your location no matter where that location is! On the toilet? well fuck you, here's that christmas tree you ordered! *thwomp*
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Deleted
    Fake and gay.

This won't be possible for many many years, the cost is simply too high. You need a drone for every single package, way too expensive to build that. This might be possible to pull off to people living in the same city as the company building but to other countries? No way. Perhaps in the future? Yes.

Deleted
    - What if a bird hits it...or there is wind turbulence

What if a truck driver hits another car, or a deer? This can happen too with the current system of shipping by truck.

- Or what if the thing can't land on proper ground (not everyone owns a perfect doorway. Some people live in apartment complexes too)

Then it will be dropped off at the same place as the UPS driver would, or if you don't have a spot to have it dropped off, choose another delivery option.

I don't know...just seems odd...[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Werrezer View Post
    Fake and gay.

This won't be possible for many many years, the cost is simply too high. You need a drone for every single package, way too expensive to build that. This might be possible to pull off to people living in the same city as the company building but to other countries? No way. Perhaps in the future? Yes.
    You are aware that they already deliver stuff with friggin TRUCKS/VANS with friggin HUMAN DRIVERS as it is, right? Have you any idea how much cheaper a little UAV is than a truck and a human driver, spendingmuch of their expensive time stuck in traffic?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Fake and gay.

How is it fake or gay? I mean it's on Amazon's website and on other news mediums. Also, how is it gay? As for your legitimate questions it wouldn't be every package for one. You are aware there are currently multiple means of getting something delivered at varying rates right? Next day is like $18 I am sure the fee for this service would be more than that don't you? How is it possible to get stuff to other countries? Well I am guessing you are unaware Amazon has these funny processing warehouses all over the world that they ship items from. I would imagine it would be similar to that. Note they claim they want it to be around a 30 minute delivery time that does not mean all will be in delivered in 30 minutes.

Deleted
    Here are 5 reasons why Amazon Prime Air is a fantasy that will never become reality:

1. Hunters, or anyone else with access to a gun, will use those things as target practice. I must admit that having an Amazon unmanned drone on my mantel would be pretty darn cool.

2. No lawyer would greenlight this idea. Imagine those blades tangling with a small child on their front lawn. Yeah, no.

3. Why would Amazon put all that effort into a delivery system that could only ship the smallest of items? Rarely does anything I order fit in a tub for baby wipes.

4. Speaking of those baby wipes tubs, where do they go after delivery? Does the drone come back to pick it up? Do you mail the tub back? Do you get to keep it?

5. If a rival delivery service got upset about lost business, what would stop those companies from creating a fleet of attack drones that would fly around and battle Amazon drones with lasers?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Itakas View Post
    - Requires ppl to actually see it comng so they can pick up the package it leaves.
    It would be funny if it followed you around until you took the package out of it. I can even foresee the headlines on some local newspaper: " Man followed by small alien spacecraft in plain day. Panic everywhere"

If a rival delivery service got upset about lost business, what would stop those companies from creating a fleet of attack drones that would fly around and battle Amazon drones with lasers?
    that would be awesome,i would love to see two or more little mail drones dogfighting in the sky with little lasers!
    Last edited by jedah420; 2013-12-02 at 10:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The idea is not bad but....it would need to use a flying saucer tehnology.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

I wonder how they're going to get them everywhere they deliver in 30 minutes unless they start popping Warehouses all over the world.

Deleted
    Someone has been playing too much Simcity it seems.

A few problems :

Package falls and breaks

Package falls and hits someone

Drone falls and hits somone

Drone delivers to the wrong address

Drone shot down (would be pretty easy to do)

Can easily steal the package as it is left outside

Can only deliver small stuff

People would lose jobs.

So all in all i can't see it happening.

Here are 5 reasons why Amazon Prime Air is a fantasy that will never become reality:

1. Hunters, or anyone else with access to a gun, will use those things as target practice. I must admit that having an Amazon unmanned drone on my mantel would be pretty darn cool.

2. No lawyer would greenlight this idea. Imagine those blades tangling with a small child on their front lawn. Yeah, no.

3. Why would Amazon put all that effort into a delivery system that could only ship the smallest of items? Rarely does anything I order fit in a tub for baby wipes.

4. Speaking of those baby wipes tubs, where do they go after delivery? Does the drone come back to pick it up? Do you mail the tub back? Do you get to keep it?

5. If a rival delivery service got upset about lost business, what would stop those companies from creating a fleet of attack drones that would fly around and battle Amazon drones with lasers?
    The only valid complaint here is 3. Can they deliver large items or multiple items at once? Number 2 is semi relevant (that these might be dangerous to operate in public) but I doubt these would be falling out of the sky enough (or at all) to pose much of a liability risk. The other complaints (target practice? ...) are irrelevant because is cases 1 and 5, you're talking about illegal activity, and in 4, you're bringing up something that may simply be a non-issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they can make this 'society-proof' this is a really really cool idea.

It's amazing how many people on this forum have immediately jumped to the conclusion that the fun thing would be to shoot these down / destroy them for sport.
    Last edited by Berri; 2013-12-02 at 10:28 AM.

Deleted
    For the people who are worried about weather when it comes to this, quad-copters are quite stable. Have a home built one myself, and I can fly that in most weathers. Anything apart from a storm works pretty well.

The weight of the package is what I would see as the main issue here. I don't know how much their drones can carry, but the quad-copters I have seen before would not be able to take any large payload. Ofcourse, one would hope that Amazon can build something a bit better then what I can do in my living room...

Edit: Just noticed from those pics that it actually uses 6 or 8 rotors (hard to see from picture, can't watch videos at work). I guess that would make it a bit more powerful.
    Last edited by mmocad991e1826; 2013-12-02 at 10:53 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Berri View Post
    If they can make this 'society-proof' this is a really really cool idea.

It's amazing how many people on this forum have immediately jumped to the conclusion that the fun thing would be to shoot these down / destroy them for sport.
    People steal stuff now, it'd be even easier so its safe to assume this would be pretty common.

One question: WHERE THE HELL WILL IT KNOW WHRE TO DROP THE PACKAGE OFF? Are they gonna pre-program 45345345 off these flying planes, so MR. Johnson will always get his package inn his garage and not down the street:&
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    Can't wait to see the cost of this service.
    Yeah.

But other than that...that's actually a really exciting thing. Unfortunately I'm afraid it won't be available in Europa for even longer. :|

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    Yeah.

But other than that...that's actually a really exciting thing. Unfortunately I'm afraid it won't be available in Europa for even longer. :|
    Amazon has a lot of items, just too bad it blows for Europeans.. Half of the items I try to order can't be sent to Europe and if it can the import fees are huge( Just the other day I tried to order 50 dollar Naga which was on sale, then when I got to confirmation page it said 110 total.. 60 dollars for import fees and shipping, yeah I cancelled that again ).. I know there's Amazon UK as an alternative but all the cool stuff are found on Amazon.com Such a shame, cus I like to use Amazon.
    Last edited by mmoc18049c7cff; 2013-12-02 at 11:06 AM.

There is already a book store that delivers books in an identical manner in Australia. I do not remember the name.

My biggest concern would be people stealing the drones. Those things aren't cheap.