Reviving an old friend

Long story short, I'm attempting at reviving a 5 year old friend of mine, a desktop which has been in storage for a few years now.

Upon reassembly, the computer no longer seems capable of sending a signal to my display. I tried both HDMI and DVI connectors and both told me "No Signal Detected". Unfortunately I have no alternate monitor but my current one works fine as an external monitor (through HDMI) and serves as a TV. I tried a different graphics card as some LED indicators on my first one showed some temperature issues, but still not capable of sending any sort of signal to the monitor.

This leads me to believe that:
    a) Somehow the monitor is broken/bad cables (tried many different cables with and without adapters)
    b) Motherboard is failing on me. (Tried different PCI slots as well).

Seeing as I'm a student, I'm unable to afford a new computer in one go, so I looked into the alternatives of upgrading over a period of a few months, especially since many of the components still seem to be working (computer still boots up with no error beeps at least, and seems to be capable of running for over 15mins).

So what I'm hoping to get out of this thread is 2 things.
    Firstly, if someone has any idea if I should be checking any of the other components that could be faulty? I would like to avoid replacing things that might still be working.

Secondly, what should I be replacing the things with. My budget is around €300 for now.

I've been looking at the following to get started with:
    Intel Core i5-4670K
    Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H, Socket-1150
    Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9 (Might skip this for now, as I've got 4GB of DDR2 still laying around)

Any ideas?

Deleted
    As for why its not sending any signals to display I'd bet on bad monitor seeing how you've checked with different graphics cards. If there was no graphics card installed/detected by system I think it would not boot normally - error beeps or other indications. Is the pc speaker connected?

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9 (Might skip this for now, as I've got 4GB of DDR2 still laying around)
    It doesn't work that way, ddr2 and 3 are not compatible, unless both cpu and motherboard support both you cant do that.\

Also you need more then cpu, mb and ram. You need proper PSU and your old one might not be fitting and you do need working monitor too.

Imo do following:
    -confirm that it's your monitor that is broken - get one from friend to test
    if it is get new one, even used one for time being.

-save up money and buy everything in one go - you could get better deal/newer tech

Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    As for why its not sending any signals to display I'd bet on bad monitor seeing how you've checked with different graphics cards. If there was no graphics card installed/detected by system I think it would not boot normally - error beeps or other indications. Is the pc speaker connected?
    I haven't checked PC speaker yet, should think it is, will check when I get home. However I don't understand how the monitor would still work fine with HDMI from other external sources (laptop and digital box for TV) but not pick up signal from my desktop PC.

It doesn't work that way, ddr2 and 3 are not compatible, unless both cpu and motherboard support both you cant do that.
    Ah, I see. Thought they were backwards-compatible.

Also you need more then cpu, mb and ram. You need proper PSU and your old one might not be fitting and you do need working monitor too.
    I currently have a 750W PSU in the case at the moment, when I wrote this I was under the assumption that both current graphics card and monitor are working. Which leaves me only need a new mobo, cpu and memory to get it running. If a monitor is needed I'll end up getting one of those as well (in due time :P).

Imo do following:
    -confirm that it's your monitor that is broken - get one from friend to test
    if it is get new one, even used one for time being.

-save up money and buy everything in one go - you could get better deal/newer tech
    I'll pull some strings, see if someone has a spare monitor lying around that I could try with.
    Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Since this thread is (also) about upgrades, I've gone ahead and moved this to the sub-forum.