Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    never really heard anyone say USA has no culture, that would be wierd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Define the American Culture.
    Habits, traditions, art etc. that are common to Americans. For example thanksgiving, super bowl, strong support of "freedom" and liberalism, American music(don't really know anything else but the common pop music made solely for $ so can't really give any examples) and so forth.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    We're Australia with more guns, less cunts, more walmarts, more Subway restaurants, and more freedom*
    And cheaper games and we'll rot in jail for a long time pirating said games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh it has culture. Our culture is just kind of bad.

I think I know the answer to this (stupid people are stupid) and I'm mainly asking this out of boredom, but why do a lot of people, especially Europeans, say that America has no culture? We have a rich culture that influences the world more than any other single nation, yet to some we live in a culture less wasteland rife with horrors. I mean, I joke about Canada not having a culture but I am not serious. I've met people in real life that don't believe we have one culture, let alone dozens if not more major cultures. This isn't an observation or argument about the quality or merits of our culture as that's another discussion entirely.

I just ask where tho perspective springs from?
    I think you're confusing the notion of culture as a set of traits and the notion of culture as the idea of refinement or class.

Because we're certainly hurting for one of those.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Were you there when it was written? I suspect not. Stop spreading this anti-American nonsense.
    Can't be more anti-American than the King James/New King James bible.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Unless you count the population of New Jersey.
    Lmfao, this is golden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubathingy View Post
    But anyway it's OK to be jelly of the tallest midget.

I think it's because they're looking at Shakespeare and Beethoven versus Honey Boo Boo and Kim Kardashian.

Not really a fair comparison though.

America certainly has the world's most dominant pop culture. And if you think about it, what is culture if it isn't popular?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puuhis View Post
    Habits, traditions, art etc. that are common to Americans. For example thanksgiving, super bowl, strong support of "freedom" and liberalism, American music(don't really know anything else but the common pop music made solely for $ so can't really give any examples) and so forth.
    One holiday, a sports game watched for the commercials, a ideological view shared with many other Western countries, and poorly defined music that is also shared with other countries does not a culture make.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're Australia with more guns, less cunts, more walmarts, more Subway restaurants, and more freedom*
    I meant define what you mean by culture, as it is such a broad category that even types of occupations can have a culture.

...less cunts...
    Less that are worth shagging, which isn't great considering you have over ten times as many to choose from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I think it's because they're looking at Shakespeare and Beethoven versus Honey Boo Boo and Kim Kardashian.

Not really a fair comparison though.

America certainly has the world's most dominant pop culture. And if you think about it, what is culture if it isn't popular?
    Culture normally transcends generations, pop culture generally does not.

From the point of view of someone living accross USA border.... Holywood, MTV make you look bad

And yeah, American bacon is better than fucking canadian bacon

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    You forgot we also have fewer poisonous animals.
    Trivia time!

The last recorded death from a spider bite in Australia was in 1979. Unprovoked* fatal snake bites occur at a rate of about 4 per decade (less than in the US), almost all of these are from people way out in the bush far from medical attention.

*Omits the highest risk category of fatal snake bites - improper handling of snakes by PROFESSIONAL SNAKE HANDLERS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Culture normally transcends generations, pop culture generally does not.
    Does it? Shakespeare and Beethoven are enjoyed by very few people on a regular basis in the modern world. They are extinct culture preserved in amber.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post
    From the point of view of someone living accross USA border.... Holywood, MTV make you look bad

isn't Canadian bacon just normal back bacon? over here we got both streaky and back bacon, i prefer streaky!

Probably stems from the fact that America's history is so short compared to the rest of the world. Also because a lot of American culture has roots that originate from other cultures/regions. I don't think it to be true mind you, "No Culture" is a bit extreme but comparatively less culture and history is probably accurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Don't you dare ruin my image of Australia.
    Notice they didn't mention the last time a koala killed someone...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Trivia time!

The last recorded death from a spider bite in Australia was in 1979. Unprovoked* fatal snake bites occur at a rate of about 4 per decade (less than in the US), almost all of these are from people way out in the bush far from medical attention.

*Omits the highest risk category of fatal snake bites - improper handling of snakes by PROFESSIONAL SNAKE HANDLERS.

- - - Updated - - -

Does it? Shakespeare and Beethoven are enjoyed by very few people on a regular basis in the modern world. They are extinct culture preserved in amber.
    Yet even my parents and children know who they are, which cannot be said of most current pop culture "icons" of my day, or my parents day, or of the current crop of rather sad "icons". Then again, I prefer Beethoven to any of the crappy "musicians" my kids listen to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    isn't Canadian bacon just normal back bacon? over here we got both streaky and back bacon, i prefer streaky!
    Canadian bacon has the memorys of Smoked Maple Syrup, the fragrance of civil rights and an aroma of french cuisine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Notice they didn't mention the last time a koala killed someone...
    Drop bear attacks are quite frequent the media just keeps those under disclosure.
    Last edited by mmocd79acbf389; 2013-12-03 at 02:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post

Indeed American bacon is the best.... however i will concede that bacon tastes better with maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because we lack posh british accents and tea time.