Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Not sure about a pint. That's half a liter right? (srry we don't use the term pint here so I dont know) But normal glasses of beer are around €1,60/€2,20 here in Holland. It also depends on the region. In busy cities it's more expensive while in small towns you pay way less for a beer.

10+ Year Old Account
    5 quid for a pint? What the frig you ordering?

10+ Year Old Account
    My parents actually just returned from a business trip in Geneva, mentioned this one pub they went too where two drinks cost them upwards of $40 AUS. Needless to say they wernt pleased.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    And you where in central / south Europe, everything cheap down there*, compared to up north.. : )
    *usually

i heard from friend in Norway that beer in UK is actually cheap, lol.
    That would most likely be true, everything is expensive as hell here... : )

A quick look at cost of living here: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...ayCurrency=USD

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xothic View Post
    My parents actually just returned from a business trip in Geneva, mentioned this one pub they went too where two drinks cost them upwards of $40 AUS. Needless to say they wernt pleased.
    Thats about the normal rate for drinks in Norway

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellus View Post
    Expensive!

I'll preface this by saying I'm American, so I'm very familiar and use to the US Dollar.

A few months ago I moved to Europe, and within the last four months I've traveled to England, Ireland, Germany, Spain, Belgium, and Italy, and I'm astounded at the prices of things. The Euro is around 1.36 US Dollars at the moment and the pound is 1.63 US Dollars. I can see and understand the economics of why bills are stronger, but why is there absolutely no consistent prices anywhere? In the US I can get a pint at a bar for 5 Dollars, but when I come to Europe, it's still 5 Euro (almost 7 US Dollars) and in England it's still 5 Pounds (around 8 US Dollars).

Payroll I hear isn't much different in correlation to the US, so why is everything significantly more expensive in Europe? Why isn't everyone moving to the US and increasing their money's value by 50%?

TLDR: Why are beers 5 US dollars in the United States, but 7 (5 Euros) in the EU or 8 (5 Pounds) US dollars in the UK
    The average price for a pint of beer in England is £3 to £3.50 ($5 to $5.75).

You were gipped.

Or perhaps you're comparing central London prices to rural Nowheresville.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    5 quid for a pint? What the frig you ordering?
    Several Pubs around a few burroughs in london, was pretty consistently 5 pounds from Cider to Guinness

10+ Year Old Account
    Several Pubs around a few burroughs in london, was pretty consistently 5 pounds from Cider to Guinness
    Which boroughs?

Don't compare the US to EU as US is kind of 1 country and EU is a collection of several different countries, with their own government, tax-rates, prices and stuff.

I'll add that a pint in my local is still under £3

10+ Year Old Account
    A couple of small areas in the most expensive part of the UK does not equate to the UK price of things

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Which boroughs?
    Westminster and Camden

Deleted
    if you stop paying Hotel prices in London and actually go to a pub not in London or even some in London you'll be paying no more than £3.50 for a top brand of beer.

A pint is 568 ml btw. For those who were wondering.
    Last edited by mmocc00fd8677d; 2013-12-04 at 10:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    5 quid a pint? Were you in London? It's more expensive there than average. In my hometown on the south coast ~3 pound a pint or less is common for standard lagers/beers. Speciality beers would set you back a bit more.
    ~€5 a pint seems to be common in the Netherlands, based on my experience in the Randstad area (Amsterdam, The Hague, Rotterdam and Utrecht). It's common for beer to be served in smaller glasses here though, so the prices of those would be lower.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

10+ Year Old Account
    Westminster and Camden
    Central London and a tourist trap.

Hmm, I wonder why you paid £5...

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    American Craft Beer is the best in the world at the moment.
    bwahahahahaha. hahaha. haha! ok, i can breathe again.

@op:
    i don't think your numbers are correct. where i live, a beer (0.4 litres) is more like 3.50 € - 4.00 €. also, i don't think your guesswork about "everyone earns the same" is very flawed - you might check these numbers as well. be prepared for a surprise.

Some countries have retarded prices for beer, like France, like 3 euros for a little glass. Germany on the other hand, is the beer heaven. I went once with a colleague to a restaurant near the Munich airport and I got a pint with 2.5 euros. He ordered bottled water, which was also small, like 250ml glass bottle. His shit was 4.5 euros. Unfortunately he didn't check the price before. In France you want to order wine, not beer

But some countries are just retardedly expensive in general. Northern Europe, for example. Of course they don't mind, because they have a healthy income and shit.

Also it depends of the places you go in. If you see only people that look rich, get the fuck out.

Where the hell were you drinking in the UK? o.O

My favorites for when I'm visiting are ales and they're still only maximum £3.80 for a pint.

Netherlands we pay around €2,50/€2,85 a beer (pretty expensive for just a beer).

Went on holliday to Bulgaria and i paid rougly €0.50 a beer.

Deleted
    Thats your issue right there.

And if your traveling places, odds are your going to the touristy places, which are always more expensive, because you know, they want your money. They aren't called Tourist Traps for nothing.