Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Stand Your Ground Law Facing New Test In GA

The controversial legislation that allowed George Zimmerman to walk free after gunning down unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin last year in Florida is up for another probe, but this time it will be held in a Georgia criminal court.

Actually, I'm getting ahead of myself: I hope it will be held in a Georgia criminal court, as the Walker County sheriff's department is still unsure as to whether or not it will press charges against Joe Hendrix after he shot 74 year old Alzheimer's patient Ron Westbrook.

Here's the story:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/04...-ground-debate

It's going to be interesting to see how this case plays out now that the victim is a 74 year old white man with Alzheimer's and not a 17 year old black kid in a hoodie.

Deleted
    Boy, you aren't oozing bias are you?

Deleted
    I do love a fair, unbiased trial.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    The controversial legislation that allowed George Zimmerman to walk free after gunning down unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin last year in Florida is up for another probe, but this time it will be held in a Georgia criminal court.

Actually, I'm getting ahead of myself: I hope it will be held in a Georgia criminal court, as the Walker County sheriff's department is still unsure as to whether or not it will press charges against Joe Hendrix after he shot 74 year old Alzheimer's patient Ron Westbrook.

Here's the story:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/04...-ground-debate

It's going to be interesting to see how this case plays out now that the victim is a 74 year old white man with Alzheimer's and not a 17 year old black kid in a hoodie.

People need to educate themselves a little. Stand your ground was not called once in Zimmermans trail. He used self defense as his reasoning.

Stand your ground =/= self defense.

This was even in your link.

A similar law in Florida gained national attention during the trial of neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman for second-degree murder in the death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, though the law was not a part of Zimmerman's defense strategy.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post

As already stated, there's a large difference between a Self Defense scenario and one of Stand your Ground. Zimmerman's case was a self defense case and was tried as one.

Most cases of Stand your Ground usually occurs within a home.
    Professor Johnston often said that if you didn't know history, you didn't know anything. You were a leaf that didn't know it was part of a tree. ~Michael Crichton, Timeline

You mean now that the alleged shooter had no feasible way to feel in imminent danger, which is the cornerstone of the stand-your-ground law?

Apples and oranges, my friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    People need to educate themselves a little. Stand your ground was not called once in Zimmermans trail. He used self defense as his reasoning.

This was even in your link.
    Under these circumstances Joe Hendrix wouldn't have to invoke it either then, he could just say "self-defense" and walk.

What bothers me isn't so much the way we're talking about the law, it's how murder is coming to only be called murder when it's committed in a poor urban area. When somebody shoots another person in a suburb or a gated community, the excuses and semantics start flying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glormon View Post
    As already stated, there's a large difference between a Self Defense scenario and one of Stand your Ground. Zimmerman's case was a self defense case and was tried as one.

Most cases of Stand your Ground usually occurs within a home.

Not sure why you are quoting me? We are saying the same thing.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is the shooter black? (no)

So when they don't press charges (they probably shouldn't from what I read in the article), can white people claim racism because this white victim didn't get the "preferential" treatment that a young, black Tray got?

Baiters gonna bait I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Under these circumstances Joe Hendrix wouldn't have to invoke it either then, he could just say "self-defense" and walk.

What bothers me isn't so much the way we're talking about the law, it's how murder is coming to only be called murder when it's committed in a poor urban area. When somebody shoots another person in a suburb or a gated community, the excuses and semantics start flying.

Doesn't really work like that way though. In order to say self defense you have to prove there was a danger to him.

He will have a much better case using stand your ground laws.

Not sure why you are quoting me? We are saying the same thing.
    Isn't it a reinforcement of what you said? I apologies if I worded it in such a way that somehow contradicted or subtracted from your post.
    Professor Johnston often said that if you didn't know history, you didn't know anything. You were a leaf that didn't know it was part of a tree. ~Michael Crichton, Timeline

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glormon View Post
    Isn't it a reinforcement of what you said? I apologies if I worded it in such a way that somehow contradicted or subtracted from your post.

I wasn't sure if you were reading me wrong.

Deleted

Hmmm, manslaughter and murder would like a word with you. Your inherent bias clouds your rationale and makes you look silly, it's funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteoria View Post
    Hmmm, manslaughter and murder would like a word with you. Your inherent bias clouds your rationale and makes you look silly, it's funny.
    George Zimmerman was charged with second degree murder.

Intruders don't knock on doors til you wake up. So idiot felt he couldn't physically overpower a 72 year old with no drawn weapon, and couldn't shut the door and call the cops? I hope girl scouts and religious recruiters don't fall victim to "stand your ground" when they knock.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Intruders don't knock on doors til you wake up. So idiot felt he couldn't physically overpower a 72 year old with no drawn weapon, and couldn't shut the door and call the cops? I hope girl scouts and religious recruiters don't fall victim to "stand your ground" when they knock.
    I don't know about you, but my 72 year old father could still probably pick me up with 1 hand if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Do girl scouts and religious recruiters knock on doors at 4 am?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    I've had JWs pestering me at 6am.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    It could happen if one parent was like Despicable Me's Grew.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope girl scouts and religious recruiters don't fall victim to "stand your ground" when they knock.
    Girl scouts at 4 am?!