First time builder...tips/advice?

First off, I've read the stickies. I've watched the MaxPC video, and NewEgg's tutorial on building a PC. I've read ArcticSilver's TIM procedures. I like to research, so research I have. I have a few questions, and then I'd love to hear any tips/advice you guys have.

1) Do you guys do external builds before mounting your mobos? The NewEgg tutorial suggested building the whole thing outside the case practically, and then even toggling the power pins to see if you get a post beep (and then toggling them again to switch it off). My concerns are two-fold: I have a CPU cooler which has a case-mounted radiator. I don't envy the idea of having that thing flopping around while I'm mounting the mobo, or vice versa, if I try and put that in first. Secondly, I am a bit nervous to toggle power pins with a screwdriver like they suggested. Seems likely to invite disaster. They seem to suggest all this simply to make sure everything works before you put it in, but I'm not adverse to taking things out. I mean, really.

2) Thermal paste. The H80i I bought has it on the block already. And from everything I've read, it's a good fit with their heatsinks. Do I need to still do the dot on the CPU heatsink, or is the paste on the H80i more than enough?

Any other tips/advice? What would you say the biggest problems are for new builders? I'm a manual reader and an organized person, so cable management doesn't worry me too much.

Nah i never do a bench build, unnecessary step imo. Worst comes to worse you gotta take mobo back out, that takes what 1min?

No need for extra thermal paste, stuff that comes on the corsair is fine (you could get maybe 2 degress cooler by using an aftermarket paste but, meh).

As for general tips, most probably came in the newegg tutorial you watched. The most annoying part is hooking up the front panel connectors tbh, but most mobo's nowadays have adapters so you dont need to get down to mobo level to read the slots, just hook them up to adapter and then plug adapter into mobo. The other thing is cable management, let me just give one example of pre planning. Your CPU 8 pin power, if your case does not have an opening on the top left inside of the case for it to push through (most cases do) consider running that cable first under your motherboard, makes for a much tidier case this way. If you are using two devices with sata (hdd and ssd, or hdd and a cd burner etc) try and plan it so you only need to use one sata power cable from your psu, they usually have 3 sata plugs per cable on most PSU's.

Oh ya, mobo i/o shield. Obviously install this before your mobo, but also look at it and make sure there are no tabs that need to be pushed out first.

Outside that just take your time and have fun with it, and dont build your pc on carpet : P (i do mine on kitchen table, linoleum floors). No need to wear one of those wrist strap things, they are ridiculous lol. Just touch the case before you install a component.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh ya one more, use a magnetic tipped screwdriver!

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Nah i never do a bench build, unnecessary step imo. Worst comes to worse you gotta take mobo back out, that takes what 1min?

No need for extra thermal paste, stuff that comes on the corsair is fine (you could get maybe 2 degress cooler by using an aftermarket paste but, meh).

As for general tips, most probably came in the newegg tutorial you watched. The most annoying part is hooking up the front panel connectors tbh, but most mobo's nowadays have adapters so you dont need to get down to mobo level to read the slots, just hook them up to adapter and then plug adapter into mobo. The other thing is cable management, let me just give one example of pre planning. Your CPU 8 pin power, if your case does not have an opening on the top left inside of the case for it to push through (most cases do) consider running that cable first under your motherboard, makes for a much tidier case this way. If you are using two devices with sata (hdd and ssd, or hdd and a cd burner etc) try and plan it so you only need to use one sata power cable from your psu, they usually have 3 sata plugs per cable on most PSU's.

Oh ya, mobo i/o shield. Obviously install this before your mobo, but also look at it and make sure there are no tabs that need to be pushed out first.

Outside that just take your time and have fun with it, and dont build your pc on carpet : P (i do mine on kitchen table, linoleum floors). No need to wear one of those wrist strap things, they are ridiculous lol. Just touch the case before you install a component.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh ya one more, use a magnetic tipped screwdriver!
    Agreed. About the only thing you can screw up is bending cpu pins on the motherboard. Check the MB pins make sure none are bent before install. If they are, take the MB back. This is often the case with "open box" MB's. Triangle on the cpu = pin one. MB manual will show you where pin one goes. The notches with the cpu line up with the slot on the mb.

The front panel connectors have a triangle on the back of each one. Triangle = positive, so just follow the MB manual. The other connectors like USB.sound only fit one way (one pin is blocked).

If you had a big air cooler and a case without a hole on the motherboard plate (which makes aftermarket fans easy to install), then yeah I would put the fan on before putting the MB in. Most modern cases have a hole though and as long as it isn't a really small case it is as easy or easier to install the fan after.

If you have a big wooden bench you can hook up the psu, MB ram chip and see if it posts before doing all the pain in the butt cable management, but chances your stuff doesn't work is low, and most people are building it on their kitchen table.

Just be careful installing the CPU. Read the instructions and know what you are doing. That is about the only thing that would be a difficult return/RMA. Some places are really strict about bent cpu pins. If you get no post. Install one ram stick in 2nd slot. Alternate them. Chances you got 2 bad ram sticks are very slim.

I have a glass table in my living room on a hardwood floor. I imagine that's okay to build on?

Glass doesn't conduct electricity, does it? God, idk.

Id do it on the hardwood floor, no glass is fine id just be worried about breaking it lol. And its not a worry about conducting electricity, we say no carpets cause you can get a static charge on your fingers and cause a short, glass doesent do that : )