Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Jewelcrafting in WoD

I keep reading about how JC is going to be less valuable in WoD due to a decreased need for gems.

Can somebody link me anything with more information?

Will gear contain random sockets (ie, some gear will have it... and some won't based on RNG)? That's the gist I'm getting, but can't find any official information on the subject whatsoever.

15+ Year Old Account
    There will be less sockets, therefore less demand for stones. I'm not quite sure of the latter - elite raiders will swap their gems around quite a lot more often than now, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    There will be less sockets, therefore less demand for stones. I'm not quite sure of the latter - elite raiders will swap their gems around quite a lot more often than now, I think.
    Thanks for the reply. So gear will just have an overall lower amount of sockets? Meaning lower tier/LFR gear probably won't contain any.

I just don't know whether or not to hold on to this prof anymore. If JC is really going to be shit next xpac, I'd rather level BS so I can at least socket my own gear and craft decent blues for leveling.

I will wait until more official info comes out I guess. Frustrated because I have almost every cut in the game.

Deleted
    gonna assume in return they're going too add more ring/neck designs too keep it interresting.

Basically we have no info yet. We won't till beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    from what ive heard they will add trinket to jc as well and trinket to enchanting or vice versa.

Deleted
    Less valuable in gold making terms? It will still be a decent moneymaker, but you wont know until the beta. We have no way of knowing what the supply side will be like i.e availability of ore as we;; as how easy it will be to get gems. They could go up in price if they are rarer. We also dont know how easy it will be to rain the profession up to the next max. They getting rid of hit and expertise.

Deleted
    though while gemsockets sound to be rare in WoD, it's quite possible they will be a lot more common at the end of the expansion.
    just think about how the last tier in Cata and MoP contain tons of sockets (though ToT had a lot also in MoP), odds might be gems will be used a lot more at the end of the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by MMO-Loser View Post
    I keep reading about how JC is going to be less valuable in WoD due to a decreased need for gems.

Will gear contain random sockets (ie, some gear will have it... and some won't based on RNG)? That's the gist I'm getting, but can't find any official information on the subject whatsoever.
    with an avatar like that I would have expected many more replies.

Basically they are removing the 2, 3 gem slot items that we have been counting on to boost our numbers and making the available pool of gem slots fewer. They are also removing meta gems from helmets, so buh bye nifty legendary gem. They have stated that the gems you will have however will be twice as powerful. I believe that there was actually an excerpt from a blue post on the front page of this site not too long ago.

- - - Updated - - -

with an avatar like that I would have expected many more replies.

Basically they are removing the 2, 3 gem slot items that we have been counting on to boost our numbers and making the available pool of gem slots fewer. They are also removing meta gems from helmets, so buh bye nifty legendary gem. They have stated that the gems you will have however will be twice as powerful. I believe that there was actually an excerpt from a blue post on the front page of this site not too long ago.

Here is one of the original blue posts.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10703970357

Now that BlizzCon is over and Warlords of Draenor has been unveiled, we’ve been getting some additional questions about the gear changes currently planned for the expansion. To help shed some more light on what you can expect, we thought we’d take a bit of time to clarify a few things.

Keep in mind that as with anything still in development, the information we share now will likely change as we progress, but this should help give you a good understanding of our goals and thinking.

Armor Pieces: Head, Shoulders, Chest, Legs, Gloves, Belt, Boots, and Bracers

Primary Stats

One of our main intents for primary stats is to make sure that higher Item Level (ilvl) pieces from new content are almost always superior to items from older content. Further, the changes we’re making to primary stats will help make pieces more universal, so groups will find gear drops more useful more often. This means you’ll be disenchanting less Intellect plate (only usable by Paladins today) or Agility mail (only usable by Hunters and Enhancement Shamans today). As we discussed at BlizzCon, we’re accomplishing this by making it so primary stats for a given piece of gear will change based on your current spec, though it’s likely that only new gear added in Warlords will work like this, as it might be impossible to implement this for all existing gear. Here are some additional points to know regarding the changes to primary stats:

Armor pieces will always have some amount of Stamina and Armor value.
    Armor pieces always have Strength, Intellect, or Agility as a primary stat. Plate has either Strength or Intellect. Mail and Leather have either Agility or Intellect. Cloth has Intellect.
    In the cases of Plate, Mail, and Leather, the primary stat will change depending on your current spec. Specifically, casters (including healers) will get Intellect, and melee or tank specs will get Strength or Agility.

Secondary Stats

Our intent for secondary stats is to differentiate pieces that occupy the same slot, allow for player customization, and to further differentiate specs within a class. Here are a few important points regarding the changes that are currently planned for secondary stats:

Secondary stats don’t change based on spec on armor pieces (or any piece).
    Secondary stats on armor pieces can still include Haste, Crit, and/or Mastery.
    Secondary stats on armor pieces will no longer include Hit, Expertise, Dodge, or Parry. These are being retired in Warlords, and will likely be removed even from existing gear.
    Secondary stats on armor pieces will also no longer include Spirit, nor will they include Bonus Armor, which are reserved exclusively for non-armor pieces (which are explained below).
    In addition, secondary stats on armor pieces may include several new stats we are exploring such as Readiness, Amplify, and Multi-strike. Technical Game Designer Chadd “Celestalon” Nervig has been sharing more details about these on his Twitter account.

Additional Properties

Armor pieces may have three other properties at random. First, items may be higher Item Level than normal. For sake of this discussion, we’ll call these items Warforged for now.

Second, items may have gem sockets. Unlike gem sockets today, gem sockets in Warlords of Draenor will be rarer but more powerful. There will be no socket bonuses, but we are strongly considering requiring the right color gem for the socket. All gems will grant secondary stats, including Spirit and Bonus Armor (see below).

Finally, items may have tertiary stats. These include things like a bonus to Movement Speed, Sturdiness, Life Steal, Avoidance (less AoE damage), and Cleave. Because of the rarity of tertiary stats, stacking them to produce (for example) a Movement Speed set will take enormous effort.

The design intent of these additional qualities on items is to make itemization more exciting and to give it more longevity. Rather than waiting weeks to get a breastplate, you might get one pretty quickly—but to get a true “best-in-slot” item will take much more effort and a bit of luck. Here are a few more points to consider for these properties:

We haven’t decided on exact numbers yet, but for the current discussion, assume something like a 10% chance for an item to have an additional property. It’s possible for one item to have all three of these properties, but the chance of that is very small.
    The properties are determined at the time an item is looted (and possibly even includes crafted gear). For example, if an ogre boss drops two copies of the Bracers of Crithto, one might be a normal version, while another might have a tertiary stat.

Being Warforged, having a socket, or having a tertiary stat do not count against the stat budget of the item—they are strictly bonuses. The item will not have reduced primary or secondary stats in order to have these additional properties.

Set Bonuses

Similar to primary stats, set bonuses will also change depending on your current spec. This means a Paladin may only need one tier set rather than one for Holy and one for Retribution. It also means that set bonuses can be more tailored towards a spec. For instance, Marksman Hunter set bonuses can have different bonuses or different numbers than a Survival Hunter set. Like today, not every helmet, chest piece, or other piece of armor that drops will be part of a tier set.

Non-Armor Pieces: Weapons, Rings, Cloak, Necklace, and Trinkets

Primary Stats

In general, most of these pieces will not have Strength, Agility, or Intellect. Instead, they may have Attack Power or Spell Power to make sure they are more universal. However, our current thought it to keep primary stats on weapons so that they continue to feel iconic and special. Many of the items will have Stamina as well.

Secondary Stats

The information about secondary stats on armor above also applies here. In addition, Spirit and Bonus Armor can appear on these items. Spirit is only useful for healers. Bonus Armor is generally only useful for tanks. A Spell Power piece without Spirit may be attractive to healers or may be attractive to DPS casters instead.

The intent of including Spirit and Bonus Armor on these pieces is to make sure some items are still valuable only to healer and tank specs, helping to make sure they don’t have too much competition for gear against the more numerous DPS players in a given group. These are also stats we consider interesting, because how much of each of these stats a tank or healer might want is more subjective. For example, one tank in a group might prefer more Bonus Armor while another might prefer more Haste.

In the case of Spirit, imagine that stacking Spirit on every non-armor slot will give you more mana regeneration than you would reasonably need. That is to say, you likely won’t need Spirit on every single spot in order to function as a healer.

In the case of Bonus Armor, this stat fills the niche that Dodge and Parry fill today. We like tanks avoiding attacks as a mechanic, but it hasn’t proven to be a particularly interesting gearing strategy. However, we still want a dedicated damage-mitigation stat, and Bonus Armor will be it.

Additional Qualities

These items will also have a chance to have one of the additional qualities discussed above (Warforged, gems, and tertiary stats), and the information related to these qualities on armor still applies here.

Examples

A Holy Paladin has a raid tier set from the Blackrock Foundry. If she switches to her Retribution spec, the tier set is still functional, as the primary stats and set bonuses change. However, if she prefers Haste for her Retribution spec and Crit in her Holy spec (and is someone who enjoys the min-max game), then a single set of armor may not be optimal.

For her healing set, let’s assume this player also has one ring with Spirit, a shield with Spirit, and a trinket that procs on heals. The trinket is almost useless in her Retribution set. The shield is also useless, since Retribution is designed to wield a two-handed weapon. The ring will be sub-optimal because Spirit is useless to a Retribution Paladin, but if it has another valuable stat (e.g. Haste), it may still be worth using—again depending on how min-max-focused the player is.

A more casual player would probably be fine just using the trinket anyway and using a lower Item Level two-handed mace when she plays Retribution. A more min-max player would probably want separate rings, cloaks, trinkets, neck pieces, and weapons to use in the different specs. A very min-max player—such as someone competing in world-first Mythic raid progression—might even want different heads, shoulders, chests, and so on depending on the mix of secondary stats. This player might even swap out gems between the two specs.

This may seem like a lot to take in now, but we’ll continue to watch feedback and answer any additional questions where we can. And again, keep in mind that as with anything still in development, this information or some of the details will likely change as we progress.

As always, we welcome your constructive feedback, and we look forward to reading what you think.
    Last edited by judgementofantonidas; 2013-12-02 at 05:39 PM. Reason: whiners
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

My eyes are bleeding from the green

10+ Year Old Account
    my eyes amg

Basically, items can have any of three 'free' perks.

A) A Teriary stat. (Run speed, +cleave, +aoe avoidance, life leech)
    B) A Gem Socket.
    C) An Ilvl boost like 'Warforged' or 'Thunderforged' items.
    (EDIT: To clarify, an item can have one or more of above /EDIT)

Under this model, the need for gems is significantly lessened. You might need one gem to every four items instead of 1-3 gems per item. This means that you're going to be sitting on a large body of gems, and enjoy a significantly diminished pool of customers.

They were talking about "New options for jewelcrafters" But, people only need so many rings/necks. My guess is a ghetto version of the DMF trinkets Scribes can make.

Thanks for the reply. So gear will just have an overall lower amount of sockets? Meaning lower tier/LFR gear probably won't contain any.

I just don't know whether or not to hold on to this prof anymore. If JC is really going to be shit next xpac, I'd rather level BS so I can at least socket my own gear and craft decent blues for leveling.

I will wait until more official info comes out I guess. Frustrated because I have almost every cut in the game.
    I wouldn't drop it yet if I were you. Wait and see what they have going on with it.

If you're really that concerned, farm or purchase all the mats you need to powerlevel whatever other prof you're thinking about and hold on to them (before prices go up). That way you're not at a disadvantage if you don't end up keeping JC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    Under this model, the need for gems is significantly lessened. You might need one gem to every four items instead of 1-3 gems per item. This means that you're going to be sitting on a large body of gems, and enjoy a significantly diminished pool of customers.

They were talking about "New options for jewelcrafters" But, people only need so many rings/necks. My guess is a ghetto version of the DMF trinkets Scribes can make.
    the counter to that mentioned by Blizzard, is to make the "good gems" harder to obtain in the first place. yes we had an easy time with gems in MoP. it was nice. but rather than buying as you mentioned 1-3 cheap gems for a single new piece of gear, i could buy one, more expensive gem, for a piece of gear. that "good gem" might have taken more mats for a JC to create it.. or it might have had a lower % to get from prospecting. those things will drive prices up so that JC stays relatively the same.

if demand goes down (need fewer gems for my total gear)
    and supply stays the same (MoP's plethora of gems available) this would equal a bad and flooded market.

and supply goes down (harder to obtain useful gems) then the market price will go up to compensate and therefore feel only minor changes.
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2013-12-02 at 06:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    the counter to that mentioned by Blizzard, is to make the "good gems" harder to obtain in the first place. yes we had an easy time with gems in MoP. it was nice. but rather than buying as you mentioned 1-3 cheap gems for a single new piece of gear, i could buy one, more expensive gem, for a piece of gear. that "good gem" might have taken more mats for a JC to create it.. or it might have had a lower % to get from prospecting. those things will drive prices up so that JC stays relatively the same.

and supply stays the same (MoP's plethora of gems available) this would equal a bad and flooded market.

and supply goes down (harder to obtain useful gems) then the market price will go up to compensate and therefore feel only minor changes.
    I would like to believe your fairy tale economics lecture, but there will always be the jerk who posts things at a fraction of what it takes to make them just because he feels you are making "too much".

Never ceases to amaze me how I can reset gems to a reasonable price and rather than undercutting by a little bit the next person to post will throw one up at 20 gold.

That is just spite. And while their are humans behind the keyboard spite will rule the economy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    I would like to believe your fairy tale economics lecture, but there will always be the jerk who posts things at a fraction of what it takes to make them just because he feels you are making "too much".
    lol. yah im aware that there is always the server jerk.. but out of the few servers ive been too, i must be either really lucky, or the server jerk doesnt win that often.

on occasion i catch a gem for a cheap price. but more often then not.. its an avg price that only varies by a few gold from week to week. and thats typically because the server jerk, quickly gets bought out by the server Mr. Monopoly Guy. the one that actually gets how to use the AH, and stabilizes the market pretty quickly while scoring some easy gold at the expense of the jerk.

point still remains, despite the jerks and monopoly guys.. blizzard can and does realize that offering fewer gems slots will have an impact on the JC profession, and can help us by either giving us other things to sell to make up the difference.. or controlling the flow of gems in the first place, or both!
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

15+ Year Old Account
    The thing I hope is that gems themselves will become more rare with the Expansion. Otherwise the market will overflow with gems that has no place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    The thing I hope is that gems themselves will become more rare with the Expansion. Otherwise the market will overflow with gems that has no place to go.
    I highly doubt they'll be as common as they are now when you need fewer. That would be silliness.

I'm holding on to JC to see what happens with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    I highly doubt they'll be as common as they are now when you need fewer. That would be silliness.

I'm holding on to JC to see what happens with it.
    silliness like holy cows? or silliness like kung foo pandas? or silliness like clothie tanks?

we know blizzard would NEVAR do something silly.

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    silliness like holy cows? or silliness like kung foo pandas? or silliness like clothie tanks?

we know blizzard would NEVAR do something silly.
    Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to calm down.

And stop being a terrible faction. Let me know when you wanna come to the right side