Page 1 of 100
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

i do NOT agree with 15 dollars minimum wage for fast food employees

I do not agree with the 15 dollars minimum wage increase fast food employees are asking for. For a few reasons.

1) I worked for a factory, a fast food joint, and a video store and all of those places paid minimum wage and it sucked. But that is exactly what drove me to go to school, get my act together and land a decent job. I drove my daughter to school every morning and picked up my son from school then drove him to his babysitters(in-law) at lunch time. Eating while driving back to work just to make it on time and feed myself. I did this routine for 5 YEARS until i was finally done. 2002 - 2007 was HELL for me. So this "well single parents cant go to college because there isn't time" is a load of crap. There's a word for that its called LAZINESS.

2) I know good teachers that only make around 19 dollars to 25 dollars an hour. If fast food workers are gonna get paid 15, then teachers in general should get paid 40 an hour. And honestly, I feel this way even if fast food workers dont get an increase. Teachers are really underpaid. The way I see it is, teachers spent their time grinding and studying to become an educator, and they get 36k a year, yet fast food workers just have to walk in, no skills, no school, nothing to qualify them other than, "can you work nights and weekends" and they'll get almost 30k a year???? That doesn't make any sense to me at all.

HOWEVER I do believe that fast food employees should be raised >UP TO< 15 dollars an hour. Minimum to start off with, and a dollar raise annually until they cap out at 15. Also they should add a "back to school" tuition reimbursement program to encourage and support salaried and full-time hourly employees who enroll in college, university and technical school courses in order to obtain an associate’s, bachelor’s, a master’s, doctoral, or technical degree. Just to give them that incentive to not be complacent. I know that obtaining a degree doesn't guarantee a career, but it sure helps.

Anyone think im wrong? Am I not seeing the bigger picture here?
    Last edited by Rad1um; 2013-12-07 at 12:26 PM. Reason: More info

This is not happening, dont worry about it.

15+ Year Old Account
    You should be able to sympathize considering you're from la too. It's really expensive here and maybe not 15, but 10-12 should be minimum here.

Deleted
    the only thing a minimum wage should do is make sure that as long as you have a fulltime job, you can pay your bills w/o having to rely on government hand outs.

When you work fulltime, and a little sidejob on your days off, and are still only marginally better off than someone unemployed, that's when you know something is terribly wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    I do not agree with the 15 dollars minimum wage increase fast food employees are asking for. For a few reasons.

1) I worked for a factory, a fast food joint, and a video store and all of those places paid minimum wage and it sucked. But that is exactly what drove me to go to school, get my act together and land a decent job. I drove my daughter to school every morning and picked up my son from school then drove him to his babysitters(in-law) at lunch time. Eating while driving back to work just to make it on time and feed myself. I did this routine for 5 YEARS until i was finally done. 2002 - 2007 was HELL for me. So this "well single parents cant go to college because there isn't time" is a load of crap. There's a word for that its called LAZINESS.
    Holier-than-thou-Batman!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ummmm dude...You can;t even LIVE off of minimum wage..And TBH 15 isn't even enough in alot of places...

The cost of living is getting higher while pay is staying the same..Thus we DO need an increase..People are currently working longer and harder then they have in decades and in the US at least more hours for less pay and benefits then any other developed nation i know of(china aside)..

I'm sorry but this IS needed...Now if i had my way i'd even put a freeze on a companies ability to fire and decrease any non CEOs pay wage...In short force the supposed trickle down economics...

I completely understand they want more money, but 15 dollars an hour is just overkill. Honestly if there complaining about not getting paid much, then they should go find a new job its simple and not complain about the one they have now. or Maybe that's just me.

The United States has the lowest minimum wage of any westernized country. The second lowest is over $12 USD per hour. People in the US get paid SHIT. Also, I worked at McDonald's and Wendy's for over a year each and then I did a 5 year run as the Operations Manager for a really busy trucking company. McD's and Wendy's paid me $5.75 and hour (this was before minimum wage was raised to $7.25) and the trucking company paid me $17.50 an hour. McDonald's was by far the hardest job of the 3, followed by Wendy's, and then the trucking company. People really undervalue fast food employees.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing how you went through all that, had no time to explore your own ideas and build your intellect It amazes me to what extent you can draw the laziness argument. It seems like a people can always be more lazy then the first until all in your life is work. Laugh at me as much you want, but life should be more then work. Thankfully I live in a likeminded area of the world

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Ummmm dude...You can;t even LIVE off of minimum wage..And TBH 15 isn't even enough in alot of places...

The cost of living is getting higher while pay is staying the same..Thus we DO need an increase..People are currently working longer and harder then they have in decades and in the US at least more hours for less pay and benefits then any other developed nation i know of(china aside)..

I'm sorry but this IS needed...Now if i had my way i'd even put a freeze on a companies ability to fire and decrease any non CEOs pay wage...In short force the supposed trickle down economics...
    Yea! If you live in NYC you have to make $25+ per hour @ 40+ hours/week just to afford a 1 room studio apartment and pay the bills while still being able to eat.

2) I know good teachers that only make around 19 dollars to 25 dollars an hour. If fast food workers are gonna get paid 15, then teachers in general should get paid 40 an hour. And honestly, I feel this way even if fast food workers dont get an increase. Teachers are really underpaid. The way I see it is, teachers spent their time grinding and studying to become an educator, and they get 36k a year, yet fast food workers just have to walk in, no skills, no school, nothing to qualify them other than, "can you work nights and weekends" and they'll get almost 30k a year???? That doesn't make any sense to me at all.

HOWEVER I do believe that fast food employees should be raised >UP TO< 15 dollars an hour. Minimum to start off with, and a dollar raise annually until they cap out at 15. Also they should add a "back to school" tuition reimbursement program to encourage and support salaried and full-time hourly employees who enroll in college, university and technical school courses in order to obtain an associate’s, bachelor’s, a master’s, doctoral, or technical degree. Just to give them that incentive to not be complacent. I know that obtaining a degree doesn't guarantee a career, but it sure helps.

I'm not American, but I do agree with you. Fast food employees should not be paid that much, especially when you consider the macro environment. It really annoys me when people try and portray EVERY single corporation in the world as an evil, money-grabbing institution that doesn't care about its employees. The truth of the matter is, margins are getting tighter and shareholders expect more return on their investments. Add to that the added pressure that employees who aren't necessarily adding that much to the profit of the company (mainly because 99% of a fast food joint is automated and requires very little actual thinking), expect to be paid the same wage as a teacher, who are extremely important to an economy. I just think that's pathetic and outright stupid.

Unfortunately, we've become a society that complains constantly and never think about the collective good.

rofl there are countries in EU where u get for job in fast food like 2-2,5$ per hour and cost of living are almost simillar to US so stop wining

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    The cost of living is getting higher while pay is staying the same..Thus we DO need an increase..
    The United States has the lowest minimum wage of any westernized country
    OP your ignoring these points completely, and they are completely true.

While your saying that being poor encourages people to go to school and work harder,which is nice, but your biggest reason is basicly " Well I had to work really hard and suffer so you should to(in your eyes)".

This could do great things for the economy too. More incentive and money being put into minimum wage then free goverment handouts.

That being said i think 15$ is ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    rofl there are countries in EU where u get for job in fast food like 2-2,5$ per hour and cost of living are almost simillar to US so stop wining
    Cool story, could you share some facts in there too?
    how is this contributing in anyway.
    "Aww your opinion is different then mine, you just a big whining baby"
    I mean really?
    Last edited by Myci; 2013-12-07 at 12:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Life Lesson #1 - People are terrible.

Don't let it get to you. It'll only spoil your own personal enjoyment if you do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by torment3d View Post
    The United States has the lowest minimum wage of any westernized country. The second lowest is over $12 USD per hour. People in the US get paid SHIT. Also, I worked at McDonald's and Wendy's for over a year each and then I did a 5 year run as the Operations Manager for a really busy trucking company. McD's and Wendy's paid me $5.75 and hour (this was before minimum wage was raised to $7.25) and the trucking company paid me $17.50 an hour. McDonald's was by far the hardest job of the 3, followed by Wendy's, and then the trucking company. People really undervalue fast food employees.
    I must have been working at Micky D's just after you. I was getting 6.25 an hour. I didn't want to be there. Nobody else wanted to be there. The difference is, I didn't have a stick up my butt about it. Some days were tougher than others but I still smiled. And its okay. Better than starving imo. When I go get food now, its like i have to fight for the food I paid for. I dont want great customer service. I dont even want mediocre customer service, I just want what I ordered without having to pull away, check the bag and realize that my order is wrong just to go back and talk to someone like "Hi there im missing a big mac can I please get it" and im smiling the whole time and all I get is "Well wheres your receipt? Why didn't you say anything before you left? I think we put it there but im just gonna add one there for you this one time but not again" Like do I really have it in me to steal a 4 dollar sandwich? Really????? And im not singling any place out. Mc Donalds in El Monte, West Covina, Baldwin Park, all have really REALLY bad customer service. The worst i've seen.

As for my days, "HEY TALL GUY I ORDERED 3 Mc Ribs you guys are always doing this shit to me" and how do I reply? "Oh im sorry that was my mistake. Here you go, im sorry about this its really busy today. Ive seen my co workers(at the time) deny customers extra barbecue sauce or charge them. If someone asks me for 1 or 2 more I hand it over with a smile.

Tl ; DR :: customer service is crap

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myci View Post
    OP your ignoring these points completely, and they are completely true.

While your saying that being poor encourages people to go to school and work harder,which is nice, but your biggest reason is basicly " Well I had to work really hard and suffer so you should to(in your eyes)".

This could do great things for the economy too. Rather more incentive and money being put into minimum wage then free goverment handouts.
    More money in this working class means more money being spend( instead of money being spent out of the governments pocket from unemployment, welfare ect.)
    No thats not what I meant at all. Its IF I CAN DO IT SO CAN YOU, message. How exactly is this gonna benefit the economy? If we raise fast food joints minimum then how long before other people start demanding more? Teachers? Then up and up it goes. People walk out, things don't get sold. Students walk out of school in strike etc. This is the beginning of bad things to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Babzu View Post
    This is not happening, dont worry about it.
    Well I'd still like to stop hearing about it.

Reminds me of someone I know who has no HS diploma or skills, always claims things like get can get jobs baying $700-1500 a week with a free car to use and they will even pay for his drugs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Giving out free sauce when the policy is to charge from them is stealing from your employer.
    Indeed, i think it's time to write a very angry e-mail now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Giving out free sauce when the policy is to charge from them is stealing from your employer.
    Sample size of one only disproves the absolute. Your conclusion is unfounded. There was no policy on charging for sauce by itself. That was added in later WAY later. Stop being a troll. Thanks.

Keep it civil
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-12-07 at 03:52 PM.

You had a hard time, but it doesn't mean others have to. No one asked you to have kids before you were financially stable. Don't use your hardships as a result of your own inadequacies and lack of forward thinking to place any kind of legitimacy on your quest to justify hardships faced by these people.

I don't know what you studied for 5 years, but if it was either economics or sociology, you need to ask the college you went to for your money back (or your student debt erased).

I feel sorry for your kid(s) if they have someone as ill-informed, heartless and self-centered as a parent. But then again hopefully time with you can instead teach your kids how horrible people can be so they can be different and learn more as well as learn to care more for their fellow man, their well-being and the well-being of the economic environment they share with others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they are allowed to donate, but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.