Page 2 of 100 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    This is the beginning of bad things to come.
    Yeah, it's much better if the workers just sit back and take it in the ass in the name of profit margins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notchris View Post
    Yeah, it's much better if the workers just sit back and take it in the ass in the name of profit margins.
    Did you bother reading anything anyone here wrote before you spewed this nonsense?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vokal View Post
    You had a hard time, but it doesn't mean others have to. No one asked you to have kids before you were financially stable. Don't use your hardships as a result of your own inadequacies and lack of forward thinking to place any kind of legitimacy on your quest to justify hardships faced by these people.

I don't know what you studied for 5 years, but if it was either economics or sociology, you need to ask the college you went to for your money back (or your student debt erased).

I feel sorry for your kid(s) if they have someone as ill-informed, heartless and self-centered as a parent. But then again hopefully time with you can instead teach your kids how horrible people can be so they can be different and learn more as well as learn to care more for their fellow man, their well-being and the well-being of the economic environment they share with others.
    All you have to worry about is my kids are well taken care of, and dont expect hand outs when they can do it themselves.

This has to be one of the most stupid comments I've read, If someone is willing to work in a fast food chain why should you hate on them for getting paid a decent wage. And your education motivational reason or excuse I should say as it about as useful as a wet tissue, is a load of bollocks, I know people who started off at macdonalds, burger king etc, and they're moving up, being sent away on training courses to get promotions, hell one of them is working towards manager of a chain of stores in our neck of the woods

10+ Year Old Account
    Shouldn't have fucked up in school if they wanted to earn more. And if they didn't fuck up and they're just... not intelligent... then there are other options than fast food which pay more. Unfortunately you got the short straw in life and you just aren't that important to society, you're not going to live fantastically if you don't give back to society in some form.

At least over here in the UK I know so many students that would quite happily take a fast food job whilst they're studying, definitely for minimum wage. Why on earth would an employer want to pay more when they have a huge employer base sitting there just waiting.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    the only thing a minimum wage should do is make sure that as long as you have a fulltime job, you can pay your bills w/o having to rely on government hand outs.

When you work fulltime, and a little sidejob on your days off, and are still only marginally better off than someone unemployed, that's when you know something is terribly wrong.
    This, you should be able to earn more than you spend with a fulltime job, unless you buy expensive stuff of course. If you just buy the food you need, pay the bills that you need to pay to live then you should earn a little extra with a fulltime job even at minimum wage. With this I mean at 15/hour you earn 600 a week so you should maybe be able to save 10-25 a week without any trouble. If you can't save that much it either means you are buying more than you need or you live in a very expensive location for a minimum wage job.

Though I don't really see why you would take a minimum wage job as a fulltime job unless you need income while searching for a "real" job or you are an immigrant. Since minimum wage jobs are more parttime jobs/extra job that you do to earn some extra cash while you have another job or when you are studying.
    Last edited by Spl4sh3r; 2013-12-07 at 12:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    This has to be one of the most stupid comments I've read, If someone is willing to work in a fast food chain why should you hate on them for getting paid a decent wage. And your education motivational reason or excuse I should say as it about as useful as a wet tissue, is a load of bollocks, I know people who started off at macdonalds, burger king etc, and they're moving up, being sent away on training courses to get promotions, hell one of them is working towards manager of a chain of stores in our neck of the woods
    Im sorry, where are you reading that people are hating on that as a career?? I just went through every single post and I cant find it. Nobody has said ANYTHING about fast food lifers. Im sure they're paid extremely well, hell Mc Donalds offered us an opportunity to open our own after 5 years of work. -_-

Not everyone has the same job OP and not everyone can reach the same heights. Welcome to the real world....stop looking down on people

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by torment3d View Post
    Yea! If you live in NYC you have to make $25+ per hour @ 40+ hours/week just to afford a 1 room studio apartment and pay the bills while still being able to eat.
    Damn and here i thought 20 would be enough...See as i see it minimum wage should be enough to live with room and food as well as basic bills like power,, water gas and yes in the modern world internet...I'm sorry but the internet IS a borderline need now...

I also feel it should match either the location specifically or cover the most expensive places as the basic...If that means cheaper places earn more so be it..And actually that then might even promote a better distribution of the populace instead of clumping together in set mass places....

Also i meant to add i'd also if given unilateral power bar them from increasing the cost of goods for a time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krolikn View Post
    Not everyone has the same job OP and not everyone can reach the same heights. Welcome to the real world....stop looking down on people
    Im not looking down on what they DO for a living, im looking down on what they do about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notchris View Post
    Or get pushed so far they rebel....

Seriously french revolution DOES come to mind..Living in what seems to be an oligarchy and all...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Or get pushed so far they rebel....

Seriously french revolution DOES come to mind..Living in what seems to be an oligarchy and all...
    Nobody is gonna deny the fact that there's a disparity of power. I think that's one thing we can all agree on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im not looking down on what they DO for a living, im looking down on what they do about it.
    Not everyone can do the same things...Seriously stop being closed minded...Not everyone is you nor will they be unless you pull a Master and turn everyone into you...

I for instance get stressed more easily then most and lack the ability to see/memorize faces as well as have a VERY hard time reading any nonverbal things..

I would be HORRIBLE in the service industry...Oh plus I'm allergic as in break out in eczema allergic to alot of soaps...

You do NOT want me handling your food...What i AM good at is helping for and caring for others. Cataloging information as well as objects among other things.

So sorry i'm not a clone of you but if i tried to do things your way i would likely snap under the pressure..And we all know what an individual who snaps is capable on and NOBODY should EVER be pushed that far....

TBH the very things your against may have even helped prevent some of the recent shooting..Those were obviously men bakced into corners who felt they ahd no way out.

I'm sorry but the way you view things is outdated and won;t work any longer. We are changing from a species that works to live to one that works to play...And eventually i suspect plays to live...

As such yes an increased pay IS required.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Coming from a person who has worked for minimum wage, it sucked. I honestly believe their pay should get increased. The bull shit these poor people have to deal with it makes the money not even worth it one bit. I remember working retail at TJ max, and for 7.77$ hour they made me carry heavy ass boxes that could potentially damage my back, they made me climb ladders to grab boxes off the back stock shelves, which were very dangerous. 20-30 pound boxes, that I had to carry over my head on a sketchy ladder just to bring down.

Not only did my body get destroyed working that shitty job, but they made me risk my life essentially for 7.77$ hour. Then they had the nerve to schedule me for 5 hours a week, down from a consistent 30-35 and give me some bullshit like how they don't have enough pay roll. Mean while all the managers are taking paid vacations and shit, or better yet they love to play favorites. The general store manager would give the cute girls the easiest fucking jobs like dressing room where literally all you have to do is pretty much stand there.

Then again you can't really complain. A job is a job. Regardless of what you do, work, college, or business. However much ass you can kiss will get you "ahead" and more "successful". Me unfortunately am not that type of person. Thats why I would skip out on shitty minimum wage jobs and college. Sure enough you get a degree, but not long till your behind a shitty desk taking shit from a fruit cup in a tie who makes more money than you. Pick your poison I guess.

Deleted
    Anyone think im wrong? Am I not seeing the bigger picture here?
    Just because things where shit for you doesn't mean they are supposed to be that for everyone. You can't use your own experience as the bar everyone else should limbo under.

$7.25/hour minimum wage is a travesty.

Deleted
    you do realise that better wages at the bottom benefits all of society? and that a parochial shortsighted attitude that you should be paid better for some inane reason is pretty much whats fucked up with the economy right?

I'd launch in to a discourse on why an increased minimum wage is beneficial to everyone....but I feel it woudl be wasted. watch the vid in my sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone think im wrong? Am I not seeing the bigger picture here?
    yes, I think you do not see the bigger picture.
    The problem with the US job landscape is, how there's no alternative path..

You have exactly 2 choices.... You either go to school > college.... Or you don't and are automatically untrained, and are part of the simple labor camp.
    The country is completely missing the education path for manual/technical crafts.

The school system is a hollow failure. Students in the US own the government over 1 trillion dollars, which is expected to never be paid back. And if you use logic sense, you may realize that it is literally impossible for every single person to enter and successfully complete college, or even just high school. If that was the case, the USA would be a country of Brainiacs. But it isn't. Not even close to that. In international comparison, the US is rather a bottom feeder when it comes to education. The American people need to start open their eyes and realize how their system is a failure, and how they are trapped within a huge business machine that's milking the population... School and Education is a big business here in the US.
    Now for the $15.00 in fast food....... It really depends on the state. In some states $15.00 is a comfortable wage which makes someone get by just decently, in other states it's still a struggle. This opens the next problem, the lack of homogenization within the US. The minimum wage should be high enough to keep anyone out of the welfare cycle in the median states. States that are more expensive need to come up with solutions for the differences.

All in all I support the workers fight for higher wages. I've always supported class fight and always believed in a strong network of Unions, exactly like the European Unions work. I dislike the US Unions though. US Unions are arrogant, selfish constructs that don't give a shit about the workforce as such. They are just out for their own advantage.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Yes, fuck you if you want to work full days and expect a living wage.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Not everyone can do the same things...Seriously stop being closed minded...Not everyone is you nor will they be unless you pull a Master and turn everyone into you...

I for instance get stressed more easily then most and lack the ability to see/memorize faces as well as have a VERY hard time reading any nonverbal things..

I would be HORRIBLE in the service industry...Oh plus I'm allergic as in break out in eczema allergic to alot of soaps...

You do NOT want me handling your food...What i AM good at is helping for and caring for others. Cataloging information as well as objects among other things.

So sorry i'm not a clone of you but if i tried to do things your way i would likely snap under the pressure..And we all know what an individual who snaps is capable on and NOBODY should EVER be pushed that far....

TBH the very things your against may have even helped prevent some of the recent shooting..Those were obviously men bakced into corners who felt they ahd no way out.

I'm sorry but the way you view things is outdated and won;t work any longer. We are changing from a species that works to live to one that works to play...And eventually i suspect plays to live...

As such yes an increased pay IS required.
    What the hell are you even going on about? I NEVER said to do it EXACTLY like I did or my neighbor did or Obama did or freaking Jim Carrey did. Im saying to climb out of this without resorting to FORCING companies to pay a ridiculous wage. Ok but ill humor your NEED for an increase. So say we do increase it. Hell lets give it 25 dollars an hour just for argument sake. So fast food joints are now being paid 25 dollars an hour. How thats gonna happen is, we the people, will start paying a bit more for our food to compensate for their wages. So instead of a 6 dollar combo say we pay 10 dollars now. Well now a regular joe schmoe cant afford to buy his family lunch there because its a 60 dollar trip every time. Well Joe Schmoe is a carpet cleaner so damn it he needs to start charging more just to compensate for the meals that went up in price that are compensating for the increase in wages. Well now Mrs Moreass cant afford to get her carpets cleaned at her Motel 6 she proudly opened in 1995. Well she better start charging a tad more to compensate for her carpet cleaning who is compensating for his increased meal prices who is compensating for the increased in fast food wages. Well damn look at the Griswolds. All they wanted to do was go to Wolly World. And they needed a Motel to stay in for the night but they just realized that the prices went up. Mr Griswold is the landlord of a 28 unit apartment in Arizona. Well now he has to increase the cost of rent to compensate for the Motel prices Ms Moreass charged to compensate for the ............................................. I can actually go on for a long time. And at last we come to Jessica. She works for Burger King. And just so happens to live in one of the 28 units. her rent just went up. And she is back to where she started. So please tell me, in what version of your species does this work?????????
    Last edited by Rad1um; 2013-12-07 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Added info

Deleted
    So please tell me, in what version of your species does this work?????????
    Plenty of countries other than yours have laws to secure a decent minimum wage, and it works just fine, and has worked for decades.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Plenty of countries other than yours have laws to secure a decent minimum wage, and it works just fine, and has worked for decades.
    Thats a lovely story. And you tell it with such enthusiasm. But unfortunately this isn't other countries. This is America.