Deleted

Is there any class/spec that doesn't benefit from critical hit?

The title may be misleading so my apologies... Now to the nitty gritty:

The thing that confuses me about critical hit chance in-game atm is that if we look at it in a glance, all specs of all classes benefit from critical hit in a way or another, directly or indirectly.

Well there are specs like fire mage, Frost Dk and protection warrior that benefit greatly and have critical hit as a very importante piece in their rotations. However, those specs who don't say clearly things like "this ability will trigger an effect if it critical hits", do they not, in a way, also benefit greatly from critical hit chance?

I mean, it may not be say in your spec description "go for critical hit cap" but I see no spec that would gladly forfeit critical hit for another stat. Granted they are soloing, not executing tank or healing roles...

Am I tripping or is this plausible =)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Crit has value for every spec, but not all of them value it very highly. Elemental's big hitter, Lava Burst, doesn't benefit from crit at all, for example, so crit is generally pretty low priority for them. And in some cases, like Retribution, haste and mastery are so powerful that they overshadow crit enough to put it last in the stat priority, even though crit's not actually a bad stat for them.

The only specs that crit isn't technically useful for are Protection paladins and Blood DKs, since neither of them gain any defensive benefit from critting. It still increases their damage output though, so it's still nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by DonQShot View Post

The thing that confuses me about critical hit chance in-game atm is that if we look at it in a glance, all specs of all classes benefit from critical hit in a way or another, directly or indirectly.

Well there are specs like fire mage, Frost Dk and protection warrior that benefit greatly and have critical hit as a very importante piece in their rotations. However, those specs who don't say clearly things like "this ability will trigger an effect if it critical hits", do they not, in a way, also benefit greatly from critical hit chance?

I mean, it may not be say in your spec description "go for critical hit cap" but I see no spec that would gladly forfeit critical hit for another stat. Granted they are soloing, not executing tank or healing roles...

Crit isnt a major benefit if it just makes stuff crit. Other stats will have more impact on your output.

Let me think...affliction warlock? Not sure how the regen for shards currently works but I believe crit is nothing more than just crit. Haste makes your dots go a lot faster, mastery much stronger, crit just...crit

I think for some specs it's not that they don't like crit as much, it's more that other stats are more reliable. At it's base level, crit is really just increasing your odds of landing a critical hit. Even If you have 30% crit chance, you could technically go for 10 minutes without landing a single critical hit. It's incredibly unlikely, but still technically possible.

So for some specs like Affliction warlocks, haste is much more valuable. It increases your DPS by a guaranteed amount by making every single one of your dots tick faster. For a lot of specs, mastery is basically just a base damage increase, so that's also a guaranteed DPS increase. Then there's specs like Elemental, where their hardest hitting spell already crits 100% of the time, so it's kinda pointless.

But some specs do value crit way more than others. Fury warriors are basically built around landing crits with bloodthirst and colossus smash, so they can use raging blow and get a 10% damage increase. The 10% damage increase and the fact that bloodthirst crits twice as often makes crit way more valuable than the guaranteed DPS from haste and mastery.

Elemental shaman would pretty much sacrifice crit for mastery or haste like 99.9% of the time. Lava burst which makes up a significant portion of our damage always crits so increasing the crit chance does nothing for LvB.

the only 2 spec that focus on crit are fire mages and fury warrior. sadly in the case of both they require it so heavily they are basically useless until they get enough.
    other specs dont really need it but its a nice added bonus.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

For balance you want to get to 13k haste as quickly as possible but then crit is your best stat.

For resto though you want mastery above crit.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Haven't played in a while, but IIRC Agi gives crit, so as a Feral Druid there was no reason ever to stack up crit, and I was still able to hit upwards to 50% through pure Agi. Everything was reforged to Mastery, then Haste. TBH I don't find Crit to be an interesting stat. It's a background stat that I don't gear for. Even if Crit procs extra combo points, I would rather hit Haste caps and get that extra tick on bleeds. Much more fun hitting a haste cap.

Deleted
    Thank you for all your comments and well done explaining u guys =).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blaqkmagick View Post
    Elemental shaman would pretty much sacrifice crit for mastery or haste like 99.9% of the time. Lava burst which makes up a significant portion of our damage always crits so increasing the crit chance does nothing for LvB.
    So would a ret paladin. We don't have any guaranteed crit abilities, but other stats simply scale better and have other benefits. Haste/mastery pieces are also ideal tank pieces so going prot requires no additional gear but a 1 hander and shield.

1) Most classes do not care much for crit, because it's just not as good as the other stats. A few classes you mentioned are exceptions.

2) All classes and specs benefit from crit, just as all classes benefit from mastery and haste. That's why you want positive stat increases, they provide (gasp?) positive gains.

That said some classes benefit pathetically little from some stats (warrior and haste for instance). For crit, elemental doesn't benefit much due to reasons people gave. But even for other classes that still benefit "more" from crit, if it's less than the other two stats it's still last in priority.

Quote Originally Posted by DonQShot View Post

Every class benefits from critical hit however when Blizzard is laying out who it is meant for they throw in ways to limit how effective it is for the classes they do not want using it by making it more difficult to stack up to any reasonable level without losing stats that they need to survive.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP