Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Gotta give it to DEM POLICE. F DA POLICE MAN!!!! He has a habit of saying that or having said view.
    So I'm noticing... oh well, I suppose that saves me the trouble of continuing the debate

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    Do you think going 15 mph over the speed limit justifies the entire incident? That doesn't seem like a measured response to me.
    The entire "incident" was her fault 100%. She got pulled over for speeding, so he was going to give her a ticket. She then decided to attempt to run from the officer before he could give her a ticket. She created the incident and problems by not accepting her ticket. Had she just accepted her ticket, none of this would have happened. The officer that fired was a bit trigger happy, but shes the one who created the situation that lead to that point by breaking the law in the first place.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    That the police were wrong for how they handled the resolution does not mean she was right, nor does it mean they were not justified for pulling her over in the first place.
    You and I both know that this sort of petty speed limit enforcement is nothing but highway robbery in the truest sense of the words. Honestly, she was right to ignore him. She was just going a little fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    That the police were wrong for how they handled the resolution does not mean she was right, nor does it mean they were not justified for pulling her over in the first place.
    Seems like we're entering logical fallacies. Not on your part Dark, but on Arcanist's part.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    The entire "incident" was her fault 100%. She got pulled over for speeding, so he was going to give her a ticket. She then decided to attempt to run from the officer before he could give her a ticket. She created the incident and problems by not accepting her ticket. Had she just accepted her ticket, none of this would have happened. The officer that fired was a bit trigger happy, but shes the one who created the situation that lead to that point by breaking the law in the first place.
    Pretty sure she didn't create the situation where the officer fired into a van full of children. He does have his own mind and can certainly think that: "Hey, maybe I shouldn't escalate a petty speeding ticket situation by firing into a van full of children."

You and I both know that this sort of petty speed limit enforcement is nothing but highway robbery in the truest sense of the words. Honestly, she was right to ignore him. She was just going a little fast.
    Except you know, she had no right to ignore them, because breaking the law is still breaking the law, no matter how arbitrary you think the law is. Can you honestly not form a better than this?

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure she didn't create the situation where the officer fired into a van full of children. He does have his own mind and can certainly think that: "Hey, maybe I shouldn't escalate a petty speeding ticket situation by firing into a van full of children."
    The incident escalated when she refused the ticket, fled from the police, and then her son assaulted the cop. Simple logic is hard.

You break the law, you lose your rights. Sorry, that's how it works. Especially when you have children in the car and you decided to go more then a "little" fast.

- - - Updated - - -

She did. Because she decided to run. Would he have fired had the van not started to move? No. Would other officers have even shown up had she not run in the start? No. Had they even pulled her over if she wasn't speeding? No. See the pattern? Obeying the law means these things don't happen.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fortunately, I don't buy into absolutism. Because you know where buying into that and unquestioning obedience to the "law" leads? Trying to justify firing into a van full of children.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    Except you know, she had no right to ignore them, because breaking the law is still breaking the law, no matter how arbitrary you think the law is. Can you honestly not form a better than this?

- - - Updated - - -

The incident escalated when she refused the ticket, fled from the police, and then her son assaulted the cop. Simple logic is hard.
    The incident escalated when they started at the highest level of their margin of discretion for a speeding ticket.

> Starting a highspeed chase twice
    > Shooting on a van full of children
    > Letting a little boy manhandle them

I think the acts of her fleeing from the police, and driving the way she did, would fall under child endangerment.
    Especially when there's a cop standing nearby with a gun and no regard for public safety amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, we're just going to ignore the felony evasion and assaulting a police officer?
    As long as you've been here, you probably should have realized by now that we've got a sizable population of posters who will always side against the police, no matter what the circumstances. And a similarly sized population who revel in the idea of officers being hurt or killed.

As for this particular incident, I haven't seen the dash video. So I can't comment. But I do know that I've seen scenarios like this before where everyone claimed the police shot an innocent man, and then I actually watch the video and that "innocent" man ended up running over defenseless civilians with his vehicle. Because, again, the general consensus on MMOC is that the police are always wrong, no matter what.

I think it should be noted that it is a police officer's job to de-escalate tense situations, but it seems like most of the time they only choose actions which escalate the situation. It's illogical to think drawing and firing your weapon is going to de-escalate that situation.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    You break the law, you lose your rights. Sorry, that's how it works. Especially when you have children in the car and you decided to go more then a "little" fast.

- - - Updated - - -

She did. Because she decided to run. Would he have fired had the van not started to move? No. Would other officers have even shown up had she not run in the start? No. Had they even pulled her over if she wasn't speeding? No. See the pattern? Obeying the law means these things don't happen.

The rational response would have been not to fire and let her go. That way, no one's life would've been put into danger. And the cop could've saved himself some embarrassment buy not threatening to taser a child.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not necessarily. It wasn't right for her to speed that is true but the police have to maintain good judgement regardless of a perp deserves an arrest.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    I think it should be noted that it is a police officer's job to de-escalate tense situations, but it seems like most of the time they only choose actions which escalate the situation. It's illogical to think drawing and firing your weapon is going to de-escalate that situation.
    Exactly....

10+ Year Old Account
    The rational response would have been not to fire and let her go. That was, no one's life would've been put into danger. And the cop could've saved himself some embarrassment buy not threatening to taser a child.
    So that's how we're going to enforce our laws? "If you break the law, we will find you! Unless you run away, then we'll just pretend it didn't happen."

The rational response would have been not to fire and let her go.
    This, at least, makes sense. Unlike the rest of your posts. Cop was definitely wrong to fire at the van. Could have picked her up later for the felony assault and resisting arrest.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    So that's how we're going to enforce our laws? "If you break the law, we will find you! Unless you run away, then we'll just pretend it didn't happen."
    Not really. Just enter her vehicle into that giant spy network america has and find out where she lives and works. After she gets her kids in the house, THEN go brutalize her for going 15 mph over the speed limit and daring to ignore self appointed authoritah

The rational response would have been not to fire and let her go. That way, no one's life would've been put into danger. And the cop could've saved himself some embarrassment buy not threatening to taser a child.
    The rational response would have been not to start a highspeed chase while you have 5 kids in your car. The Rational response would have been to not be driving 15MPH over the speed limit to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    As for this particular incident, I haven't seen the dash video. So I can't comment. But I do know that I've seen scenarios like this before where everyone claimed the police shot an innocent man, and then I actually watch the video and that "innocent" man ended up running over defenseless civilians with his vehicle. Because, again, the general consensus on MMOC is that the police are always wrong, no matter what.
    It looks like the police were actually in the wrong for firing in this incident, but there are still a lot of people who are trying to ignore the fact that it started as a simple speeding ticket and only escalated because she fled the police twice and attempted to flee a third time.