Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Orbweaver is fantastic. Using thumb for movement makes a massive difference in your ability to cast/use abilities while moving. The mechanical contacts are really pleasant (I also use a DAS keyboard for the mechanical contacts).

Quote Originally Posted by sepulturaa View Post
    U guys discussion keyboards and mouses when the hard part for a cliker is actualy using the keys lol?
    Man use the same keyboard u allways did and the same mouse and bind all all the keys u got near the move character ones.
    Change A and D to strafe left and right. Rebind S key to something else(u dont need backpedal now realy) and go do bgs.
    U need practice not buy keyboard X or Y
    Considering the OP specifically asked for information regarding the keypads being discussed in this forum, I think all the well thought out / clearly conveyed advice and observations so far have been on target.

OT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunk View Post
    How does it stand up to daily use?

I've been told this weekend that the Razer version's an upgrade in durability; but that the Belkin version felt very plastic and wore down swiftly.

Also... if anyone owns an Orbweaver, what made you take that plunge?

I'd love to hear more feedback from someone that *just* uses both a naga epic and an Orbweaver; before writing it off entirely.
    I actually have all three of the keyboards (N52, Nostromo, and Orbweaver) and all of them have held up reasonably over time. The Orbweaver is still relatively new but I have yet to notice any degradation of the rubberized coating on the palm and hand rest, nor have I noticed any degradation of the key surfaces. I got it specifically for the additional keys and passed the Nostromo off to my son, who uses it in conjunction with the Naga Epic that also got passed down when I got the Hex instead. I also use a Razer keyboard as it has a similar tactile feel to the Orbweaver. My major complaint with the Nostromo was that it lights up in blue, while the rest of my gear lights up in green. Thankfully, the Orbweaver lights up green.

Whatever you end up deciding to go with, check them out in a store if possible to ensure that your hand fits comfortably on the device and that you can easily hit all of the keys.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    Someone needs to take away your keyboard until you're better able to read the explicit meaning in sentences without implying whatever you want in order to be contrary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    It's like swatting flies with a shotgun.

Considering the OP specifically asked for information regarding the keypads being discussed in this forum, I think all the well thought out / clearly conveyed advice and observations so far have been on target.
    Read the topic, and the OP post, what he said was well within the scope of this thread.

I was wondering what the MMOC Non-Clicker Community opinion was about these keypads and if there's any other units I may want to look at.
    Why not just use a standard keyboard? My opinion on keypads is they aren't necessary, the bottom line is buying a $90+ keypad won't make you stop clicking. My recommendation is get a Mechanical keyboard, I use this http://shop.daskeyboard.com/collecti...timate-model-s but most mechanical keyboards are fine -- You could even bind your movement keys to ESDF to you can an extra row to the left of your movement keys, some people find using modifiers like shift/ctrl/alt to be odd with the ESDF movement configuration, but it's something to consider if you do go that route.

If you make progress but feel a keypad would be beneficial because of the disability you have on your hand, go for it then. But I think you should just make the plunge before buying a keypad.
    Last edited by Obsession; 2013-12-11 at 10:02 PM.

In regard to the lasting of the Nostromo, I have used it in raiding since the Razer Naga first came out (pre-order even) got both at the same time. The only degradation is some of the ink wore off a couple buttons that i use the most. I raid 3-5 nights a week and have spilled soda/tea on it at least 3 times, never had any degradation of any kind (holding up better then my naga).

Just bear in mind i have the belkin nostromo TE. Its pretty close to the razer nostromo which can still be found but for 120.00 since its out of production. I looked at the newer offings and dont like the lack of the second wheel and thumb bar but thats more personal preference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkdepot View Post
    Actually, the [URL="http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-orbweaver"]The Orbweaver comes in two variants, one silent, one not, but both are mechanical actions.
    Silent? Is that the one you have?

Quote Originally Posted by sepulturaa View Post
    U guys discussion keyboards and mouses when the hard part for a cliker is actualy using the keys lol?
    Man use the same keyboard u allways did and the same mouse and bind all all the keys u got near the move character ones.
    Change A and D to strafe left and right. Rebind S key to something else(u dont need backpedal now realy) and go do bgs.
    U need practice not buy keyboard X or Y
    As others have said, I was also asking about a keyboard; however, your suggestion of doing bgs to skill up is definitely helpful. Probably much better to do that, then old content; or leveling an alt.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
    If you make progress but feel a keypad would be beneficial because of the disability you have on your hand, go for it then.
    It would help, due to nerve damage. I also sit in a recliner; so having my lap free would be a plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basmothel
    Lacking ammo, the forum troll darts into the realm of personal insults and doomsaying; the most primitive means of gaining attention from its peers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyadore View Post
    You know something, none of us ruined the game. We make it better. And so do most of you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
    Why not just use a standard keyboard? My opinion on keypads is they aren't necessary, the bottom line is buying a $90+ keypad won't make you stop clicking. My recommendation is get a Mechanical keyboard, I use this http://shop.daskeyboard.com/collecti...timate-model-s but most mechanical keyboards are fine -- You could even bind your movement keys to ESDF to you can an extra row to the left of your movement keys, some people find using modifiers like shift/ctrl/alt to be odd with the ESDF movement configuration, but it's something to consider if you do go that route.

Even with ESDF you only have 6 actual good keybinds (and that's if you remap the winkey), the advantage of keypads (when using thumb for movement) is that you pretty much invert this image, so space (your thumb) is red and all the rest are pretty much green.

Ofcourse it's not necessary but it wouldn't surprise me if it's the crazy finger gymnastics on standard keyboards that makes the switch hard for clickers.

Quote Originally Posted by empo View Post
    [img]Ofcourse it's not necessary but it wouldn't surprise me if it's the crazy finger gymnastics on standard keyboards that makes the switch hard for clickers.
    That is exactly the issue for me, the movement simply not being natural or something that can be made consistently.
    That is why I have the Belkin n52TE currently, and find it much easier to reach a larger number of buttons than I can on a traditional keyboard.
    Mechanical switches won't change a single thing in that regard.

Unfortunately I am really struggling to adapt to using the thumb pad for movement, instead reverting back to a WASD arrangement in the middle of the keypad.
    I can see the benefits but it is for that same reason I am using that in the first place, the finger gymnastics of it.
    I am finding it easier and more comfortable to have the movement keys on the buttons, the extra button above the d-pad as spacebar and then the d-pad as another 4 keybinds.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Silent? Is that the one you have?
    No, when I bought mine, the silent version was only available directly from Razer. I would rather have the silent version though, as the click of the keypad is noticeably louder than that of my keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Unfortunately I am really struggling to adapt to using the thumb pad for movement, instead reverting back to a WASD arrangement in the middle of the keypad.
    I can see the benefits but it is for that same reason I am using that in the first place, the finger gymnastics of it.
    I am finding it easier and more comfortable to have the movement keys on the buttons, the extra button above the d-pad as spacebar and then the d-pad as another 4 keybinds.
    You gain the same amount of keybinds in the same space by using the D-pad for additional keybinds. You can actually get 8 binds on most of them, but I find the 1/8 of a circle movements are a bit tough to master.
    Someone needs to take away your keyboard until you're better able to read the explicit meaning in sentences without implying whatever you want in order to be contrary.

I have an original Naga that has lasted years. Im hearing lots of people saying the buttons are too close together etc but I find it perfect (and I have big hands!) and my version has the button4 and button5 offset (i.e. not under the mouse wheel like the newer versions) and every single button on my Naga is in perfect position for me to have access to 50 actions if needed. When I first switched from clicking to keybinds I bought a N52e type keyboard but I just couldn't get used to it and found it uncomfortable. Then I bought the Naga and after a bit of experimenting with keyboards settled on the Steelseries Merc Stealth which is also the perfect combination of keyboard and dedicated gaming peripheral, with dedicated buttons for most MMO actions within easy reach of my left hand and easy to get used to pressing a button instead of clicking. Highly recommended!

Last edited by Snichy; 2013-12-12 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snichy View Post
    Then I bought the Naga and after a bit of experimenting with keyboards settled on the Steelseries Merc Stealth which is also the perfect combination of keyboard and dedicated gaming peripheral, with dedicated buttons for most MMO actions within easy reach of my left hand and easy to get used to pressing a button instead of clicking. Highly recommended!
    I still have my Merc Stealth. I didn't even think of that option until you brought it up. I had the original Merc as well and played for probably 3 years combined between the two versions. If you can consider a connected keyboard/keypad combination, I also highly recommend this option as it has the dedicated movement buttons and you can remap any of the buttons if you desire. They also have pre-built configuration files for a huge number of games.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been using a Logitech Wave wireless keyboard, for many years now.

The Merc Stealth looks like a neat solution; and almost half the price of an Orbweaver/Nostromo. I'm just interested in how the USB cable is, as I'm sitting in a recliner, when I game. I've got a Naga Epic mouse; but I keep it plugged in just fine.

Thanks so much for linking that. If the cable is a decent length, I'm pretty sure I'd jump on that.
    Lacking ammo, the forum troll darts into the realm of personal insults and doomsaying; the most primitive means of gaining attention from its peers.
    You know something, none of us ruined the game. We make it better. And so do most of you.

I've been using a Logitech Wave wireless keyboard, for many years now.

The Merc Stealth looks like a neat solution; and almost half the price of an Orbweaver/Nostromo. I'm just interested in how the USB cable is, as I'm sitting in a recliner, when I game. I've got a Naga Epic mouse; but I keep it plugged in just fine.

Thanks so much for linking that. If the cable is a decent length, I'm pretty sure I'd jump on that.
    Could buy a USB extension cable if the need arises.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

I'm just interested in how the USB cable is, as I'm sitting in a recliner, when I game. I've got a Naga Epic mouse; but I keep it plugged in just fine.

Standard 6' length on the cable. It's a combo cable as the keyboard also has a built in USB hub (2 lots), as well as both headphone and mic inputs. Had to pull it out of the closet to take a look at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkdepot View Post
    Standard 6' length on the cable. It's a combo cable as the keyboard also has a built in USB hub (2 lots), as well as both headphone and mic inputs. Had to pull it out of the closet to take a look at it.
    I appreciate the response! I picked one up off Amazon tonight. It's less than half the cost of an Orbweaver right now, so if it doesn't work out for me, I won't feel bad about diving into an Orbweaver in the future (or if I find a killer sale, or Woot!-Off on Razer Products).

10+ Year Old Account
    I use a steelseries sensei mouse (2 buttons per side), not as many buttons as the naga but I always thought I wouldn't do well with that many buttons anyways.

idk if you've already got your keybinds figured out but the standard "WASD" that most people use for movement doesn't work for me AT ALL. I use W (strafe left), E (forward), R (strafe right) and I feel like I have a lot more room to bind keys to the right (the downside being using -alt as a modifier is more difficult).

I'm just interested in how the USB cable is, as I'm sitting in a recliner, when I game. I've got a Naga Epic mouse; but I keep it plugged in just fine.

The cable length is fine for me, and non-tangle which is great. I also use a recliner when I game and spent untold hours and money getting the right setup to be comfortable and eventually have settled on the below (with some imaginative cable management to incorporate my keyboard and mouse!) with my keyboarding sitting where the laptop usually would be and me sat in front of my 40" HDTV.

Last edited by Snichy; 2013-12-13 at 12:27 PM.

Deleted
    with the naga any keyboard will do, you don't need many modifiers with 12 mouse buttons

10+ Year Old Account
    A regular keyboard and 3 button mouse is more than fine.

Deleted
    I bought a nostromo a few years ago and I love it.

With regular keyboards I usually hit wrong buttons under pressure because my hand had to move too much and I constantly had to change its position.

The nostromo has 14 regular keys, 2 thumb keys a wheel and a stick.

I use the 2 thumb keys and 2 buttons on my mouse as modifiers (so 14*4=56 buttons) which is more than enough. I probably only use half of the combinations regularly.

BUT, there is one important thing to note: I play caster most of the time.

The stick on the nostromo is only good for limited movement (i.e. tipping it slightly to move out of stuff) for most larger sets of movement (like chasing after something) I still use my mouse.

So if you play melee/tank primarily and have to be on the move constantly I'm not sure if it is the right choice for you.
    Last edited by mmocb100f50513; 2013-12-13 at 02:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    YES. I'm using a recliner as well. My mouse is on a Goliath mouse pad, on a neat surface designed for the arm (making it essentially, arm chair console). The keypad I get will be on the left side; on the same type of mouse pad sized cover.

I haven't had any issues binding the 12 keys to wow functions yet, but have read that other have had these type of issues.

It's nice to know Bartender is still around. I haven't used a hotbar mod since very early WoTLK.

How do the keys feel on the Nostromo?
    Do you use an actual living room type recliner for PC gaming? That sounds incredibly comfortable but not too practical, but I'm interested.

Also all this talk of these fancy gamepads has me curious. I currently have no problems with my keybinds or anything but I don't know how sold I would be on an MMO mouse.
    Tired of ElvUI and its various clones?

Try one of these:

Altz UI
    // RealUI // KaitUI // ls: UI