Thread: No Man's Sky

10+ Year Old Account
    Need a TLR on that video.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Need a TLR on that video.
    Sure. Here you go. Enjoy

Is this a universe or is it just one galaxy?
    It's a universe. Everyone [starts in the same galaxy, but there's more than one galaxy].

It's been said that your first ship has terrible range. I assume this is just for jumps. Could you potentially manually fly to new solar systems?
    Yes, but nobody's actually done it yet. It takes [...] a really, really long time.

Will there be a "favourites list" of planets?
    Yes, you can set waypoints.

Will every solar system have AI spaceships, or are you sometimes completely alone?
    Yes, you can be completely alone.

Can you cut your engines and just quietly drift through space?
    Yes.

Is xenoarchaeology a thing?
    Sean likes the idea. There were internal conversations about about "remains", but nothing is confirmed yet.

Will there be wormholes?
    The portals that you've seen are kinda like that.

Can you get yourself in orbit around a planet?
    No, the work required by the player would be far too complex.

Will there be rings around some planets?
    Yes, but we haven't shown it yet. If it's on sci-fi book covers, we kinda need to do it.

The atmosphere transitions we've seen so far have been quite short. Will there be a variance in the depth of atmosphere depending on the size of the planet?
    The transition time obviously varies with your ship's speed, and we wanted it to feel like it would in a movie. We'll tailor the speed to what will be fun from a gameplay point of view, rather than something excessively realistic.

Will you be modelling brown/dark-brown dwarf stars, or will you stick to stars with larger masses and temperatures?
    We have a lot of star types, and not all of them exist in the real world.

Will there be planets completely composed of sand or water?
    Yes.

Are there maps of the planet's terrain?
    Yes, there's a minimap, a map and "key points" highlighted which you can discover.

Will there be Earth-like size mountains, canyons and oceans?
    Yes, there are big terrain features.

Can my ship go underwater?
    At the moment, no.

Is it possible to get to a point on a planet where you're completely stranded and unable to reach your ship?
    At the moment, we class that as a bug.

Will there be dynamic/timed weather effects?
    Yes, there will be a single prevailing biome/weather type on a planet.

Are there carnivorous plants?
    Yes. In early builds, we had things similar to Barnacles from Half-Life and bird-eating plants.

Can I be eaten in one bite by a creature/plant?
    Yes, some of them will be.

How big can one animal be? As big as Godzilla?
    You can have really big creatures, but I'm not sure about Godzilla specifically.

Will I be able to have a pet if I find a creature that isn't too big or too aggressive?
    No, and you can't take creatures in your ship.

If I kill a species, will it stay dead? If an area is mined, will it stay mined?
    If you do something of significance, it will be shared. Insignificant things will only be saved locally. Things like killing a bird aren't significant, but things like destroying a space station are.

Will the game have cities?
    I don't want to say how big groups of buildings can be - want people to discover that - but I want people to know what kind of game we're making. Think more about the first three Star Wars films - like Tatooine, out on the edge of space - and less about the later three films with cities, because the latter feels less sci-fi to me.

What's the coolest way that you've died in the game?
    Your suit has different ratings for how long it will survive in different environments. Sometimes, you'll have something marked on your map which you need to discover that you can't get to. I found an ocean which was really deep, and my suit couldn't handle reaching the bottom. I could scan and see something was down there, but it was quite dark. I dived down and ended up drowning, and I'll never know what was down there. It could be a wreck, or a creature that I've never seen before. It's weird; you never really get stuff that spawns there, so I'm curious as to what the system would've created.

Will we be able to establish a home base that we can return to?
    The game isn't really about that - it's more about the voyage - but you can stay in one area if you want to.

Can we sprint in the game?
    Yes. In everything we've shown so far, you're pretty much always walking.

Can you fly your ship in third-person view?
    We've had this discussion a lot internally. At the moment, you're always in first-person. We tried going into third-person when you warp, but we didn't really like it.

Can you name your ship?
    Ships are a discovery like everything else. You can name the ship type if you're the first to discover it - everyone who finds that ship type will have that name - but you can't name a specific ship.

If you see another space ship, can you scan it and see its stats?
    No, only when you see it at a space station or tradepost.

How big are space station interiors? Are they bigger than the docking tunnels we've seen?
    There's space at the back of that docking tunnel, and the space stations themselves are quite huge, but there's not a huge amount to do inside; It's mostly about trading and looking at ships. I think of them as a kind of "ship showroom".

How is it possible for your little ship to compete against a big armada like in the trailers?
    Freighters are armed reasonably well. In order to take them out, you'd need an advanced ship with good equipment just to partake in/survive an engagement. You're normally joining in an active fight or initiating and expecting other ships to join in. You won't be able to do it by yourself. Playing as a pirate, you'll normally take out some smaller dropships, build up your ships, and take out smaller freighters. You can build up your ship enough to survive against a large freighter, but you'll never be large enough to take on a fleet by yourself.

How are factions distributed?
    Do they have "turf" that you can wander into, or are they peppered throughout the universe? It's closer to them having their own "turf". The galactic map is divided up into named regions - different colours representing different resources and things - like you'd see in sci-fi with different "quadrants" of the galaxy.

Is it conceivable to play this game offline?
    Yes.

Is there a significance behind the logo?
    Yes - it's the "Atlas". We haven't said exactly what it is yet, but it's something you encounter in the game.

Is the pop-in we see in the trailers going to be present in the final product?
    It's a part of the generation of the world. You'll pretty much never see it when you're walking around or flying into a planet, but you'll notice it when you're flying over the surface of a planet. It's something that we're looking to reduce.

Is there a targeted framerate?
    We're aiming for 60, but we can't promise that. Higher framerates obviously give a significantly more fluid, responsive game, and that's what we're going for.

Are you considering a physical release?
    We're an indie studio, so we assume it'll be digital-only.

Any chance this could come to Xbox One?
    We're not allowed to talk about that.

With the current build, is the hardware still capable of added content in the future, or are you stretching the capability of current hardware with this game?
    I always think that we could do so much more, but I don't think we'll necessarily achieve everything that we want; we're a really small team after all.

How will the game handle addons/DLC?
    It won't be like traditional DLC. It won't be "There are two new creature types!", it'll be more about new features like you see in Starbound or Terraria. Just more things for the player to do.

Release date?
    2015, not allowed to say more than that. We're going to go quiet to work hard on the game after a month of solid press-work.

I fear that every planet will be completely different but in exactly the same way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    I fear that every planet will be completely different but in exactly the same way.
    I wish we could learn more about the game, I think it could generate some real hype.

Simply showing people scanning animals on a planet, just doesn't seem like a fun game to me. Maybe the first five or six planets, but after that, its going to be extremely repetitive game play.

I know there are space ship battles, but for what? Am I supposed to scan ten thousand animals on various planets and shoot at other ships? Still seems "stupid", for lack of a better term. What is the purpose of this game? The ol` "exploration" tag line is getting old. There has to be something to this game other than "looking at stuff".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demoncrash View Post
    Sure. Here you go. Enjoy
    Thanks for the effort, I feel the video doesn't really offer much new except for a minimap I though that was out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Will I be able to have a pet if I find a creature that isn't too big or too aggressive?
    No, and you can't take creatures in your ship.
    Fuck. I want a horde of small animals.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the effort, I feel the video doesn't really offer much new except for a minimap I though that was out.
    It was recorded in 2014 so that is why it shouldn't have anything new. And that is also why some of its info is outdated.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It was recorded in 2014 so that is why it shouldn't have anything new. And that is also why some of its info is outdated.
    Lol okay, then why was this posted now? :P

So whoever discovers a ship first gets to name it?

That should produce some interesting names. Not sure I really want to fly around in something named the USS Dingleberry or worse.

Game seems pretty cool, but also seems like it could get boring quickly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lol okay, then why was this posted now? :P
    No idea. If you look at the annotation that appears on blue bars towards the start of the video it says this podcast was recorded in 2014. If you read the description on YouTube it says recorded in late 014. It is likely being posted now for publicity.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    I wish we could learn more about the game, I think it could generate some real hype.

Simply showing people scanning animals on a planet, just doesn't seem like a fun game to me. Maybe the first five or six planets, but after that, its going to be extremely repetitive game play.

I know there are space ship battles, but for what? Am I supposed to scan ten thousand animals on various planets and shoot at other ships? Still seems "stupid", for lack of a better term. What is the purpose of this game? The ol` "exploration" tag line is getting old. There has to be something to this game other than "looking at stuff".
    They've shown us much more than what most people think.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/wiki/archive
    https://repo.nmsdb.info/

Those have basically everything that has been shown/announced

Edit: The second one in particular also explicitly says what isn't in the game (multiplayer, base building, flying big ships)

Really it's an exploration/survival game; that's kinda what they to have set out to make.
    Last edited by Tryuk; 2016-03-28 at 09:31 PM.
    Shhhhh, she's doing magical trig bullshit trig substitutions

Quote Originally Posted by Demoncrash View Post
    Sure. Here you go. Enjoy
    Mega-thanks for posting that, ultra-thanks if you typed it out yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    So whoever discovers a ship first gets to name it?

That should produce some interesting names. Not sure I really want to fly around in something named the USS Dingleberry or worse.

Game seems pretty cool, but also seems like it could get boring quickly.
    You don't want to fly around in Shippy McShipface?

Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that the algorithm is set to make more interesting and varied planets the close you get to the centre of the universe. Which is why heading that way is as much of an aim to the game as anything.

You make money to buy better ships to make even more money to buy even better ships. These Elite-type games are basically sandboxes with rewarding activities. As a trader you'll search for lucrative routes, upgrade cargo capacity to increase raw profits and increase shields/weapons to allow you to fly through more dangerous (and hopefully more profitable) systems. As a pirate you'll steal stuff from traders. As a bounty hunter (if they exist) you'll get vengeance for the traders. Explorers go looking at stuff and then get paid for telling someone/thing about it, with a chance that the things you look at are really cool.

It's almost guaranteed there will be some level of tedium/grinding/zen involved with the game. The questions I have are how fun/interesting are the actual mechanics of flying the ship? How good is the risk/reward of the activities with regard to progressing your ship? How frequent and awesome are the possible cool things you can find?

These are things that haven't all been worked out yet, as much of it will just be tweaking numbers. They're also going to differ for everyone who plays, space-sim fans seem to have a higher tolerance for tedium than the average gamer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    You don't want to fly around in Shippy McShipface?
    Be naming mine Lord Iffy Boatrace

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that the algorithm is set to make more interesting and varied planets the close you get to the centre of the universe. Which is why heading that way is as much of an aim to the game as anything.

You make money to buy better ships to make even more money to buy even better ships. These Elite-type games are basically sandboxes with rewarding activities. As a trader you'll search for lucrative routes, upgrade cargo capacity to increase raw profits and increase shields/weapons to allow you to fly through more dangerous (and hopefully more profitable) systems. As a pirate you'll steal stuff from traders. As a bounty hunter (if they exist) you'll get vengeance for the traders. Explorers go looking at stuff and then get paid for telling someone/thing about it, with a chance that the things you look at are really cool.

It's almost guaranteed there will be some level of tedium/grinding/zen involved with the game. The questions I have are how fun/interesting are the actual mechanics of flying the ship? How good is the risk/reward of the activities with regard to progressing your ship? How frequent and awesome are the possible cool things you can find?

These are things that haven't all been worked out yet, as much of it will just be tweaking numbers. They're also going to differ for everyone who plays, space-sim fans seem to have a higher tolerance for tedium than the average gamer.
    So, its going to be like Starbound without building? Like, You build this stuff and now you can go here and get more stuff to survive the next places stuff?? type game?

That might actually be pretty sweet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    The flying turd.

So, its going to be like Starbound without building? Like, You build this stuff and now you can go here and get more stuff to survive the next places stuff?? type game?

That might actually be pretty sweet.
    I definitely remember them saying that the close you get to the centre the better upgrades you'd need. I'm guessing this will be something like needing a harder/faster ship to defeat/escape enemies, a longer range jump drive to skip large gaps between stars (possibly between galaxies,) some sort of refueling device for passing through areas with no civilisation to trade with and/or radiation screening just to survive in hostile environments.

Deleted
    Can you get yourself in orbit around a planet?
    No, the work required by the player would be far too complex.
    What a cop-out answer. Saying 'we didn't put in orbital mechanics' yet putting the blame on the player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it is true that getting an orbit around any planet is extremely difficult. Even funny easy examples like Kerbal Space Program already kind of illustrates it despite being unrealistic.
    That said, probably could've just said no. I imagine it's difficult to program something like that in. You're no longer looking at gravitational pull on surface, but every single step up until you're out of orbit which adds a lot of complexity.