Thread: No Man's Sky

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    You're lucky...i need to find an iceworld for the stage of development im in as they have a particular resource, but my last 5 planets were. 4 desert and 1 lifeless! >_<
    Most of my planets lately are extreme cold. I don't mind to much because I want the extreme survival achievements.

- - - Updated - - -

That's my thoughts as well - and that's not to say the normal game hasn't been made MUCH more difficult than launch! Indeed resources are far scarcer, and all the green easy-to-suck-up crystals are so far absent. I'm getting a little worried that we're not going to see ocean planets though for the same reason we don't see jagged hilly planets anymore, to flatten it out more. Indeed all I found were a few glorified ponds that shockingly also had some life in them (albeit a bit crowded).
    I think they made some resources scarcer even in normal because they are trying to encourage crafting. Where you craft the item to power your stuff rather then the raw resources. Though launch thrusters and early game (since you won't have the ability to craft as much) are still easier with raw resources. I've still found a lot of mountainous planets though so it might just be luck. Or whatever even they changed in the seed for Foundation has more of the same types along paths since I encounter stuff a lot that others are saying are rare for them.

Also the 1.13 notes are out http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/12/patch-1-13/

http://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Resource is a website I just found. Not sure how great it is but it at least has the new foundation resources on its resource list.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

All i have to say is:

When i buy a game, i expect 1 hour of enjoyment per buck i spend (and, in the case of story focused games like skyrim or deus ex, 1 hour of non-repeated content).
    I bought the game after the foundation update, during a sale, for 35 bucks. So far, i played it for 41 hours. So i feel like i got my money's worth, and am not disappointed.
    There are a couple of things i'll try to get in my next play session, and then i'll leave it for a while to see what the next update brings, and i think there's no shame in that. 41 hours is already more then i got out of games i payed more for.

That said, i completely understand people who don't feel that way. Had i bought this game before the update for 60 bucks, i would have been pissed beyond belief.
    Last edited by Thelyron; 2016-12-13 at 03:49 AM.

Well, I'm glad to report that I finally found a proper water world... or in so much that it feels like a planet of islands vs a planet of ponds/lakes.

Was hoping there would be some special kind of harvestable thing in there, but so far no-go. This is the second time though I found Nautilus-like creatures and a swimming shark-like lamprey thing that attacked me.

Just wanted to say that for those of us wondering if proper water was still in this game with the patch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I'm glad to report that I finally found a proper water world... or in so much that it feels like a planet of islands vs a planet of ponds/lakes.

Was hoping there would be some special kind of harvestable thing in there, but so far no-go. This is the second time though I found Nautilus-like creatures and a swimming shark-like lamprey thing that attacked me.

Just wanted to say that for those of us wondering if proper water was still in this game with the patch.
    Yeah after starting a new game on normal mode (Normally when games have a 'realistic/survival/hardcore' mode that's the one I always stick to, but NMS survival mode feels just like playing a 'Dante must die' mode, extra hard with no real 'realism') I found a few water worlds immediately. My first base was even on a nice coast before I moved to a planet with better resources. Survival mode though... nothing. Might be less water for some reason.

Has anyone found one of those giant worm monsters yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

One of the problems with believing the new ´reviews´ after foundations is that most of them are coming from people who never quit to begin with and who always liked the game. There is nothing nefarious about it, but it is similar to many of the MMORPGs who lose a ton of players the first months, and then have the diehard fans explain why the latest patch changes everything and you should come back... those were also the same people who were reviewing the original version very highly.

Now that the price is dropping, from a value standpoint if you can get it for under $25 it is probably worth it, but there are literally dozens of less hyped games on steam that have have the same gameplay but are done much better than NMS. And I think personally it is just better to support developers who didn´t lie or overhype there game, all things being equal.

Honest to God question:

Is this game out of Pre-Alpha yet? I haven't been keeping up on it and was wondering if it had ever moved beyond the point where it could be remotely called a complete game. Because the shit that was available at launch was a fucking insult to the games industry and the community that supports it.

Well, I've made a few more interesting discoveries.

First off, the green crystals are still in the game - just disgustingly rare now. As in, I've played goodness knows how many hours now and only ever found two. They can be found via a scan and look just like the natural plant material Icon (Diamond with a rock icon in the center) but is light yellow/green in the background instead of grey. The ones I found yeilded a good supply of Emiril.

I've also been finding that so called "Dead" worlds tend to be more interesting than they pretend to be. Not only are there massive crops of Thamium and other fuels on these planets... there are other weird natural things to find - such as rings of gravino spheres that shine (and looting just one of them marks you up to a 3-star sentinel rating). And on an even more curious one I found 4 "natural resource" blips on a scan under my feet. Not seeing a cave entrance nearby, i dug a tunnel straight down (via grenades) that opened up into a massive cave complex, and on the cave floor were 4 Vortex cubes I could loot! o_O

On a negative side, anybody else running into the bug where your jetpack dissapears? Like, it literally gets moved out of my exosuit and onto my ship for some reason. Fortunately a save-file reload fixes it - even after you've saved with the jetpack moved, but it is annoying. >_<

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I had a grenade launcher removed from my weapon. So I have to find materials to make one. Otherwise I constantly see deposits underground but no way to get there that I can see.

Well, I've made a few more interesting discoveries.

First off, the green crystals are still in the game - just disgustingly rare now. As in, I've played goodness knows how many hours now and only ever found two. They can be found via a scan and look just like the natural plant material Icon (Diamond with a rock icon in the center) but is light yellow/green in the background instead of grey. The ones I found yeilded a good supply of Emiril.

On a negative side, anybody else running into the bug where your jetpack dissapears? Like, it literally gets moved out of my exosuit and onto my ship for some reason. Fortunately a save-file reload fixes it - even after you've saved with the jetpack moved, but it is annoying. >_<
    Changing resource acquisition might be one of the best changes in my opinion - taps into that same feeling from Minecraft, of needing to go and search for those specific things you need and generally knowing you need to look for specific conditions to find them (seemed the only condition before was hot planets tended to have more Titanium, cold planets had more Chrysonite...they've definitely expanded on that). Do you happen to remember the type of planet you found those crystals on?

Personally I've not encountered major bugs like that, though admittedly my playtime has been limited since the patch hit (end of year releases and MMO for the most part take up most of my gaming time).

Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    Changing resource acquisition might be one of the best changes in my opinion - taps into that same feeling from Minecraft, of needing to go and search for those specific things you need and generally knowing you need to look for specific conditions to find them (seemed the only condition before was hot planets tended to have more Titanium, cold planets had more Chrysonite...they've definitely expanded on that). Do you happen to remember the type of planet you found those crystals on?

Personally I've not encountered major bugs like that, though admittedly my playtime has been limited since the patch hit (end of year releases and MMO for the most part take up most of my gaming time).
    Referring to the Green crystals? Looking at my notes, the last planet I visited that had those was actually a very nice climate (no general adverse problems like heat/toxic/radiation, ect) apart from cold storms that were so mild it was 1-arrow's worth of hitting on your normal shield (ie. a full shield could weather through it no prob. There was lots of flora but no animal life whatsoever.

Right now though I'm on quite the OPPOSITE kind of world. It's an ass-kicker! It's labled EXTREME all the time on the toxic scale (it's over 100 normally), it's a water-world, so the water is double-toxic, toxic atmosphere gets even WORSE at night - and then the Toxic storms hit and it just MURDERS your normal life support with a tripple-combo. Seriously, without a theta shield, it will rip through your life support system from full to empty in less than 15 seconds! >_<

The interesting thing is on this planet I've found are these weird spheres that are free-physics rolling, but if you laser-mine them they give 8-10 Calium that seem to respawn after a short given time! Last extreme weather planet (but not nearly as bad as this one) had mineable Murrine "structures". They come up on your scans the same way the new bio-plants come up as: With a grey diamond with a white rock in the center. Makes me wonder if the worse the conditions on the planet, the more chances you will find exotic materials. FYI - an orbital scan did NOT indicate to me that Calium was present on the planet.

Okay, I don't know much baout this game but I'm curious... Is this a single player game or you can play with your friends?

"Do I care for the lives of mortals? No. Do you care for the lives of ants that crawls beneath your feet?"

Signature by the awesome Winter Blossom

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrick View Post
    Okay, I don't know much baout this game but I'm curious... Is this a single player game or you can play with your friends?
    Single player. Lead dev said multiplayer would be in but well. We all know how that turned out.

I picked it up for £2.99 on ebay second hand and after about 5 hours i just stopped and havent played it in days. Its not mechanically bad, though the jetpacks a bit iffy, but it is by design a game where the moment you reach a new world the "im going to catalogue everything" gets replaced with "its not worth it i need to look for blueprints" and that means like 80% of the game is shit you ignore and is redundant to the objectives. Thats a sign of bad games design. The closest example i have is Minecraft. You start and its very clear "okay i need wood/okay i need iron and carbon" but whereas the entire generated minecraft world remains usable and relevant the worlds of No Mans Sky are good for a handful of elements as you space trucker your way towards the center and the entire time you are more conscious of upkeep. Not eating food now and again but GET POWER GET LIFE SUPPORT GET FUEL GET BOOSTER FUEL and so on and its constant reinforcement that this is not an adventure. This is a job.

I know its not exactly the right things to compare to but there are very few other frames of reference and on the whole they have examples of dynamism No Mans Sky lacks. Rich Evans said it best with "in minecraft its fun and nice, but then night falls and the monster come". In NMS my base world would become luminsecent at night, like everything but the rocks would, but the sentinels start unthreatening and as i got a better tool they only became less so.

I'm now not surprised people said 'but where is the building' because aside from the one or two aliens on a world it seems like its flying between different woodlands and swamps and wastes just to pick up resources and that is not a fun experience at all. I honestly can't see myself touching it again.

I saw some of the videos when it first came out and really wanted to buy it and ended up not. I'm seeing a lot of hatred towards it and was wondering if someone could give me a TLDR version of why I shouldn't buy it. I just bought Astroneer and I'm having a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by jwd911 View Post
    I saw some of the videos when it first came out and really wanted to buy it and ended up not. I'm seeing a lot of hatred towards it and was wondering if someone could give me a TLDR version of why I shouldn't buy it. I just bought Astroneer and I'm having a blast.
    Don't watch any trailers or interviews. Watch youtube/twitch Gameplay video's and decide if its worth your time. The trailers and interviews was bullshit lies.

Also if u wanted Multiplayer it does not have it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Mostly because the dev team bullshitted stuff before the release and it came out a complete mess.

Thanks, I'll go check out Twitch.

Deleted
    Good summary of it all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Before the base building and freighters came, it was a decent game about exploration. With the effectively infinite worlds, you have effectively infinite possibilities. You are most likely to encounter somewhat bland planets, of course, but sometimes the sun hits that ridge just right...the hills sing. Creatures range from boring and ugly to epic and funny, everything you encounter is up to luck. Then of course the (free) foundation update came out. Now there is a reason to go exploring, to get the resources to build the sci-fi base or ship of your dreams. It also comes with a very VERY harsh survival mode if you like walking everywhere, hiding in caves for five minutes for every ten seconds you spend outside, and avoiding combat like the French. So if you like base building, exploration that doesn't make anything purposefully interesting but leaves it up to chance, or just like pretty colors in general, get the game. If not, it might not be for you. Wait and see what future updates have to bring.