Thread: No Man's Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    there is story and a goal. its just more subtle and not the main drive of the game. you can discover ancient alien ruins and learn to read their language. and you're supposed to try and get to the center of the galaxy where theres something but they havent said what it is.

i wonder. will people be able to datamine whats at the center relatively soon after the game releases?
    There isn't a story, there is lore to find. Big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    lore is story, how is there a big difference? just because the narrative isnt the major focus doesnt mean its not there, are you going to try and say overwatch doesnt have a story either?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Doesn't sound like an exploit or even a glitch. Sounds like someone just found a fast path to acquiring currency in the game that may or may not be nerfed in the day 1 patch. Also the developers said 20 hours to reach the center so it's to be expected that people are going to find faster methods.

- - - Updated - - -

lore is story, how is there a big difference? just because the narrative isnt the major focus doesnt mean its not there, are you going to try and say overwatch doesnt have a story either?
    It's not that narrative isn't the focus, it's that there is no narrative. There is no story to the game. Finding random lore bits is not a story, lore is only story when said lore actually plays a part in the narrative(and this game has no narrative).

Not even sure what you where trying to accomplish with your overwatch strawman, if you don't see the difference maybe you should get checked out again after that bus hit you. They did do a CT scan on your head right?

Please post respectfully. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2016-07-31 at 05:16 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    "With a universe as open as ours – with a near infinite number of planets out there to see – we want players to discover everything on their terms. We don’t have huge cut scenes or a traditional linear story." https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016...f-no-mans-sky/

The developers of the game consider there to be a story to NMS and that the lore creates that story as players discover the galaxy. A story can be more then a "themepark" guided tour. The developers have been very careful to distance the game from certain concepts so people don't think it has something it was never designed for. This would be the reason why both the story and multiplayer have been called non-traditional.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    "With a universe as open as ours – with a near infinite number of planets out there to see – we want players to discover everything on their terms. We don’t have huge cut scenes or a traditional linear story." https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016...f-no-mans-sky/

The developers of the game consider there to be a story to NMS and that the lore creates that story as players discover the galaxy. A story can be more then a "themepark" guided tour. The developers have been very careful to distance the game from certain concepts so people don't think it has something it was never designed for. This would be the reason why both the story and multiplayer have been called non-traditional.
    The leaks are already out. We already know what happens when you reach the center. There is no story, let it die. Let it die already. Enjoy the game for what it is if you wish and stop trying to make excuses for what it doesn't have.

where is it stated what happens? last i saw the guy hasnt actually got to the center yet
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

So it's akin to buying the entire Wheel of Time series, but instead of having the story revealed in a linear fashion, you have to run around searching for all the pages in a random, indiscernible order?

A couple friends and I have looked into this game on multiple occasions, and have just not been able to find any medium->long term appeal past discovering the first 5 or so planets.

where is it stated what happens? last i saw the guy hasnt actually got to the center yet
    NG+ starts and you do it all over again. There is no big revelation or anything.

It's all over the neogaf spoiler thread, don't just rely on what people link here if you want to stay up to date.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not that narrative isn't the focus, it's that there is no narrative. There is no story to the game. Finding random lore bits is not a story, lore is only story when said lore actually plays a part in the narrative(and this game has no narrative).
    "“We shouldn’t have a story but we should have a lore,” he explains, referencing the wider world and how that creates a narrative you inhabit. “The things that you see there are there for a reason. The buildings are there because a certain race built them and they look like that race has built them. If you talk to aliens in the game you’ll get touches of that. And that’s lore to me, it’s world building”. " http://www.gamesradar.com/no-mans-sk...make-your-own/

Again the Developers see the lore as the story and narrative to the game. Certain things have a reason for existing with in the in-game universe and that creates the story or narrative for your exploration. It isn't the focus so its a non-traditional approach to it. But to say it has zero narrative, story, or whatever else is deceitful. Otherwise there would be zero lore. As lore exists to create a narrative for your interactions with the game. Unless of course you are using a convoluted definition of narrative in order to create a negative towards the game.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

NG+ starts and you do it all over again. There is no big revelation or anything.

It's all over the neogaf spoiler thread, don't just rely on what people link here if you want to stay up to date.
    well thats dumb

Deleted
    you're supposed to try and get to the center of the galaxy where theres something but they havent said what it is.
    Steve's Sister, Steph, is there

"“We shouldn’t have a story but we should have a lore,” he explains,

Again the Developers see the lore as the story and narrative to the game.
    Did you even read what you posted? He himself admits lore obtained at random with no relevance is not a story, yet you're trying to argue to me that it's story. I don't even know...

It something to do for a few days to make the legion wait time less painfull. I would chose farming sim 17 any day of the week over this game. But oh well. Have to wait even longer for that.

I was already planning to avoid the Demon Hunter starter area when pre-order access opened up because I know it's going to be a stuttering slideshow of lag etc so I'm glad NMS will arrive on my doorstep the same day. I won't feel like I'm missing anything at all.
    "He who lives without discipline dies without honor" - Viking proverb

Deleted

Wait? There's NG+ in NMS? That sounds...odd. What with all the planets to glance at, I just assumed that once you got to the centre & had all the best gear, you just pottered off & explored until you got bored.

15+ Year Old Account
    And it has also been posted that the guy doesn't want to ruin it for millions of people by saying what is there. But with a whole universe of planets is it really a bad thing to explore more of it? The other problem is you are basing all of this on vague tidbits from one player and a lot of "spoilers" don't even cover somethings or could be potential bugs so some parts of the game might not be function properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Svinoi Banana View Post
    Wait? There's NG+ in NMS? That sounds...odd. What with all the planets to glance at, I just assumed that once you got to the centre & had all the best gear, you just pottered off & explored until you got bored.
    Yes, but it appears to not be clear yet if it just sends to to a random seed planet in the same galaxy or is an entirely new galaxy in the NG+ yet(not that it makes much difference either way with the scope we're talking about

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svinoi Banana View Post
    This is the problem with one person being vague. It doesn't come across as a NG+ but rather you get sent to a new galaxy. The guy has indicated that you explore systems on the way to the center of the galaxy and then get sent to a new galaxy. But exact details have been vague because the guy giving spoilers doesn't want to spoil it.

And it has also been posted that the guy doesn't want to ruin it for millions of people by saying what is there.
    There is nothing there, he already cracked under pressure and spilled the beans if you actually read everything

The hype train is far too strong with this one. I hope you don't have a melt down.

15+ Year Old Account
    Did you even read what you posted? He himself admits lore obtained at random with no relevance is not a story, yet you're trying to argue to me that it's story. I don't even know...
    He also says it creates a narrative. Just like with multiplayer they are downplaying certain words because it isn't the focus of the game. What they are saying is that you the player are writing the story with the lore you experience. That they are not writing the story for you but you are writing the story for yourself based on what parts of the narrative you discover and encounter.

You said lore is only part of the story when it plays a part in the narrative. They said they created the lore to all have reasons for existing in the universe. That is part of the narrative and hence part of the story. It is a story just a non-traditional one. A hard concept to grasp given that the entire game is full of non-traditional approaches.

- - - Updated - - -

The hype train is far too strong with this one. I hope you don't have a melt down.
    I am far from one a hype train, I just don't feel the need to hate or be negative about the game when it clearly has certain elements. You can disagree all you want but lore creates a narrative as you experience that lore. It might not be the best, it not be very cohesive but there is still a story to the game. I tried to show you how the developers stated the game has a story but not in the traditional sense. Which is why they have it doesn't have a story but has a narrative and the lore of things has an in-game reason for existing. They even hired writers to work on the lore. They wouldn't put that much effort into it if they didn't intend it to be a narrative for the game.