Thread: No Man's Sky

The main problem is not that you can go to center of galaxy really quick, the problem is after you explore around 20 planets, you will see a pattern. And it will get old very fast. The game relies on being repetitive. There are alot of monster types, but some of them share the same actions. Same with planets really, you explore a few, and you will see the same one over and over (not 100% same, but similar what I meant at the beginning).

If you hate repetitive games (such as NMS), you will not find this game fun. If they handcrafted that so called 4 quintillion planets, animals and such, the game would never ever release.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon-Man View Post
    If you hate repetitive games (such as NMS), you will not find this game fun. If they handcrafted that so called 4 quintillion planets, animals and such, the game would never ever release.
    Ya that seems to be a lot of peoples problem. They want the game to be 100% endless and 100% new the whole time. There is no game ever that can be both.

The funny thing is all they got to add to this is building and it will have equal amount of crap you can do in FO4. Yet people praise FO4 and hate on NMS.

FO4
    1) Build stuff
    2) Collect Stuff
    3) Customize stuff
    4) Combat.

NMS
    1) Build Stuff (Kinda with the ship atm)
    2) Collect Stuff
    3) Customize stuff
    4) Combat.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-08-15 at 08:37 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Ya that seems to be a lot of peoples problem. They want the game to be 100% endless and 100% new the whole time. There is no game ever that can be both.

The funny thing is all they got to add to this is building and it will have equal amount of crap you can do in FO4. Yet people praise FO4 and hate on NMS.

FO4
    1) Build stuff
    2) Collect Stuff
    3) Customize stuff
    4) Combat.

NMS
    1) Build Stuff (Kinda with the ship atm)
    2) Collect Stuff
    3) Customize stuff
    4) Combat.
    That's a horrible comparison and you know it.

Fallout 4 has an overarching storyline, quest objectives, a vibrant, varied, hand-crafted and dynamic world packed with stuff to do, character development, NPC relationships, etc etc.

No no, let's not derail this thread with ridiculous asinine comparisons like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Myz View Post
    That's a horrible comparison and you know it.

Fallout 4 has an overarching storyline, quest objectives, a vibrant, varied, hand-crafted and dynamic world packed with stuff to do, character development, NPC relationships, etc etc.

No no, let's not derail this thread with ridiculous asinine comparisons like this one.
    First off its world is just as Dynamic as NMS's

Second The NPC relationships in FO4 matter as much as NMS (as in they don't)

Third Both FO4 and NMS has quest objectives, FO4 just has more of them.

Forth Overarching story.... You mean the lackluster story where NONE of your choices mattered until near the end where you decide what faction you are with?

Sorry but Fo4 was a lackluster game IMO compared to any of the other Fallout games.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Deleted

Forth Overarching story.... You mean the lackluster story where NONE of your choices mattered until near the end where you decide what faction you are with?

Sorry but Fo4 was a lackluster game IMO compared to any of the other Fallout games.
    You're comparing it to No Man's Sky and claim that if the latter introduced base building, or "building stuff" as you eloquently put it, they're just about the same game from a design standpoint.

Stop trying to make a point, you missed it when you were trying to make it. Now you're just making a mess of yourself, stop when you still can.

Pathetic.

You're comparing it to No Man's Sky and claim that if the latter introduced base building, or "building stuff" as you eloquently put it, they're just about the same game from a design standpoint.

Stop trying to make a point, you missed it when you were trying to make it. Now you're just making a mess of yourself, stop when you still can.

Pathetic.
    Nope didn't mean it from a design standpoint and if you read what I said you would know that. I mean it from a "stuff to fucken do" point.

It can't be a design point since at its core FO4 is a fps with RPG features while NMS is a space,exploring sim.

I get it you love FO4 and don't like people ragging on it.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So if HG adds Krovaxian Preston who implores you constantly to help that Outpost that needs your help fending off some Sentinels/Wildlife... multiplied by quintillion procedurally-crafted planets... my god... it's full of Fallout 4 overarching storylines, quest objectives and vibrant, varied dynamic worlds packed with stuff to do, character development, NPC relationships, etc, etc.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    So if HG adds Krovaxian Preston who implores you constantly to help that Outpost that needs your help fending off some Sentinels/Wildlife... multiplied by quintillion procedurally-crafted planets... my god... it's full of Fallout 4 overarching storylines, quest objectives and vibrant, varied dynamic worlds packed with stuff to do, character development, NPC relationships, etc, etc.
    Right......

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon-Man View Post
    Same with planets really, you explore a few, and you will see the same one over and over (not 100% same, but similar what I meant at the beginning).
    With planets you see it a little more because of the plants and colors being reused a lot more. With animals you will see a pattern yes and a lot of similar ones. But I've still seen a lot of unique ones that I haven't encountered yet. I've posted a few here but I just ran across what looks like a hippo with big ears that has a giant blue circle (like a blueberry) where its mouth would be.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=745080250

Even after 20 planets you still see things that are new or different then the usual stuff. Yes you will eventually see repeated stuff but that is true of any game because nothing is infinite. And any one who thought NMS would be infinite smoke a little to much of the hype. What it feels like the developers did is made some things common so the uncommon and rarer things would stand out more. So everything isn't the same because you'll come across the one that is different and vastly different every so often.

I finally got a ship with a hyper drive upgrade on it so I can start exploring some of the solar systems that are above the "standard" level.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

15+ Year Old Account
    I ran across a monster that vaguely resembled a giant penis. It was tall and cylindrical, and it bounced around on a wider "sack" that had four bulbous areas resembling four testes. I should have taken a picture.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

http://thisgengaming.com/2016/08/15/...have-paid-dlc/

"It was perhaps naive to say No Mans Sky will not be getting paid DLC"

Rev up those wallets kids. Somebody wants to go the Todd Howard route.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post

We'll just have to see if we'll be getting both free patches with more moderate features and then paid DLC with larger features, or if patches will just be bug fixes and stuff and paid DLC will be nickel and diming us $5 here and there for small content stuff.

I could actually stand the former, having some moderate sized patches and paid DLC "expansion" type content. We shall see.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

"Maybe in the future there’s some reason why we just couldn’t possibly afford to do a certain feature without charging for it".

yeah i was kinda enticed a little by the thought of free dlc but, honestly I kinda knew that was going to eventually be unsustainable.

some ppl are saying that story is fake, dunno about that. it does seem a little strange i mean, of all the things you could come out and say at this point.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-08-16 at 12:16 AM.

If it doesn't become 'real' cooperative enabled in some way, shape or form they better have some massive new gameplay features on their way. I feel like from what I've seen so far it is nothing but a barebones sandbox game without anything that makes sandbox games enjoyable. They have the gathering and some crafting (by way of the ship), but the only purpose to the crafting is to gather better to craft better to gather better to craft better so on and so forth. Looking at other very successful sandbox games you can see key aspects that make them distinctive and fun to play. Minecraft has the world building, plus a large variety of different objects and items as well having colossal potential for modding. Terraria's combat is both fun and engaging, and while being a sandbox there is a very clear sense of progression through weapons, gear and bosses, and while taking immense time to progress it never really becomes stale anywhere along the way. Heck, I am just starting to play a game on Steam called Subnautica, which is an early-access underwater survival & exploration game. The developers give it a price of 20 dollars, but its closer to a completed game than No Man's Sky, even though it has arguably more bugs. There is still a sense of progression and meaning behind your actions. The point behind collecting materials isn't just to collect more or better materials, but to construct better means of exploring the ocean and eventually progress the loose story to the point where you arrive at the story's 'end'.

No Man's Sky doesn't really seem to have any of the strengths that these games have that are making them quality sandbox games. There is no construction like in Minecraft and the variety of resources, objects, etc. is relatively low. The combat is awful and lacks variety. There is no ultimate purpose or meaning behind what you are doing apart from just doing what you are already doing except better or faster.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    There is no ultimate purpose or meaning behind what you are doing apart from just doing what you are already doing except better or faster.
    as soon as we start bringing the 'point' into any game it breaks down, every single game, has no point at least no inherent goal that ends in some sort of tangible reward. but apathy breaks this game instantly. it breaks most sand boxes. without some level of enthusiasm to meet your own goals you will find no reason to keep playing it.

largely the purpose is a never ending journey of discovery, I don't want to spoil the plot in case someone doesn't know about it but, there is something almost god like in the story line if you will. I still don't know the actual story just what the goal is or can be. but the over all goal can be anything personal from naming the most things to visiting the most stars to finishing the most paths. it can be quite meta but there is definitely a point if you want there to be one. like minecraft, that essentially has no point, you have to make your own. even with all its mods and items it still doesn't really have an overall point, only what you want to do with it.

I personally can get a kick out of just sight seeing, it could be a lot deeper, but its definitely a great platform so far. perfect hell no, but decent enough for a console port.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2016-08-16 at 02:54 AM.

Yeah, no offense there JT, but that comparison is pointless and down right wrong. FO4 and NMS are not even in the same ballpark as each other.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post

And so it begins.

People basically paid $60 for an alpha/tech demo of a game. And now they will more than likely be paying even more money to get content and features that will eventually make it a full game! Should we take bets on how much money each person will have to spend in order to finally say the game is finished and ready for it's real release? $100? $150? $200?

Sorry, but the longer all this goes on, the more it becomes apparent that this game needed another year or two in development. The fact they even had the nerve to charge $60 for what is in essence a demo of their game is pretty absurd.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2016-08-16 at 05:45 AM.

4658 - 6584 - 5846 - XXXX
    1 - 2 - 4 - 8 - XX

Fuck this shit I want my money back -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Yeah, no offense there JT, but that comparison is pointless and down right wrong. FO4 and NMS are not even in the same ballpark as each other.

- - - Updated - - -

And so it begins.

People basically paid $60 for an alpha/tech demo of a game. And now they will more than likely be paying even more money to get content and features that will eventually make it a full game! Should we take bets on how much money each person will have to spend in order to finally say the game is finished and ready for it's real release? $100? $150? $200?
    And the doom calling begins again...... You remind me of this planet i landed on where the sentinels were Kill on sight hostile and the animals were too.

Also, fallout 4 had a story that was, somewhat interesting, but once you completed that the game became pretty much a grind materials and save another settlement shitfest. In time spent in game so far is 34 hours in no man sky, fallout was 55 hours, at which point i grew so bored that i cant stand opening the game again due to the settlement saving bull that is the end game there, which IMO is much, MUCH more tedious than anything in no man sky.

Now, i do not know wether i will play no man sky for 55h, i may still hit the wall with it, but in comparison to a game like fallout i have for now seemingly gotten my moneys worth, unless i suddenly decide to stop playing it for good.

In regards to dlc content, time will tell, if its something interesting i will buy it, if not, so be it, it is just a game.

People basically paid $60 for an alpha/tech demo of a game.
    Sauce for this, or at least qualify this statement. On its own, given the game as it exists, it's completely false.

And now they will more than likely be paying even more money to get content and features that will eventually make it a full game!
    The "full game" already exists, and can be purchased. Additional content or features/systems sold after launch are just that, post-launch content and features. It's not like the team was working on all that content ahead of launch, between the time that they mastered and the game launched on PS4 they were working on the day 1 PS4 patch (minus some time to put that through certification), and since the PC launch they've been working on optimization for both platforms.

Should we take bets on how much money each person will have to spend in order to finally say the game is finished and ready for it's real release? $100? $150? $200?
    Seriously, did this game like, murder your litter of puppies or something? You have a serious dislike of it.

Sorry, but the longer all this goes on, the more it becomes apparent that this game needed another year or two in development.
    To do...? Performance on PS4 is apparently pretty good, PC launch seems pretty usual for a PC launch of a large scale game (even with a small file size), there are no major features or systems missing to my knowledge (other than being able to actually see other players). Sure, they could always add more content, but they didn't sell the game on content and features that aren't currently in it, and plenty of folks were just fine with that.

The fact they even had the nerve to charge $60 for what is in essence a demo of their game is pretty absurd.
    The fact that you have "the nerve" to want to tell developers who have poured years of their lives what they should be able to charge for their game is pretty absurd, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    4658 - 6584 - 5846 - XXXX
    1 - 2 - 4 - 8 - XX

Fuck this shit I want my money back -.-
    you know you can just save by entering your ship or using the waypoint on the building and reload if you get those puzzles wrong.

honestly i dont understand peoples complaints about the game. it seems to just be the diablo 3 syndrome where people got overhyped.

the games not perfect but ive already gotten 6 hours out of it on my first planet and theres plenty of 60$ games where i barely got 6 hours out of the game.

right now id say the biggest flaw of the game is inventory management and lack of npcs. im not sure why they couldnt at the very least have populated these planets with some minecraft esque randomized villager type aliens. i mean, theyre already like halfway there considering i just found an alien on my planet.

i dont see why they decided to make the npcs so rare and so few of variety yet i see spaceships flying above me all the god damn time i cant interact with.

it would be nice if they made an expansion or something where all these languages im learning could actually be applied more. i love finding all the lore bits and ive found some cool story stuff but i dont see why they couldnt have expanded on that and the space station idea.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552