Thread: No Man's Sky

Finally. custom ships and improved stations.
    I was waiting for this update

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    NMS just keeps killing it.
    Do they really? I legit haven’t checked in on this game since the disastrous launch. I kinda thought it was dead in the water lol

Definitely cool and stuff that's been on the community wish lists for a while.

I'm still hoping for an explorer update that does more with that aspect...

That still seems to be the one thing that doesn't get updated with all these updates they do.

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNotSmilesTimes View Post
    Do they really? I legit haven’t checked in on this game since the disastrous launch. I kinda thought it was dead in the water lol
    You've been living under a rock for the past 8 years I suppose

Sounds like you missed the biggest developer redemption story since FF14
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

This Orbital update kinda goes hard. Damn, this is fantastic.

The Patient
    1+ Year Old Account
    You poor soul… you missed so many years of a wonderful game. It’s like nothing else.

It's a lot better than it was at launch, but take some of the praise here with a grain of salt. It's good, but not "omg amazing!".

Very much of the "width of an ocean; depth of a puddle" variety. There's a lot to do but it's very samey/grindy after a while. Maybe you'll find a particular aspect that really speaks to you and hooks you, but it's almost equally likely you'll get bored after a couple dozen hours--which is honestly also fine since it's a one-time payment and not a subscription.

YMMV is the TL;DR, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    It's a lot better than it was at launch, but take some of the praise here with a grain of salt. It's good, but not "omg amazing!".
    I disagree. NMS is one of the best experiences I have had in gaming for over 40 years.

If a player wishes it were a hardcore space sim or demanding FPS; well, that is something different. But in terms of game design and expression, this is one of the best games made in decades.

I have rarely seen game expression as fantastical and artistically framed in the modern era.

15+ Year Old Account
    If a player wishes it were a hardcore space sim or demanding FPS; well, that is something different. But in terms of game design and expression, this is one of the best games made in decades.
    It may be the best based on your personal definition of expression but it is the height of folly to say it is the best designed game. There are still many clunky aspects. The questing is generic. The story is generic. There isn't much expression of that story. It is very much a comic book type of thing. Where you have short "pages" of story.

This isn't to say the game is bad for the way it is doing stuff. I think the game is great. But there is no reason to over sell it at all.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

I disagree. NMS is one of the best experiences I have had in gaming for over 40 years.

I have rarely seen game expression as fantastical and artistically framed in the modern era.
    See this? Yeah, this is the overly glowing review one needs to heavily moderate with healthy skepticism before diving in, because the rose-colored glasses are practically welded on at this point.

It's a good, fun game...to a point. It's not especially awe-inspiring unless you're easily inspired to awe.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    It's not especially awe-inspiring unless you're easily inspired to awe.
    To you.

There were planets we landed on that were breathtaking vistas. We built a rollercoaster that spanned a jungle and went into an ocean. I had dog fights between two stars with huge battle fleets and worlds with rainbow color rings. And I did it in VR.

Shit was amazing.

NMS is a huge success and deserves all the most glowing praise people heap on it. The content they've added could have been a few expansions or a boatload of DLC and it's all been added to the base game. I don't think they even have MTX, or if they do they've never mentioned it to me. My only gripe - and admittedly it's quite a big one - is I don't enjoy playing it that much. But I can't hold it against them that it just isn't my cup of tea. I'm hella jealous of the people who are enjoying it.

- - - Updated - - -

To you.

There were planets we landed on that were breathtaking vistas. We built a rollercoaster that spanned a jungle and went into an ocean. I had dog fights between two stars with huge battle fleets and worlds with rainbow color rings. And I did it in VR.

Shit was amazing.
    Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. C-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate...

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. C-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate...
    I know!

My son and I built a Mario Kart-style race track on a blue & pink dinosaur planet that started from a platform reaching almost into orbit. With jet-pack sprints and underground tunnels and jump pads.

He took the glasses off, said, "Mom, this is amazing! We were there!" and gave me a high five. It was indeed, amazing. I felt like we were on that planet too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    NMS is a huge success and deserves all the most glowing praise people heap on it. The content they've added could have been a few expansions or a boatload of DLC and it's all been added to the base game. I don't think they even have MTX, or if they do they've never mentioned it to me. My only gripe - and admittedly it's quite a big one - is I don't enjoy playing it that much. But I can't hold it against them that it just isn't my cup of tea. I'm hella jealous of the people who are enjoying it.

- - - Updated - - -

Although the launch was indeed disastrous and Sean Murray actively lied to the market, what happened after that launch was indeed anything sort of miraculous. One of the best redemption stories ever.

What HG did really well was a couple of things:
    - Manage to deliver a product with an extremely small cost base, a handful of devs, so the profits generated thanks to the Sony marketing promotion machine were huge compared to that base cost. Based on lies in the first place but profits nevertheless. Those profts allowed Sean Murray to re invest in development after launch and get the game to the point it is today at no additional cost for us. Credit where credit is due, Sean could have used that money elsewhere, or charge us for DLC, but he did not.
    - Develop a product with an extremely solid foundation that could be added upon on a modular basis basically for ever with minimal disruption of core code.

It is a great game although I would not say it is among my most played list. Its VR is fantastic though.
    Last edited by Cloverfield; 2024-04-17 at 07:00 AM.