Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't really have a strong opinion one way or another because everyone has the right to control their own body, which means ending their life if they so choose. Beyond that I look at it on a case by case basis. It's not fair to label them all selfish cowards. Everyone has a different set of circumstances they're dealing with.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    I think its best to just not take anybodies opinion(if they think its cowardly) of suicide seriously if they themselves have never been suicidal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rederoin View Post
    I think its best to just not take anybodies opinion(if they think its cowardly) of suicide seriously if they themselves have never been suicidal.
    and that, is the winning post of this thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    I was the first person to find a suicidal man, I saw the pain he put his family through. I saw a daughter who lost her father that day. I saw a wife that lost her husband. I saw friends who had no idea why this happened. So your assumption is wrong. I have seen suicide. I have also seen the real effects of it. To put your wife, child, and friends through that is disgusting. They loved him, and now he's gone.
    So you are basically saying you saw one side of the entire thing and you base your opinion on that. Did you see what pushed that man to do it? Did you feel what he felt?
    Someone before me already said that it's not as "black and white" as you would like it to be, and that was very true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    No offense, but you just proved yourself wrong. You said "the only way out is suicide" then you go on to tell us about how you went through this and didn't commit suicide. We are also all saying that disease is a different case. Depression is not in my book.\

Going afk to hang christmas lights.
    Its possible that he didn't know when or if the pain would stop. Its no surprise people in such situations would consider suicide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edinburgh, Scotland. You know, that place with the castle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuetea View Post
    I think people saying "it's selfish" or "it's cowardly" have never had to live through the kind of stuff that people tend to commit suicide over. For example, take trans people, the minority group with the highest suicide rate in most of the developed world (at around 30%, with 50% having had at least one suicide attempt by their 20th birthday).

To say it's selfish or cowardly to such people would show a complete lack of understanding for their struggles. You can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to be in that position, to wake up every day feeling sickness and hatred for your own body, and often being in a position where your family don't approve of transitioning, so you are stuck like that, watching your life pass you by trapped in this shell of misery that you can't escape from. If you can't understand wanting to kill yourself in that position, you have no empathy, and to say "Go and get help" or "Think of the people you leave behind" when often it's the people you are leaving behind who won't allow you to go get help just shows a clear lack of understanding. Obviously this is just one case and not all people who commit suicide are trans, but I'm just using it as an example. Not that I'm advocating suicide, I don't think it's the right option, but I can understand why people would want to do it.
    Thank you for this. As you say, the people saying such bull as "it's cowardly" truly have no idea.

My uncle committed suicide in his 50s after suffering severely from Bipolar disorder since his early teens - every day was a struggle for him and he'd tried killing himself several times before. For much of his life he was truly miserable and did not think clearly at all, so his desire to kill himself was totally understandable.

For the people saying it's "cowardly", try putting yourself in the shoes of such people. Try a little thing called 'empathy'.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    Ok now need to stop that pointless conversation - if wikipedia is an authority for you then ...
    Again, you ignore all arguments and questions and hold yourself on a small part of the post. Can't you answer them? I guess answering the questions would be bad for your point of view, wouldn't it? I can understand that.

Anyway, I just thought you didn't have quick access to cientific books on the subject, that's why the sentence "Hell, just..." but if you do have quick acess to them, by all means, read them. That is, of course, if you don't think fear is a survival mechanism. After you educate yourself a little bit more you will understand that it is.

I would just withdraw from this argument if I were you. At least untill you do a little bit of research.
    Last edited by Snorlaxi; 2013-12-10 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    So if your mistakes pushed you to the point of suicide you would hurt yourself, makes perfect sense.
    I think you need to reread my post...

If one is mortally inflicted, horribly maimed, or in great pain, I can see cause. If someone had pushed me to the point of suicide, I would likely hurt that person instead (hypothetically speaking, of course).
    "If one is mortally inflicted, horribly maimed, or in great pain" as in if your quality of life is really bad and there is no chance of it getting better.

"If someone had pushed me to the point of suicide, I would likely hurt that person instead." Logically you stop the person that is causing you pain. Hypothetically speaking of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknowdoya View Post
    I think you need to reread my post...

"If one is mortally inflicted, horribly maimed, or in great pain" as in if your quality of life is really bad and there is no chance of it getting better.

"If someone had pushed me to the point of suicide, I would likely hurt that person instead." Logically you stop the person that is causing you pain. Hypothetically speaking of course.
    logic dictates if you = person causing harm, you hurt you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Just wanted to point out that a hallmark of clinical depression is what are called 'cognitive distortions'. That is to say that a clinically depressed person may sincerely believe things about themselves or the world around them that may not actually be true. For someone who truly, genuinely believes that the world and the people close to them would be better off without them around, suicide actually seems selfless: they are finding the courage to end their life so that the people they care about can improve their lives.

As this thread illustrates, people will give drastically different weight to particular pieces of evidence. Someone who is depressed may ignore evidence that they are loved, or may pass such evidence off as 'other people just want me to feel better so I stop whining' for example. The same person might be able to find ample evidence supporting their depressed viewpoint, such that the conclusion to commit suicide is the rational result of assessing the available evidence. In this case, therapy serves the function of helping a person to reassess the weights of the various pieces of evidence to which they have access in a way that is more self-serving. In other words: to a person with depression, therapy is the systematic process of lying to yourself so that you can continue to be a burden on others for no real benefit.

Since I personally have experience with clinical depression, I can speak to some of that experience. I cannot, however, speak to any other reasons someone might have for committing suicide. Shame and dishonour appear now and again as reasons for suicide in some cultures, and I honestly have no thoughts on that because I don't understand it well enough.

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well i have been through this kind of shit before, matter of fact, it was last year. If i can find my original post from yahoo asking for guidance i will gladly show you guys what i have been through. However, my opinion on suicide is a little biased. I think its really stupid and that you do Have to have some guts to do it. I never planned on killing myself or had any intentions of doing it, i just wanted to be noticed by my family and a few others, nothing ever seemed to work. I feel like the people that attempt to commit suicide just want attention and don't realize that life is worth living no matter how harsh it becomes. I went through a little phase and i am way over it now and really do wish i never made such a mistake. I wish i could be there for those who need help because i would be there for them.

Edit: Ahh found it, this is what i went through last year.
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4133245AA9Gwpy
    Last edited by BarelyLegalBear; 2013-12-10 at 07:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo5566 View Post
    Well i have been through this kind of shit before, matter of fact, it was last year. If i can find my original post from yahoo asking for guidance i will gladly show you guys what i have been through. However, my opinion on suicide is a little biased. I think its really stupid and that you do Have to have some guts to do it. I never planned on killing myself or had any intentions of doing it, i just wanted to be noticed by my family and a few others, nothing ever seemed to work. I feel like the people that attempt to commit suicide just want attention and don't realize that life is worth living no matter how harsh it becomes. I went through a little phase and i am way over it now and really do wish i never made such a mistake. I wish i could be there for those who need help because i would be there for them.
    What did you do to get help or where did you find help?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't hold any hard feelings against anyone that commits suicide. Odds are, I'll end up doing it one day as well

It's not that I see it as a cowards way out. That isn't it for me, and to be frank - everyone's personal opinions on it are moot in my eyes. I like the fact that I can live and die as I choose, to be able to say I had a great run, but it's time. I admire that a lot. I'm not suicidal, nor have I been for a pretty good stretch now. At the end of the day, it's all about whether or not I want to go out. I like that. Won't be any pain, any suffering, and it won't be a forethought or anything - I'll just do it.
    Last edited by Mongler; 2013-12-10 at 07:09 PM.
    | Happiness is the best revenge |

10+ Year Old Account
    What did you do to get help or where did you find help?
    Within my inner self. I realized i was just in a phase of feeling lonely. I went to a hospital, bad as hell there and annoyed the doctors. They said i had depression, i was like the hell i do. Put me on medication, refused to take it. Nothing was wrong with me, i just wanted attention from others and when i got out my family started to be around me more often.

Deleted
    Everyone has the right to kill themselves. I'd be fine with goverment granting easy and painless methods for suicide rather than having people jump from buildings or crashing their cars into trucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo5566 View Post
    Within my inner self. I realized i was just in a phase of feeling lonely. I went to a hospital, bad as hell there and annoyed the doctors. They said i had depression, i was like the hell i do. Put me on medication, refused to take it. Nothing was wrong with me, i just wanted attention from others and when i got out my family started to be around me more often.
    Im sorry if this might come off as offensive but you really werent depressed not everyone is just going through a phase. In vague terms people who care for me have grat expectations of me while I have no aspirations or life prospect basically Im feeding them lies to make them happy temporarily and Idk how to break it to them anything I do will hurt them and while Im not suicidal cause Im a a coward, but I hate living like this so much that death doesnt seem like a bad idea so suicidal thoughts pop up from time to time.

They want help or attention in life since they are unable to get it they kill themselves to get attention in death.
    I know that this is just an opinion, but it actually made me angry. I am a survivor of Suicide. When I was 17 years old I tried to take my own life by overdosing, and another time by bleeding out. No, not cutting, full blown knife to the chest. I didn't do it for the attention. I did it because I hated myself and my life. I've never felt an emotion so strong before. By the age of 14 I had been extensively abused in every way possible, and because of this, I thought there was something wrong with me, and genuinely wanted to just make everyone's life easier since I was the supposed problem. I hated myself so much I stuck a 9 inch kitchen knife into my chest and fell on to the bathroom floor bleeding out.

How dare you say it's just for attention when you probably have no idea what it's really like to hate yourself that much.

OT: Suicide isn't the answer. Everyone has something to offer the world and should never give up on that fact. Regardless of your situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aherooffools View Post
    I know that this is just an opinion, but it actually made me angry. I am a survivor of Suicide. When I was 17 years old I tried to take my own life by overdosing, and another time by bleeding out. No, not cutting, full blown knife to the chest. I didn't do it for the attention. I did it because I hated myself and my life. I've never felt an emotion so strong before. By the age of 14 I had been extensively abused in every way possible, and because of this, I thought there was something wrong with me, and genuinely wanted to just make everyone's life easier since I was the supposed problem. I hated myself so much I stuck a 9 inch kitchen knife into my chest and fell on to the bathroom floor bleeding out.

How dare you say it's just for attention when you probably have no idea what it's really like to hate yourself that much.

OT: Suicide isn't the answer. Everyone has something to offer the world and should never give up on that fact. Regardless of your situation.
    I apologize for being vague with that comment but I was referring to public suicides, like streaming it or doing it in a crowded place. And btw i didnt mean anything negative by it some people go unnoticed when they really need someone to truly be there for them but no one seems able to help.

I apologize for being vague with that comment but I was referring to public suicides, like streaming it or doing it in a crowded place. And btw i didnt mean anything negative by it some people go unnoticed when they really need someone to truly be there for them but no one seems able to help.
    It's okay. Thank you for your apology. I normally don't get so upset, but it's a very sensitive topic. I honestly think that with the recent movements to decrease bullying and discrimination eventually (hopefully) we'll see a decline in suicide. Also if there were more suicide hotlines, or people were more aware of what they're saying. I see "Go kill yourself" in the gaming world all the time; what a terrible thing for someone to say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im sorry if this might come off as offensive but you really werent depressed not everyone is just going through a phase. In vague terms people who care for me have grat expectations of me while I have no aspirations or life prospect basically Im feeding them lies to make them happy temporarily and Idk how to break it to them anything I do will hurt them and while Im not suicidal cause Im a a coward, but I hate living like this so much that death doesnt seem like a bad idea so suicidal thoughts pop up from time to time.
    Nothing taken, you're right, i was not depressed. We all have our days. Sometimes we get emotional but we can't let it get to the best of us. Small things add up and when you burst, it does not come out lightly. I keep to myself a majority of the time, i feel like it is the best thing to do. Don't feed them lies either, be honest, if they can't handle it, then they, themselves aren't strong. I used to lie a lot so no one would know how i felt. I got through that, i don't lie anymore like i used too. If you're ugly, i'm going to be 100% honest and tell you that you are ugly. Not referring to anyone though, that's just my 2 cents on that. I mean if you ask a question, be prepared for an honest answer.

Also my view on life is a bit different then others. I don't value my life as much as i do yours. I don't care about what happens to me as long as the person next to me is okay. I would give my life up any moment now JUST so another person could wake up tomorrow. Does that make me suicidal? No, i am a self sacrificing person and willing to risk my life no matter the situation. Now lets just hope i can still get in the military, i'm one of kind.

OT: If you're feeling suicidal, you just have to look up. I don't believe in Jesus Christ. I believe in something though, just can't grasp it just yet. Don't ever feel like you are nothing because you, yourself are an inspiration to me.