10+ Year Old Account

Setting your resolution lower than native?

In wow if i were to set my resolution lower than native, i would see an fps bump, but it makes the screen super blurry and the ui is impossible to read. Ive seen screen shots of people running the game in a lower resolution but it still looked normal. Am i doing something wrong?

ui scale i guess?
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

Deleted
    Screenshots look normal since they are displayed in your screen's native resolution.

Resolution is different from other quality settings since it kind of doesn't improve the quality. It just determined the amount of pixels your graphics card has to draw each frame. If it doesn't match the amount of pixels on your monitor, it has to be scaled, resulting in blurriness.
    Last edited by mmoc04fee285e2; 2013-12-10 at 02:27 PM.

Deleted
    Yes you probably are!

Set your resolution to lower then your native but maintain the same aspect ratio. For example lets say your native is 1680×1050(16:10), to maintain screen readability set it to lower such as 1440x900 or 1280x800.

If you calculate it, you can easily see that all of these resolution if divided width by height will return you 1.6.

Similar calculations can be done for other aspect ratios too.

And the people that use those lower resolutions probably play the game in windowed mode, where it looks just as sharp as always since the monitor is still using its native resolution.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    Yes you probably are!

Set your resolution to lower then your native but maintain the same aspect ratio. For example lets say your native is 1680×1050(16:10), to maintain screen readability set it to lower such as 1440x900 or 1280x800.

If you calculate it, you can easily see that all of these resolution if divided width by height will return you 1.6.

Similar calculations can be done for other aspect ratios too.
    It will still end up being blurry. Only way to make lower resolutions not look shite on flat panels is scaling them all the way down to fourth of the original resolution. Like 2560x1440 to 1280x720. That way the image ends up being rendered in 2x2 pixel clusters.

Having black borders around the screen is another option. But really, run games at native resolutions and lower the settings accordingly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Taffer View Post
    And the people that use those lower resolutions probably play the game in windowed mode, where it looks just as sharp as always since the monitor is still using its native resolution.
    It sounds like he just saw screenshots of the game, obviously those look fine in a browser.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    It will still end up being blurry. Only way to make lower resolutions not look shite on flat panels is scaling them all the way down to fourth of the original resolution. Like 2560x1440 to 1280x720. That way the image ends up being rendered in 2x2 pixel clusters.

Having black borders around the screen is another option. But really, run games at native resolutions and lower the settings accordingly.
    Yes of course it will be blurry, but at least it wont be deformed. I've been in that boat before so I do know what I'm talking about. Blurry with proper proportions is playable - not very pleasant on the eye but if you are not very demanding you can get by with it. On the other hand blurry with everything stretched one way or the other is not.

Deleted
    I guess it's a matter of preference, then, I wouldn't give up native resolution in any circumstance other than the resulting resolution being a fourth of the original as described above. In case of WoW you could, for example, use console commands to make the game quite light graphically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    I guess it's a matter of preference, then, I wouldn't give up native resolution in any circumstance other than the resulting resolution being a fourth of the original as described above. In case of WoW you could, for example, use console commands to make the game quite light graphically.
    I already run on all low, and the game is playable in anything but raids. Its unplayable when fighting world bosses though. 25-40 fps in world. 20-40 in dungeon. 10-15 in 10 man, and 2-10 in 25 man. World bosses get a slide show of 1-4 fps.

Deleted
    i got the resolution somewhat lower but i have a pretty huge screen and play them in windowed mode,and i dont really see/need performance increases

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I already run on all low, and the game is playable in anything but raids. Its unplayable when fighting world bosses though. 25-40 fps in world. 20-40 in dungeon. 10-15 in 10 man, and 2-10 in 25 man. World bosses get a slide show of 1-4 fps.
    In that case it isn't about graphics but your CPU. Resolution won't solve that.

And going all low in the settings dialog isn't the lowest WoW can do. Check this thread. In addition, you should try increasing texture setting to high and enabling 8x or 16x AF (texture filtering). It hardly reduces FPS and the game looks a lot better afterwards.