10+ Year Old Account

Is a Radeon HD 7750 to 7870 too small of an upgrade?

Hi there! Currently, my desktop has a Radeon HD 7750 in it, and I'm looking to upgrade. I've almost decided that, at around $200, the 7870 is the card that I want. Is the 7870 too small of an upgrade to bother, at the price? If so, what card should I be looking at? I have ~$300 budget, although I may need to upgrade my PSU as well (I currently have a Thermaltake TR2 430w).

The thing is, I have a history of poor upgrade decisions. With my wife's old desktop, I went 4850 to 5770 to 7770, and looking back now I probably could have left the 4850 in there and saved myself the trouble. So, this time around, I'm looking to avoid the mistake of making half-step upgrades.

Thanks for the help!

I would really try hard to find a 7950, to make an upgrade worthwhile.

You will most likely need a new PSU anyway, it's one of the best investments for your PC, and will save you money on your electricity bills overall, if you get a gold or platinum rating one.

You could make do with a 600W Psu most likely, but post your full spec if you want us to be sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good luck finding any 7xxx above the 7850. As far as I'm aware, there are nearly none in retail stock. Like.. anywhere. I was going to recommend the 7870 Ghz for $150 but.. OOS.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crushima View Post
    I would really try hard to find a 7950, to make an upgrade worthwhile.

You will most likely need a new PSU anyway, it's one of the best investments for your PC, and will save you money on your electricity bills overall, if you get a gold or platinum rating one.

You could make do with a 600W Psu most likely, but post your full spec if you want us to be sure.
    Here's my current setup:

Plus the Thermaltake TR2 430W that I mentioned earlier.

And here's the thing, I would get a 7950, but Litecoin mining has made them skyrocket in price. They're selling for upwards of $400 used on Ebay, and they're out of stock with jacked-up prices on Newegg, and by the sound of things it's going to stay that way for at least another month or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    A 270X is a perfectly good upgrade for you.

About 60 % increase compared to 7750.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A...II_TOP/26.html

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card ($205.66 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $250.65
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-10 13:23 EST-0500)
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

You can also reference Toms Hardware November Graphic card breakdown. The hierarchy chart, found here http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3107-7.html states that you should look for upgrades at least three tiers higher than your current tier. It looks like the upgrade will be beneficial to you.

The 270 (non x) is a better deal at 179.00 as long as you are not adverse to overclocking (only difference between the two is the x version has a higher clock speed).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121823

Also there is zero reason to upgrade PSU's, your psu has plenty of power for this GPU and also has the proper connectors (1 6 pin PCI-E).

- - - Updated - - -

Linus's 270 review explaining the 270:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLQrZseRlew

The title should be "why does the 270x exist for 20 dollars more"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    The 270 (non x) is a better deal at 179.00 as long as you are not adverse to overclocking (only difference between the two is the x version has a higher clock speed).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121823

Also there is zero reason to upgrade PSU's, your psu has plenty of power for this GPU and also has the proper connectors (1 6 pin PCI-E).

- - - Updated - - -

Linus's 270 review explaining the 270:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLQrZseRlew

The title should be "why does the 270x exist for 20 dollars more"
    Thanks for that! I didn't even know this particular GPU existed. That's the perfect mix of price and performance for me, and it's all the much better if I don't need to immediately upgrade my PSU along with it. I just bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by lazymangaka View Post
    Thanks for that! I didn't even know this particular GPU existed. That's the perfect mix of price and performance for me, and it's all the much better if I don't need to immediately upgrade my PSU along with it. I just bought it.
    Nice, ya 270 is a pretty good deal. That asus model is OC'd out of the box too, but you could overclock it higher if you wanted. 1050 is a number im sure most of these cards would hit without much tweaking.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like you just made it, its out of stock now lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Looks like you just made it, its out of stock now lol.
    Yeah, it was already. I went with the MSI model reviewed in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by lazymangaka View Post
    Yeah, it was already. I went with the MSI model reviewed in the video.
    Another solid choice : )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Good luck finding any 7xxx above the 7850. As far as I'm aware, there are nearly none in retail stock. Like.. anywhere. I was going to recommend the 7870 Ghz for $150 but.. OOS.
    LiteCoin is Causing Shortages of AMD Radeon GPUs