Computer Shutdowns Down After Memory Usage

About a year ago my company bought a computer for me to use for work, and it's been having this issue where it will randomly shut down. Sometimes it just straight up freezes and then (usually) goes to a memory dump screen after a minute, sometimes it goes directly to a memory dump screen and other times it just straight restarts without warning.

I am a web programmer so the computer is used for all the type of work you would expect someone in my work to do plus web browsing. This includes using Microsoft Visual Studio (2010 and 2012), SQL Server Management Studio, Aqua Data Studio 7.0 and then doing backups. I leave my computer on every night for it to do backups, then it turns itself off afterwards. Generally my computer is not even on for a total of 12 hours a day with the exception of Friday, Saturday and Sunday where I leave it on through the weekend and it doesn't turn itself off until Sunday night.

I can replicate the issue by:

• Moving a lot of files around - I make backups from the network then copy them off to an external device from my machine, this is sometimes upwards of 40 GB although it's over 8-10 files when I do that and I've learned to only copy one file at a time.
    • Doing a lot of SQL searches or inserts.
    • Using Microsoft Visual Studio for an extended period (usually takes a full day plus minor usage of SQL Server Management Studio). Occasionally I have multiple instances of MSVS open at one time (try to never have more than two open, although I prefer to only ever have one).

The computer was built almost a year ago to the date so it is coming off of the warranty that the store I got it from (CanadaComputers for any Canadians living in Ontario) where they will do maintenance (no parts replacement, just installation and checking the system and such) for free. I have already had them take a look at the machine and they were unable to find anything wrong with the current hardware. This was done back in late May because I came into work one day and the power supply had died and had to have them replace it. I am worried that continued shut downs such as this may cause it me to lose another power supply (not the definite cause of the last one dying) or something else may end up in need of replacement. The technician at CanadaComputers blamed the power supply dying on a power surge and a faulty power supply, which certainly could be the cause, however I am not willing to take the risk.

My co-worker and I believe the issue either lies in faulty RAM or more likely there is an issue with the cache on the hard drive.

If I (or you guys) can exactly determine what the issue is I know my boss would be willing to let us fix the issue ourselves, so I was hoping for some additional opinions as to the issue.

I am willing to provide computer specs upon request if there is a particular reason you wish to see them. Otherwise no saying "this item is no good you should have gone with this one instead". :P

Well you can download the dump reader and it should point the way if you are unsure.

Here is just one example:

http://weblogs.asp.net/owscott/archi...-dmp-file.aspx

Computers are like human beings. Flu can cause fever, cancer can cause fever etc. You can only be sure by following the trial and error method.

The most common reasons for a computer to shutdown/restart are:
    - Memory. Bad memory can cause system restarts but it's very rare to shutdown your computer. You can check your memory with a program like memtest86.
    - Overheating. High temperature can cause restarts, shutdowns and blue screens. Use a program like HWMonitor.
    - PSU. If you have a cheap power supply random restarts/shutdowns will occur very often. Most of the times PSU failure is responsible for the problems you describe but in your case i don't think its that, because you don't play games so your GPU doesn't need extra power from the PSU. Unless you have a very very bad or damages PSU i can't see it failing only from using SQL server. You can use a multimeter to test it but... i wouldn't suggest that if you don't know what you are doing.
    - There are also programs to test your CPU/Motherboard. Google it to find what suits best for you.
    - Do a factory restore to your bios. You might have done something wrong there like increasing the voltage on something you shouldn't.

You should be more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by mmokri View Post
    You should be more specific.
    More specific how? I named how we replicate it, I've named what's been done to the computer, and I said what our best guess is. I've changed nothing hardware wise myself and I've never tried any overclocking or changing of the bios settings.

I doubt it's the power supply since I had it replaced (with a different brand, first was corsair don't remember the current one). It doesn't seem to be overheating when I run it. I've considered it may be the motherboard of CPU, our best guess was just the hard drive since it can always be replicated by doing large file transfers.

I should note that there is an identical computer that my co-worker uses that has zero issues when doing the same work.

I will grab some monitors and check, I was just hoping for another opinion off the top of peoples heads.

Deleted
    Well that dump it creates has the crash code so thats the 1st place to check.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickname View Post
    Doing a lot of SQL searches or inserts.
    We had interesting server that kept hanging for no appearant reason, we thought it was a HDD failing, turned out it was a faulty stick of RAM, so when doing long SQL jobs it would randomly hang. We took out the faulty stick and reduced the memory for SQL.

You failed to mention any PC specs. Perhaps you have insufficient RAM or your RAM is too slow, or your MOBO is trash etc.

Run this simple test to rule out faulty RAM:
    http://hcidesign.com/memtest/
    Last edited by Cyrops; 2013-12-12 at 01:23 PM.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    We had interesting server that kept hanging for no appearant reason, we thought it was a HDD failing, turned out it was a faulty stick of RAM, so when doing long SQL jobs it would randomly hang. We took out the faulty stick and reduced the memory for SQL.

You failed to mention any PC specs. Perhaps you have insufficient RAM or your RAM is too slow, or your MOBO is trash etc.

Run this simple test to rule out faulty RAM:
    http://hcidesign.com/memtest/
    I'm running on 8 GB of DDR3, and my scripts aren't what I would call large. I do calls for anything from 1 result to a couple thousand, but when I do those of a couple thousand it's just me trying to figure out what's in the columns so I can narrow the search. When I had the power supply replaced by the place that built it I asked them to check the RAM and Hard Drive, which they said they did without any issues (everything passed with flying colours were their words)

Motherboard is a ASUS P8H61-M LX PLUS R2.0 (LGA1155). I don't know much about motherboards.

I have been doing some SQL work today and my System Temperature is at 31 Degrees Celsius. CPU Average Temperature is 37 Degrees Celsius.

I have yet to get around to checking the .dmp file, I've been a bit busy lately.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmmm, have you tried running the hci memtest?
    It's weird if your new PSU was faulty, any issues with stable electricity?
    What is your PSU anyway?

Not sure how good computer repair places are where you live, but I around here they are total crap. I had this one PC where a woman got told by a repair company that took money from her the PC was dead. It was only faulty PSU.
    PM me weird stuff :3