Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Pulled over for speeding ( 4MPH over)

So on the way home the other day, I was pulled over for 'sitting' in the left hand lane (fast lane) and for 'speeding'. The Sheriff did say that this was just a warning but also added that 'it was frustrating that you sat in the left lane and didn't merge into the 'slow' lane. Now... there was zero traffic on the freeway when he was behind me, normally most peoples reaction so it get out of their way ASAP, but for some reason I just wanted to see what happened if I didn't. I got my answer... but it got me thinking.

I wanted to be a smart ass and ask him 'If I was speeding, and you wanted me to move over, wouldn't that mean you would be exceeding the speed limit as welll'? But, after paying Uncle Sam, and buying a new phone, and paying rent... I held my tongue and got out of there not having to pay $200+ traffic school fees.

I seriously doubt if he DID give me a ticket that it would of stick or not, probably could of gotten it thrown out, but still... even tho it was just a warning, was he a dick for pulling me over?

Probably just trying to meet his quota. :/

I don't know about California, but in many states, it's illegal to drive in the left lane while not passing. You'll frequently see signs that say things like, "keep right except when passing".

Quote Originally Posted by flam View Post
    I seriously doubt if he DID give me a ticket that it would of stick or not, probably could of gotten it thrown out,
    I have no idea why you believe this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    Probably just trying to meet his quota. :/
    Yeah, gotta hit that quota for warnings

No, you were being the dick.

If he was trying to meet his quota he would have issued a citation... Anyway, it's illegal to stay in the left lane in most places. It's also a myth that you can legally drive somewhere between 5-10 mph over the posted speed limit. You're lucky you got a warning and there is no reason that ticket would get thrown out in court.

Well, if he was trying to meet his quota, it probably wouldn't have just been a warning.

In any case, as a general rule, I always go by the theory that unless I'm getting off a left side exit or passing someone, the left most lane isn't where you hang out in. It might not necessarily be a legal thing depending on the state, but it certainly is a polite thing.

Moral of the story: You weren't going fast enough over the speed limit to give a ticket that wouldn't have been thrown out in court, but theres no excuse to drive poorly just to see what will happen.

As for why it would be thrown out: If you're going less than 5 mph over, you can in theory argue the precision of the method being used to test the speed. Its wiggle room enough that in most cases you'll be okay. Generally.

There's no such thing as a "fast" lane and a "slow" lane. You keep to the right (in the US) unless you're approaching a slower vehicle, at which point you can move into the next lane to overtake them.

I seriously doubt if he DID give me a ticket that it would of stick or not, probably could of gotten it thrown out, but still... even tho it was just a warning, was he a dick for pulling me over?
    no. he was doing his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I'm not sure why your first reaction is to be a smart and dumbass, but that's not going to help you.
    Yeah, it's pretty expensive and potentially dangerous way to get some smarmy self satisfaction.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by torment3d View Post
    If he was trying to meet his quota he would have issued a citation... Anyway, it's illegal to stay in the left lane in most places. It's also a myth that you can legally drive somewhere between 5-10 mph over the posted speed limit. You're lucky you got a warning and there is no reason that ticket would get thrown out in court.
    If I show up to contest, and he does not, it's automatically thrown out. Either way... giving someone a ticket for going over 4MPH over is just retarded. To clarify, I showed nothing but respect to the officer and even pulled OFF the freeway for his safety. (seen one too many near misses of officers being mowed down on the net)

If I show up to contest, and he does not, it's automatically thrown out.
    I don't know about your locale, but where I'm from, cops generally don't mind coming into court, as it often winds up being overtime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Victim of quota.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

He just wanted to give you a warning you were less likely to forget, that's all.

I think we should be reminded of this

Deleted
    If I show up to contest, and he does not, it's automatically thrown out. Either way... giving someone a ticket for going over 4MPH over is just retarded. To clarify, I showed nothing but respect to the officer and even pulled OFF the freeway for his safety. (seen one too many near misses of officers being mowed down on the net)
    4mph over is assuredly over the speed limit. Why is that apparently had for your to understand?

You're stupid for going over the speed limit to start with.
    He is doing his job to warn/ fine you for breaking the law.

4 mph or 50 mph, doesn't matter, it's above the limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    I think we should be reminded of this

Good idea... tailgate them...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Yeah, those warning quotas.
    Also in most states ticket quotas are illegal anyway. Even if they were allowed to have quotas, they would never meet them if people followed the laws

I never understood what is so hard for people to comprehend about staying out of the passing lane unless you are passing.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DPA View Post
    You're stupid for going over the speed limit to start with.
    He is doing his job to warn/ fine you for breaking the law.

4 mph or 50 mph, doesn't matter, it's above the limit.
    Massive difference between 4 and 50 ... I have never heard of someone being ticketed for 4 MPH over, ever. In fact, I've been told by California Highway Patrol that they generally let people slide under 10. CHP, not a Sheriff.