Question Thermal Compound Question

Is there any suggested type of thermal compound to get? I'm going to be assembling an Intel Core i5-4670 in a MSI B85-G41 PC Mate motherboard. I was looking at Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835100007 First using Arctic Silver Arcticlean Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier ACN-60ML (2-PC-SET) - OEM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835100010 to remove the stock grease.

Deleted
    You can just use the stock thermal that came with the heat sink. There's no need for better paste on a locked CPU.

Deleted
    Its all a load of bullshit You dont need to clean the surfaces from new parts, just beware of fingering the places where paste comes.

You can clean off the thermal compound (if you are replacing it) with acetone (nail polish remover) or a high % rubbing alcohol. You use it on a q-tip or a coffee filter.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

I always thought I was better off replacing the "default" thermal compound. If it's not necessary, I'm good with that :-)

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortalomena View Post
    Its all a load of bullshit You dont need to clean the surfaces from new parts, just beware of fingering the places where paste comes.
    You don't have to but it probably minimizes the benefit of using higher-quality thermal paste since the old stuff is still occupying the micro-pits within the heatsink's plate and can hinder thermal dissipation. I would think so, anyway.

On topic, the default paste will meet your needs providing you don't plan on overclocking the processor to the point where heat will become an issue. Since it's a locked processor, Trungalung is right to say the stock paste will be fine.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.