Thread: WotLK Hunter

Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    WotLK Hunter

    Hello my apologies of this is the incorrect forum to post this I just wasnt sure where else to ask. I raided and played a lot in WotLK and my main was a marks hunter. Lately I miss playing hunter the way it used to be I barely touch my hunter any more and mostly play my warrior now. But I was wondering if there are any class/spec that play like how hunter used to

    Sorry for the formatting I'm on my phone

  2. #2
    What you mean like...using certain spells on cooldown and spamming others in the meantime?

    Warlocks or mages.

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Brawl Pub
    Posts
    4,204
    Hunter is totally different now, with the removal of mana. You have to rotationally replenish your focus not by switching to a new aspect, but by actually using cast time shots like Steady Shot/Cobra Shot.

  4. #4
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Posts
    2,343
    i abandoned my hunter after playing him as main since tbc and rolled a warlock somewhere around terrace of endless springs release , never looked back.

  5. #5
    People actually liked Aspect of the Viper?

  6. #6
    The Lightbringer SL1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois.
    Posts
    3,338
    I liked mana better too, but when you get used to it, focus isn't too bad. Just give it a chance you'll get used to it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Sock View Post
    People actually liked Aspect of the Viper?
    Rarely had to use it. We had talent to steal mana from casting npcs. I only switched during high movement phases and phase transitions. Mana was a way better resource.

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Brawl Pub
    Posts
    4,204
    Mana was (and continues to be for most other caster DPS barring arcane mages) a useless resource, as you're never in fear of losing it, and you never have to manage it.

    If you don't have to do those things, what's its point as a resource? While you may think it's "better" in that you didn't have to worry about it, it was worse from a design perspective.

  8. #8
    IMO Hunters should never have had mana, made no sense. I'd be happy if they renamed Arcane Shot too...

    I find Hunters more fun now, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Mana was (and continues to be for most other caster DPS barring arcane mages) a useless resource, as you're never in fear of losing it, and you never have to manage it.

    If you don't have to do those things, what's its point as a resource? While you may think it's "better" in that you didn't have to worry about it, it was worse from a design perspective.
    Mana became a useless resource in Cata, their was plenty of management in Vanilla through Wrath.


    Hunters went to shit with focus.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    IMO Hunters should never have had mana, made no sense. I'd be happy if they renamed Arcane Shot too...

    I find Hunters more fun now, personally.
    I will agree with this. Focus works great now. Using steady is only very rarely used purely for focus regen as you need it to refresh time on sting. I will however say I miss the little tool kit we had, chance of 4 sec snare on ice trap, ability to disarm (MM only) but ofc losing the minimum range more than makes up for that. Sure if you want to play a class that dominates DPS meters, then don't play hunter but a decent hunter will give anyone else a good run on damage....more than enough to ensure a raid spot

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock View Post
    People actually liked Aspect of the Viper?
    In a sense, yes. What I loved about the Viper/Hawk decision was that it was a "meta game" decision. You knew you had to have a down time and had to plan for it in the fight.

    Hunters now are all about micro game decisions, which I'm not a fan of.

    I've leveled my (formerly main) hunter to max level in Cata and now MoP, but he just then sits there after I do the first level of "raid ready" gear.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Mana was (and continues to be for most other caster DPS barring arcane mages) a useless resource, as you're never in fear of losing it, and you never have to manage it.

    If you don't have to do those things, what's its point as a resource? While you may think it's "better" in that you didn't have to worry about it, it was worse from a design perspective.
    Mana did matter to hunters though, and that's part of what was attractive about it.
    "I don't always play my warlock, but when I do, I prefer destruction."
    - The Most Interesting Player in the World . . . of Warcraft

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by jason1975 View Post
    Mana did matter to hunters though, and that's part of what was attractive about it.
    Yea, keeping up that Viper Sting was a fun mechanic. Same goes for doing half damage when you were low on mana.

    I will never understand why people have an issue with focus. Other than the current Marksmanship model where focus comes and goes in big chunks it's one of the more interesting resources. You are constantly generating and spending it and dealing with the resource.
    Bovan.9481
    Completed legendaries: Twilight, Sunrise, (Eternity), Incinerator, Bolt, Quip, Frostfang, The Moot, The Juggernaut, Howler.
    Current projects: Predator and Aether.

  13. #13
    I have tried the current focus style for awhile. I want to like it since my hunter was always my main and I have a lot of good memories but it just doesn't play the way I liked so much from pre-cata. But I have a level 82 shaman I haven't touched how is ele compared to old hunter?

  14. #14
    The Lightbringer SL1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois.
    Posts
    3,338
    If it was a talent choice. I'd pick mana hunter in a heartbeat.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by jason1975 View Post
    What I loved about the Viper/Hawk decision was that it was a "meta game" decision. You knew you had to have a down time and had to plan for it in the fight.
    Unfortunately, how much you had to switch to Viper in boss fights depended on whether or not you had a Pally in your raid judging Wisdom. Usually a second Pally if the first one judged Light. Playing the meta-game could've been fun. Being dependent on Paladins was not fun.

    Anyway OP, the closest thing to that style now is Enhance Shaman. It's one of the few specs that is based on keeping track of multiple short CDs. Rets do too, but they have HoPo to build and spend too.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by jason1975 View Post
    Mana did matter to hunters though, and that's part of what was attractive about it.
    If by "matter" you mean yelling at your paladins to judge wisdom and chain-chugging Fel Mana Potions, sure!

    Mana was completely ignored in all of BC and WotLK. The only possible way to run oom was raiding without a paladin.

  17. #17
    Brewmaster AutomaticBadger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,421
    Well to be honest if I could reduce Hunters down to a priority based proc driven rotation like I remember then yes. I hate rations and having to worry about a resource. In most cases it can detract from getting the most out and frustrating to live with at lower gear levels. With everything being proc and priority driven it feels more fluid to me. Hell if I could just get the Frost DK rotations and somehow tweak it to work as a SV or MM ration then I would drop every other character I have so fast.
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

  18. #18
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Brawl Pub
    Posts
    4,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Moddii View Post
    I have tried the current focus style for awhile. I want to like it since my hunter was always my main and I have a lot of good memories but it just doesn't play the way I liked so much from pre-cata. But I have a level 82 shaman I haven't touched how is ele compared to old hunter?
    I don't think you could run out of mana on an ele shaman unless you healed for 2 minutes straight. Mana is pointless as a resource for ele shamans.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by AutomaticBadger View Post
    Well to be honest if I could reduce Hunters down to a priority based proc driven rotation like I remember then yes. I hate rations and having to worry about a resource. In most cases it can detract from getting the most out and frustrating to live with at lower gear levels. With everything being proc and priority driven it feels more fluid to me. Hell if I could just get the Frost DK rotations and somehow tweak it to work as a SV or MM ration then I would drop every other character I have so fast.
    Yea that's how I remember it. It was more of a priority then an actual rotation. That's why I started to like my fury warrior better then my hunter lately. Is frost DK close to old hunter? or would different casters being closer like mage, warlock or elemental?

  20. #20
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Brawl Pub
    Posts
    4,204
    DKs in general are one of the most resource-locked classes in the game. Warlocks all have some sort of alternate resource, same with spriests and boomkins, same could be said for arcane mages.

    What that leaves:

    Fire mage: keep a bomb up, fireball, pyro when it procs....one major CD (Combustion) plus a mage-wide CD (Alter Time).
    Frost mage: Keep a bomb up, frostbolt, ice lance on Fingers procs, 1m frozen orb CD, 2m (?) icy veins CD. Potential for huge damage on add fights, where adds can be frozen and thus deeped/bombed.

    Ele shaman: No resource concerns at all. Maintain one DoT, use a 15s CD to buff that DoT, which resets your main CD nuke (lava burst), otherwise spam lightning. Mindless spec, imo. If you ever drop below 90% mana you could probably use thunderstorm to regen it, but that never happens.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •