Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    To this day I can't understand how anyone can stand to play an FPS on a console controller. So awkward.

Since FPS is so big on consoles why haven't any of them made a reasonable FPS controller standard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Kids tend to believe that you have to pick a side. Adults recognize every platform is enjoyable.

PC Gaming is over 30 years old, and going strong. It's never going away, not in our lifetimes anyway.

The closest I can think that anyone who plays predominantly on the PC has ever come to expressing a feeling of being "threatened" by consoles, was the short time when development studios seemed to really shift away from the PC market for one reason and one reason only: It's about 5000% easier to make games for a single hardware standard (consoles) than for a hodgepodge market (PC.) However, that exodus seems to have slowed/stopped, so it's back to old jokes about "PC gaming master race" and "filthy console peasants."

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Deleted
    Maybe if consoles shipped with a keyboard and a mouse, and a Windows-like OS, things would be different. Until then, though, PCs aren't going anywhere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Maybe if consoles shipped with a keyboard and a mouse, and a Windows-like OS, things would be different. Until then, though, PCs aren't going anywhere.
    And you should be able to replace single parts when they are damaged instead of throwing the whole thing away.
    I reuse my PC case for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    And there's no one to blame for the condition of 3, despite how good 1 and 2 were, except for consolization.
    It had less depth you couldn't skip the skill spending process (very small skillset overall) the party controls felt clunky the gear system was too linear The special bar felt not optinonal but mandatory while not being ready all of the time.

I would play 2 again rather than touching 3.
    Last edited by mmocd79acbf389; 2013-12-13 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    To this day I can't understand how anyone can stand to play an FPS on a console controller. So awkward.

Since FPS is so big on consoles why haven't any of them made a reasonable FPS controller standard?
    I feel so awkward playing a FPS on a controller. Keyboard and mouse just feels so much more natural, in terms of looking, moving, and aiming. Since you have way more control.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylamoo View Post
    This insecurity is absurd, i don't think anyone ever believes that consoles are superior. Sick of seeing these stupid posts from pc companies about consoles being inferior. We all know already just stfu. I personally bought both consoles to do different things, maybe some people enjoy the charms of a console, maybe they just want to play specific titles only consoles get. That does not mean anyone who buys a console feels it's superior. I am an avid pc gamer and will never believe a console is better.
    PC gamers aren't threatened by consoles. PC gamers don't want developers to take shortcuts and make shitty ports because they develop for consoles and don't care about PC, which is the superior platform. /thread

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Booshman View Post
    I feel so awkward playing a FPS on a controller. Keyboard and mouse just feels so much more natural, in terms of looking, moving, and aiming. Since you have way more control.
    Funnily enough, I was a console gamer for years before I got into PC gaming and I'm the opposite. I'm really bad with keyboard/mouse because I spent how many years using analog sticks :P
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    $6 for a game made in 1993? If it was free then maybe I would buy it instead of pirating it.

Quote Originally Posted by Booshman View Post
    Hell, my PS4 and my XboxOne are starting to collect dust.
    Mine as well but that's not really astonishing considering there are no titles at all available. I still ask myself why the fuck people were buying them for 600+ from ebay.
    Honestly I somewhat do not see the purpose of the steambox considering it's just a pc with a probably shitty os.

the game i play most is WoW. i don't like paying $30-60 for a game that only lasts a few dozen hours.

why would i care about consoles?

Deleted
    Then there's obviously the thriving ware scene, through which millions upon millions of gamers get their games for the PC. On consoles, this doesn't happen, unless you burn shit on discs, and nobody does that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    The closest I can think that anyone who plays predominantly on the PC has ever come to expressing a feeling of being "threatened" by consoles, was the short time when development studios seemed to really shift away from the PC market for one reason and one reason only: It's about 5000% easier to make games for a single hardware standard (consoles) than for a hodgepodge market (PC.)
    Only it's not because unless you want to really restrict your market you have to program for multiple consoles and probably PC as well. Plus in a way PC is easier because it's well-trodden ground whereas each console release is a whole new platform to design for.

I believe the real reason a lot of studios turned their attention to consoles is simply that it was a big and growing market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    It had less depth you couldn't skip the skill spending process (very small skillset overall) the party controls felt clunky the gear system was too linear The special bar felt not optinonal but mandatory while not being ready all of the time.

I would play 2 again rather than touching 3.
    Simplification is a result of consolization.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekay View Post
    PC gamers aren't threatened by consoles. PC gamers don't want developers to take shortcuts and make shitty ports because they develop for consoles and don't care about PC, which is the superior platform. /thread

- - - Updated - - -

Funnily enough, I was a console gamer for years before I got into PC gaming and I'm the opposite. I'm really bad with keyboard/mouse because I spent how many years using analog sticks :P
    Yeah, I grew up playing FPS like Doom, Marathon, and Quake. So I got used to keyboards. Then when Duke Nukem and Unreal Tourney came out, and you could use a mouse to look, I was never able to go back to Goldeneye 64 and (later on) SOCOM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Then there's obviously the thriving ware scene, through which millions upon millions of gamers get their games for the PC. On consoles, this doesn't happen, unless you burn shit on discs, and nobody does that anymore.
    No for the sake of this thread we pretend that is not an advantage bäd Sydänyö

Simplification is a result of consolization.
    I know

To me, consoles are good for:
    1) Platformers (like Mario)
    2) Adventure (like Zelda)
    3) JRPG (like Final Fantasy)
    4) Sports/Racing.
    5) Fighting

I don't know why FPS seems to be the most popular console game type, because FPS is the one type that I find absolutely better in all cases on PC. RTS wins on PC. MMO wins on PC.

Honestly, they should just let the PC have those 3 markets. I can deal with the rest being console and occasionally ported to PC. But FPS, RTS, and MMO should always be PC focused.

PC gamers aren't so much threatened as much as they are annoyed. You have the ultimate gaming console, which 5 years ago was better than the ps4 or the xbox one, and you hear about games that are exclusive to the consoles.

I don't know why FPS seems to be the most popular console game type, because FPS is the one type that I find absolutely better in all cases on PC.
    It's quick and easy to pick up!
    Just hop in, aim, and squeeze the trigger.
    Sort of like LoL. They both are really simple to figure out, but both tend to also allow room for skill as well.
    Now just imagine how much LoL would blow up on the console.
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-12-13 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    It's quick and easy to pick up!
    Just hop in, aim, and squeeze the trigger.
    Sort of like LoL. They both are really simple to figure out, but both tend to also allow room for skill as well.
    Now just imagine how much LoL would blow up on the console.
    I'm absolutely horrible at console FPS (but I haven't really played many since Goldeneye for N64). I don't know how anybody can aim with such an imprecise tool.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only reason I dislike the console market is because most developers seem to focus on those instead of the PC, meaning we get inferior ports, games that don't look as good as they could, and, oh, sometimes we don't even get the games because they're console exclusive (I'm looking at you, Red Dead Redemption!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Only it's not because unless you want to really restrict your market you have to program for multiple consoles and probably PC as well. Plus in a way PC is easier because it's well-trodden ground whereas each console release is a whole new platform to design for.

I believe the real reason a lot of studios turned their attention to consoles is simply that it was a big and growing market.
    Two to three consoles to worry about compatibility (meaning 3 hardware architectures) is still far easier than the infinite combination of hardware architectures in the PC market. It's easier to ensure compatibility on the consoles than on the PC, that's just fact.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.