SSD "Laptop" and "Desktop" - Is there a difference?

So I'm looking at SSDs and I've noticed some specify they're for laptops while others specify that they're for desktops, yet both have the same specs and physical size. Is there really a difference between either?

I'm asking because the one I'm looking at is sold by Best Buy for the same price Tiger Direct is selling it for (shocker!), but only for the "Laptop" version. The Desktop version is being sold for substantially more than Tiger Direct's price.

Would I really need to get that Desktop version?
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    So I'm looking at SSDs and I've noticed some specify they're for laptops while others specify that they're for desktops, yet both have the same specs and physical size. Is there really a difference between either?

I'm asking because the one I'm looking at is sold by Best Buy for the same price Tiger Direct is selling it for (shocker!), but only for the "Laptop" version. The Desktop version is being sold for substantially more than Tiger Direct's price.

Would I really need to get that Desktop version?
    Desktop version comes with extra mounting brackets on the assumption your case does not include SSD mounting brackets.

No there isn't any difference except it eventually comes with a kit that allows you to clone your old hard drive to your ssd. If you don't want to reinstall Windows just get the laptop one with a kit.

Make sure of the size of the storage bay in the laptop. There are 7mm enclosures and 9 mm enclosures.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Make sure of the size of the storage bay in the laptop. There are 7mm enclosures and 9 mm enclosures.
    I think he's going to use it for his desktop :P