Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Okay. Serious question now.

Why the fuck do we have handicap spots on recreational trails? I mean, I get it, I know handicapped people can't walk sometimes. But why do we have spots where the sole purpose is moving around outside? Does the extra 10 to 30 feet on a trail 110mi long kill you when you want to work out?
    Why do drive up ATMs have braille? I think it was more to do with regulations, and since when do those make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Amsden View Post
    Why do drive up ATMs have braille? I think it was more to do with regulations, and since when do those make sense?
    Only one reason for that. It would be more costly to make special buttons for drive through ATMs than to just make them all with braille. You needed to make the braille mold anyway so the difference in pouring plastic into a braille or a non braille mold would not be significant.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pulling their children away? That is so fucking infuriating..

I have "looked" at disabled people I guess, but mostly the same way I would look at anyone, just a pass-by look. I can't say I understand how you all feel, but I do see some technical difficulties with making everything disabled-people-friendly. I know it might sound ridiculously selfish but it's the way it is :/

People's attitude though, I'm pretty sure most in this forum would agree against discrimination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amsden View Post
    Why do drive up ATMs have braille?
    Because it's the exact same machine as the walk up ones.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Especially after the paralympics?

Personally as a disabled person I say no. I still receive funny looks, get parents pulling their child away, comments, lack of access in buildings such as bars, clubs, shops, etc. Public transportation is still an issue too
    Of course you do. You're weird to many. Sorry to say it, I don't intent to insult you in any way, but you're an example of a living nightmare to many. I can't even stand thinking about paralympics because their fates seem so horrible to me. I don't look at people like that cuz it might make them feel weird, I just ignore them and pretend I don't see them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Senathor View Post
    Of course you do. You're weird to many. Sorry to say it, I don't intent to insult you in any way, but you're an example of a living nightmare to many. I can't even stand thinking about paralympics because their fates seem so horrible to me. I don't look at people like that cuz it might make them feel weird, I just ignore them and pretend I don't see them.
    Tactfully said

Deleted
    If you didn't hear the parent and the child, the mom might've just pulled him over after he made some remark about the disability. Happens a lot. But in general of course attitudes have changed, compare to 100 years ago and it's like night and day.
    Having said that, I'm sick of douchebags that come in all sizes and shapes, who decide to sit on the disabled seat on the tram, and not make room for me or any other who actually need the seat. Makes me want to cane them every time.

I think they are worse because of people being sued for non compliance of ada. You cant build anything or even do addons to places without having to make it ada compliant. Its a huge hassle and the disabled lobby is pretty sue happy about it.

I have seen a home in benicia that added a 2nd floor and they actually had to install an elevator to meet code.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    I think they are worse because of people being sued for non compliance of ada. You cant build anything or even do addons to places without having to make it ada compliant. Its a huge hassle and the disabled lobby is pretty sue happy about it.

I have seen a home in benicia that added a 2nd floor and they actually had to install an elevator to meet code.
    Because that's law..... It's like complaining that meeting safety regulations is a hassle and people are quick to sue

I see parents pull their children, but not out of disgust, it usually out of consideration. Making sure their children are not in the way is an acknowledgement of your condition. Are they smiling? What are their facial expressions? Did they make any remarks?

There is too much the OP left unanswered for that to be demonized and have any relevancy twards attitudes about the disabled.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    I see parents pull their children, but not out of disgust, it usually out of consideration. Making sure their children are not in the way is an acknowledgement of your condition. Are they smiling? What are their facial expressions? Did they make any remarks?

There is too much the OP left unanswered for that to be demonized and have any relevancy twards attitudes about the disabled.
    already explained.... twice

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    Give us back our parking spaces and we will treat you a lot better. Why we would give the best parking spaces to the least productive members of society is beyond me.
    Assuming that those who are disabled are the least productive members of society is ridiculous. I am disabled and at my schools 10 year reunion when we shared stories of our current jobs, it turns out I get paid for my job more than 4 times the amount of the person who earns the second most. Least productive? Bollocks. Many of the most important advances we've made in the last 100 years are thanks to somebody who is disabled.
    Last edited by mmoc3ece278ef7; 2013-12-15 at 06:13 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishau View Post
    Assuming that those who are disabled are the least productive members of society is ridiculous. I am disabled and at my schools 10 year reunion when we shared stories of our current jobs, it turns out I get paid for my job more than 4 times the amount of the person who earns the second most. Least productive? Bollocks. Many of the most important advances we've made in the last 100 years are thanks to somebody who is disabled.
    Yeah but WE TOOK HIS CAR PARK SPACE

This sums it up nicely

So out on my morning run earlier I came upon a man in a wheelchair with his dog. He and the dog were both going like hell. Guess it was his early morning exercise. And you know what? I didn't give a shit. I didn't think "oh shit a disabled person, better keep my distance" or "hey that's really cool, a disabled person overcoming a tragic disability and exercising." I simply didn't care; he was just another human being out first thing in the morning exercising.

It doesn't matter if you have two legs, none, or if you think you're a mother-fucking dragon. You are a human being. You deserve to be treated as such. Now to be honest I really dislike people that take advantage or their disability and play it to the max. When a disabled person starts spouting off about how special they are and how they deserve special treatment and that they have a god given right to be a douch bag. Mind you I detest anyone that "plays a card" like that. At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you're white, black, pink, gay, straight, disabled, healthy. We are all human beings and we all deserve to be treated equally. Equality is about everyone being treated the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im pretty indifferent toward everyone disabled or not. If Im walking into a store and there is a guy behind me that can walk normally ill open the door for him just like how ill open the door for the guy in crutches because whatever he has affected his legs. Its called having some decency. The only thing I dont like is when someone with a disability tries to use it to take advantage of other peoples decency.
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope so. People with disabilities are still grossly misunderstood and demonized.

http://reason.com/reasontv/2013/11/1...lness-and-guns
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.