Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Why are people using antiquated playstyles in LFR.

So, I've noticed a problem with my fellow healers in LFR as of late.

It seems to me like these people are stuck in the era of TBC healing where every point of mana counts. In the past few LFR groups that I've had the (dis)pleasure of healing, there are one to two healers (Including myself) that actually seem to be healing, while the others simply aren't.

Now, I know I sound crazy for expecting people to pull their weight in LFR, but that's actually not what's bothering me. The main thing that I take issue with, is their justification for pulling Low HPS, and sitting on a full mana pool.

Even while the group is falling apart, and people are dying left and right, these healers are sitting there with full mana, simply not healing, and when confronted about it, they claim that "They don't want to overheal" or "Overhealing is bad".

Now, I won't even get into the fact that the raid is rarely sitting at full health, or that the majority of the heals in the group are letting others carry them. What I want to know, is why are they stuck in the PreBC/BC mindset of healing? Where every point of mana must be put to good use. The game has moved away from that play style, and quite frankly, these people should be at low mana by the end of the fight. Or even, why is the reluctance to overheal, considered a justification for not healing, when the group obviously needs healed?

It has become increasingly more difficult to heal even LFR when you are the only, or one of the only (If you're lucky.) healers that actually understands how to heal.

TL;DR: Why are people using antiquated playstyles in LFR.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Being bad isn't an antiquated healing style, it's always been in style.

Deleted
    Try to explain to them that they are wrong using good and fair arguments in a respectful language. Then carry on to explain what they can change in their play style and how. Also if they are the same class as you give them some tips.

Likely because they're new, read guides that told them not to overheal, and don't yet know the balance between being efficient and being thorough. A lot of people worry about their mana pools until they see they don't really need to, healers and casters alike. They'll figure it out as they get more experience, so don't get too judgmental. That's what raid finder is for, after all.

Most lfrs are just gross amount of overheating. Don't judge your performance on meters. Honestly if you just sit back and keep people alive(not topped off), you can sit at full mana, limit overheating and watch netflix during boss fights.

If every healer spammed till oom every fight it'd just be ridiculous and a waste of effort. Best thing is slow your own heals and let them pick it up. I do this on my pally, he is shit geared around 546ilvl and I can open up and blow my mana and decimate meters but it's a waste. Most I do now is not work to keep people topped off but rather keep everyone 90%+. With that Ilvl I usually stay over 70% mana through every fight.

My less geared Druid does crap healing in LFR - I'm either at full mana because there's nothing to heal, or I'm completely out of mana because there's waaaaay too much for me to heal. There's no real middle ground. My haste is so low, I won't get off a heal before someone else snipes it unless the player who's taken damage has lost half their health. My HoT ticks won't get much use, either.

If you are getting pissed that other healers are at full mana while you're sitting at empty at the end of an LFR boss fight, you might consider that if you conserved more of your mana, they'd see lower health bars and actually get to put their mana to use.

Consider changing your own play style, and you may actually see other healers using their mana.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a large grey area between being inefficient / suboptimal and not pulling one's weight. There are lots of people in LFR who don't play "correctly" and probably don't put out high numbers, but that's fine because that's the content designed for them. People need to stop going into LFR expecting people to perform like its normal mode or better. You should just be happy they're healing at all and not afk freeloaders.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Crete View Post
    Now, I won't even get into the fact that the raid is rarely sitting at full health, or that the majority of the heals in the group are letting others carry them. What I want to know, is why are they stuck in the PreBC/BC mindset of healing? Where every point of mana must be put to good use. The game has moved away from that play style, and quite frankly, these people should be at low mana by the end of the fight. Or even, why is the reluctance to overheal, considered a justification for not healing, when the group obviously needs healed?
    TBC? I think you mean early Cataclysm.

Over healing doesn't matter - even more so for classes that rely more heavily on HoTs. The only time you should ever be looking at over healing is why people are dying and healers are out of mana. If a healer is properly geared and using their spells correctly, over healing will clue you in to someone who is spamming and healing at improper times (usually to help pad the meters). Other than that, it's really a useless number and doesn't indicate anything.

Most likely what you have is either lazy people using an excuse or people who don't know how to play their class. Also, it's LFR. Most of the time I only see myself and 2 other healers doing their jobs while we carry the other 3 healers. Sometimes it's simply a gearing issue. Most of the time they see others getting the job done so they just sit back and let us do the work. If it's that bad, it's better to just leave and try again, or go do your raids at Flex or Normal difficulty.

Created by Sokogeka

10+ Year Old Account
    It may depend on gear and their spirit levels. I know when I'm healing older LFRs I hardly drop below 80%, but I always OOM in Siege. Numbers get bigger and there's not as much of a need to heal, especially when the damage in the old LFRs are so low to both geared and undergeared tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    Being bad isn't an antiquated healing style, it's always been in style.
    I don't like the stigma that comes with the word "bad", but this is pretty much exactly right. Bad means (1) they aren't using their cds, or aren't using them at the best moments; (2) they aren't using their AoE healing at the right moments, and either underhealing or going oom too fast; (3) their UI sucks and they can't heal fast enough to get heals before someone with a good UI does; and (4) they aren't trying at all.

If someone was a good healer but performed antiquated playstyles, they would do more healing than the sub 30k healers you encounter. They aren't the problem.

Wtf are you talking about? There was never a time back then, 'til even now, where not healing and letting people die was considered "optimal".
    Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    I don't like the stigma that comes with the word "bad", but this is pretty much exactly right. Bad means (1) they aren't using their cds, or aren't using them at the best moments; (2) they aren't using their AoE healing at the right moments, and either underhealing or going oom too fast; (3) their UI sucks and they can't heal fast enough to get heals before someone with a good UI does; and (4) they aren't trying at all.

If someone was a good healer but performed antiquated playstyles, they would do more healing than the sub 30k healers you encounter. They aren't the problem.
    I've not raided with the stock UI in... ~ages, but I'm pretty sure it has a raid UI. There's no excuse on the UI front.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumicide View Post
    Wtf are you talking about? There was never a time back then, 'til even now, where not healing and letting people die was considered "optimal".

I've not raided with the stock UI in... ~ages, but I'm pretty sure it has a raid UI. There's no excuse on the UI front.
    There was. When given the choice between a tank dying and a dps dying, the tank gets priority, especially in Vanilla.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    There was. When given the choice between a tank dying and a dps dying, the tank gets priority, especially in Vanilla.
    Are you stupid? That's a basically true statement in the context of WoW in any expansion -- that you keep what ever gets you the fight done alive as priority '1', but it's not optimal to be letting people die when you have full mana (which is what the OP is complaining about)

This post was infracted for flaming.
    Last edited by Rivellana; 2013-12-13 at 01:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    Wrathbabies dont know about the dark times; when mana was the boss enrage timer.
    Back then if your dps was shit, healers had to make the choice, let them die, and save that crucial bit of mana to heal the tank, or waste it on the dps.

Blizz changed it because this style essentially puts twice the pressure on the healers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumicide View Post
    I'm pretty sure that wasn't the implication.
    I'm pretty sure the implication of that statement is these people adhere to the (unnecessary in LFR) mentality of "Conserving Mana" but can't even get that right. It is LFR after all, don't expect these people to make intelligent arguments as to why they're bad at this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even while the group is falling apart, and people are dying left and right, these healers are sitting there with full mana, simply not healing, and when confronted about it, they claim that "They don't want to overheal" or "Overhealing is bad".
    They're not stuck in anything. They're trolling you. They have no intention of healing anyone.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

A)Meters in LFR mean nothing
    B)Who actually tries in LFR?
    C)On my heals I usually end up dpsing cause my heals isn't needed
    D)Who cares its LFR

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginantonicus View Post
    A)Meters in LFR mean nothing
    B)Who actually tries in LFR?
    C)On my heals I usually end up dpsing cause my heals isn't needed
    D)Who cares its LFR
    This kind of mentality is probably why a good deal of people hate LFR.

So, I've noticed a problem with my fellow healers in LFR as of late.

It seems to me like these people are stuck in the era of TBC healing where every point of mana counts. In the past few LFR groups that I've had the (dis)pleasure of healing, there are one to two healers (Including myself) that actually seem to be healing, while the others simply aren't.

Now, I know I sound crazy for expecting people to pull their weight in LFR, but that's actually not what's bothering me. The main thing that I take issue with, is their justification for pulling Low HPS, and sitting on a full mana pool.

It has become increasingly more difficult to heal even LFR when you are the only, or one of the only (If you're lucky.) healers that actually understands how to heal.

TL;DR: Why are people using antiquated playstyles in LFR.
    Well i cant answer you.

As the only times i've heard people bitch about healers is when heals where not the problem, or when we are doing trash and everyone is at full health and the bitchers are having such an easy time of it that they have time to look at meters and see that the people who have nothing to heal aren't healing.