Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Differences Between a President, a Prime Minister, a Dictator and a King?

What do you think are the main differences?

From what I can tell a President can be elected from a very small pool of carefully chosen and rich individuals. A Prime Minister is chosen by the Monarchs however he can be replaced if he doesn't do his job right. A Dictator can only be overthrown through a revolution or assassination and a King is just a glorified Dictator that supposedly has no power but still reigns without needing to govern, he gets other people do that for him instead.

Is that pretty much it?
    Last edited by crzyman007; 2013-12-16 at 08:25 PM.

Deleted
    The difference lies in the governmental system. What you are describing is what you might consider to be the most powerfull position in a variety of governmental system. President are generally the head of states of republics, prime minister generally in constitutional monarchies, King is generally the head of some form of monarchy (but not always, see constitutional monarchies), and Dictators are generally head of states without having been voted into office in a democratic fasion. Generally.

Prime Minister in the UK and Canadian systems at least, possibly others, is simply the leader of whichever party is leading the government at that time. They're not chosen by Monarchs. Perhaps sworn in by them, but the parties elect their leaders.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Then you also have Premiers who can be more powerful than the President, like in Italy where the President is just a guy doing nothing, and the Premier is the man of power.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudefella View Post
    The difference lies in the governmental system. What you are describing is what you might consider to be the most powerfull position in a variety of governmental system. President are generally the head of states of republics, prime minister generally in constitutional monarchies, King is generally the head of some form of monarchy (but not always, see constitutional monarchies), and Dictators are generally head of states without having been voted into office in a democratic fasion. Generally.
    Kings either inherit their position or conquer it. They aren't voted into power so doesn't that also make them dictators by definition? They are just smarter about it and get other people to do their dirty work and take the blame for them. Call it Prime Minister or President, it doesn't really matter aren't they just difference names masking the truth that their just slaves to their dictators aka Kings?
    Last edited by crzyman007; 2013-12-16 at 08:16 PM.

Deleted
    You're very incorrect. To use my own country (Sweden) as an example, our prime minister is selected by the popular-elected parliament. The prime minister then forms his cabinet pretty much freely. Our king however, has no political responsibilities nor possibilities, he only has ceremonial duties. Our monarchy could be abolished tomorrow, and nothing would change at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crzyman007 View Post
    Kings either inherit their position or conquer it. They aren't voted into power so doesn't that also make them dictators by definition? They are just smarter about it and get other people to do their dirty work and take the blame for them. Call it Prime Minister or President aren't they just slaves to their dictators aka Kings & Royals?
    No, constitutional monarchs aren't dictators - Charles I tried that, didn't end too well for him.

Deleted
    Kings either inherit their position or conquer it. They aren't voted into power so doesn't that also make them dictators by definition? They are just smarter about it and get other people to do their dirty work and take the blame for them. Call it Prime Minister or President, it doesn't really matter aren't they just difference names masking the truth that their just slaves to their dictators aka Kings?
    Well the King of sweden has 0 power, it's just an empty inherited title nowadays. It's our prime minister who's a face outwards, but the whole parliament shares the power I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    No, constitutional monarchs aren't dictators - Charles I tried that, didn't end too well for him.
    Please don't reply with a simplified answer like "no they aren't dictators" because it doesn't help me understand the situation. Can you please elaborate and tell me why that is not the case in very simple terms. Like what are the differences between a King and a Dictator and give examples.

Deleted
    - King nowadays is just a guy pasted on a lot of stuff, to make money with tourism, mostly no power at all, just a person who leeches off people and makes profit.

- President in most Western Countries is just a face that represents your country, a bit like King, just not as "glorified". President however in USA has more Power.

- Prime Minister - Premier in other words in most Western Countries is the one who actually has the most Power together with the Parliament, yet they still have to follow people's wishes (although, some may say otherwise).

- Dictator the one with the most Power and doesn't need people to approve of the new laws, etc.
    Last edited by mmoc56c829a066; 2013-12-16 at 08:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please don't reply with a simplified answer like "no they aren't dictators" because it doesn't help me understand the situation. Can you please elaborate and tell me why that is not the case in very simple terms. Like what are the differences between a King and a Dictator and give examples.
    I gave you a full answer in the two words, "constitutional monarchy". There is no need for anybody to give any further examples, this isn't an encyclopedia.

This is now sounding more like a "do my essay for me" thread.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endre View Post
    - King nowadays is just a guy pasted on a lot of stuff, to make money with tourism, mostly no power at all, just a person who leeches off people and makes profit.
    - President in most Western Countries is just a face that represents your country, a bit like King, just not as "glorified". President however in USA has more Power.
    - Prime Minister - Premier in other words in most Western Countries is the one who actually has the most Power, yet still has to follow people's wishes (although, some may say otherwise).
    - Dictator the one with the most Power and doesn't need people to approve of the new laws, etc.
    I'm pretty sure King and Queen nowadays isn't like that. At least as far as the Queen of England.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

The difference between a king and a dictator is that dictatorship is not inherited to the next generation. That's been one of Ceasar's main political goals towards the end of his life, transforming his position of dictator into a true kingship. Naturally, the romans - being the republicans that they were - weren't too fond of that idea and so they offed him for that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I'm pretty sure King and Queen nowadays isn't like that. At least as far as the Queen of England.
    It is exactly like that. She has no real power, she's there to put on a show and to make money off it. Most of the people who go to England will buy something with the Queen on it, just because everyone knows about the Royal family.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Prime Minister in the UK and Canadian systems at least, possibly others, is simply the leader of whichever party is leading the government at that time. They're not chosen by Monarchs. Perhaps sworn in by them, but the parties elect their leaders.
    Technically, the PM is selected by the Monarch (or the GG, acting in place of the Monarch). They're just limited in their candidates to whoever can hold the confidence of the Commons.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    The difference between a king and a dictator is that dictatorship is not inherited to the next generation. That's been one of Ceasar's main political goals towards the end of his life, transforming his position of dictator into a true kingship. Naturally, the romans - being the republicans that they were - weren't too fond of that idea and so they offed him for that.
    But inheritance is a bad thing like haven't you seen Game of Thrones? Give a kingdom to a butthurt child and he will toy with it as he pleases. I'm referring to Jeffrey Baratheon and although that is fiction it still gets the point across.
    Last edited by crzyman007; 2013-12-16 at 08:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is exactly like that. She has no real power, she's there to put on a show and to make money off it. Most of the people who go to England will buy something with the Queen on it, just because everyone knows about the Royal family.
    Not what I hear. You're kind of demonizing it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

- Prime Minister - Premier in other words in most Western Countries is the one who actually has the most Power together with the Parliament, yet they still have to follow people's wishes (although, some may say otherwise).

That's harshly simplified. A King in constitutional monarchies usually is the actual head of the state. Depending on the constitution they have more or less political power. Presidents seem to fall into the same category, except the US president who combines the figurehead position of a president with the actual pollitical power of a premier in one person. And while dictators do have the most power combined into one person, they also need to follow law more or less, otherwise anarchy rules and they lose credibility quickly, leading to revolution etc. Even Hitler didn't just go and kill jews. He's had years and years of preparation in lawmaking against jews before he could "legitimise" actions taken against jews in the eyes of the general population.

Deleted
    But inheritance is a bad things like haven't you seen Game of Thrones? Give a kingdom to a butthurt child and he will toy with it as he pleases. I'm referring to Jeffrey Baratheon and although that is fiction it still gets the point across.
    I think you need to realize that monarchies have evolved a lot since the medieval ages.