Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Just use a senseo or anything else with pods then. Don't buy big bags so the coffee stays fresh. Problem solved.

If the one use K-Cups are so not biodegradable as the OP is clearly crying the most about then go and bitch about every other product that uses plastic containers like bottled water. You can fill up a reusable water bottle from the tap or grab a bottle of Poland Spring from the fridge. Waa Waa. People are lazy, don't care and will do anything to save time even if it's a matter of seconds. Keurig came up with a new idea and they are making tons of cash off it. Boo hoo. Deal with it and stop QQing already.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    Multiple people have explained it to you. There's not much left to say, but keep on your crusade. I'm sure it makes you feel better about...something.
    Explained what to me? It doesn't exactly change the fact that they are contributing to environmental issues does it? It doesn't change the fact that keurig grows in popularity and the k-cups grow in popularity now does it? The only thing explained was convenience and the that some people use the reusable k-cups (Which aren't the standard) how does this in any way change the waste? It doesn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rolow View Post
    If the one use K-Cups are so not biodegradable as the OP is clearly crying the most about then go and bitch about every other product that uses plastic containers like bottled water. You can fill up a reusable water bottle from the tap or grab a bottle of Poland Spring from the fridge. Waa Waa. People are lazy, don't care and will do anything to save time even if it's a matter of seconds. Keurig came up with a new idea and they are making tons of cash off it. Boo hoo. Deal with it and stop QQing already.
    Plastic bottles are recyclable though lol. These containers are not recyclable because of how they are constructed. What is with that bullshit "deal with it stop QQ" yeah people were saying that bullshit too about CFCs. Hell people say this same bullshit about global warming "oh who cares deal with it stop QQ i like my pollution herp derp fuck environment and the people who cry foul about the foul things going on"
    Last edited by Themius; 2013-12-17 at 12:11 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

Those packets are paper wrapped around plastic and foil. They are unrecyclable.

Tea bags, coffee filters, tea bag wrappers, etc. CAN be biodegradable and/or recyclable, but if you throw them in the waste bin (in a plastic bag) then they will not break down and definitely not be recycled. Unless you're composting them or throwing them in your recycle bin, it's just as big of a problem.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post

Those packets are paper wrapped around plastic and foil. They are unrecyclable.

Tea bags, coffee filters, tea bag wrappers, etc. CAN be biodegradable and/or recyclable, but if you throw them in the waste bin (in a plastic bag) then they will not break down and definitely not be recycled. Unless you're composting them or throwing them in your recycle bin, it's just as big of a problem.
    Well I only throw away the actual tea leaves because I don't use tea bags. The fix for the cocoa is to change brands. Atm I am using completely paper packets, which should probably be the standard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Plastic bottles are recyclable though lol. These containers are not recyclable because of how they are constructed. What is with that bullshit "deal with it stop QQ" yeah people were saying that bullshit too about CFCs. Hell people say this same bullshit about global warming "oh who cares deal with it stop QQ i like my pollution herp derp fuck environment and the people who cry foul about the foul things going on"
    CFCs were banned and the ozone layer is recovering. Global warming is still a huge issue, and is caused by CO2 emissions.

There are a plethora of plastic products that aren't recyclable either. Some are, but surprisingly most aren't, and recycling plants actually have to sort out the plastics they just can't recycle. They are sent to the trash heap.

K-cups are a piss in the ocean compared to other major issues.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    CFCs were banned and the ozone layer is recovering. Global warming is still a huge issue, and is caused by CO2 emissions.

There are a plethora of plastic products that aren't recyclable either. Some are, but surprisingly most aren't, and recycling plants actually have to sort out the plastics they just can't recycle. They are sent to the trash heap.

K-cups are a piss in the ocean compared to other major issues.
    That's at the moment, at the moment we are using 3bn and growing, as the popularity grows so does the waste, that is the main problem. If k-cups become the standard the waste from them would be ridiculous.

It's not like it just does coffee it's also covering tea drinkers and hot cocoa drinkers so the potential for waste as more and more people use this is purely ridiculous.
    Last edited by Themius; 2013-12-17 at 12:58 PM.

Deleted
    I work 75 hours a week, and i find the time to make my own tea, takes like 2 minutes.

WASTEFUL !

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm enjoying posters complaining about Kuerig Machines ALMOST as much as I'm enjoying my Keurig Coffee today. What a great way to start the day!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Well I only throw away the actual tea leaves because I don't use tea bags. The fix for the cocoa is to change brands. Atm I am using completely paper packets, which should probably be the standard.
    When I'm not pressed for time, I make latte with my espresso machine. I'm having some right now in fact. Aside from the bag/tin the coffee beans come in and the milk jug (which is recyclable), there is zero waste.

I'm not big on tea or cocoa myself, but my sister is, and she uses an electric kettle with a tea... basket... thing. I don't know what it's called, but she puts the tea leaves in this basket that comes with the kettle and will automatically lower and rise with the push of a button. As for cocoa, she gets tins/big bags of it, like you'd get coffee beans in.

When I am pressed for time, the K-cup machine is incredibly convenient and I do try to use the little reusable baskets, but I do have many of the little k-cups for when I am truly pressed. The coffee they make is by not stretch of the imagination inferior. The only time the temperature difference really becomes an issue is on the dark roasts as you don't get the full flavor. But on medium and light it does just fine. I imagine this is why there are so few dark roast k-cups. When picking them out out of a selection of about 100 coffees, there were only 4 dark roasts. I love to get the dunkin donuts pumpkin spice coffee k-cups when I can, and it tastes just like it does at dunkin donuts.

I get that you like quality and hand made stuff, and feel it is quite superior. I appreciate it as well. I don't just need a caffeine fix either, I enjoy the taste of coffee, even if it's not hand made from fresh ground beans. I just get the feeling you've never been crunched for time, and feel a bit like you see any other method of having coffee as supremely inferior (thus coffee/tea snob) and look down on others for enjoying coffee from pre-ground coffee made at a temperature 5 degrees lower than "optimal". Your entire attitude about how coffee and tea SHOULD be made and drunk is turning a lot of people off of your overall argument that the k-cup waste is bad, which it is, but you're attacking people for things other than the waste.

Nobody can argue that waste is good or that they actually LIKE producing extra waste (unless they're a captain planet villain). They just accept it as a side affect to convenience. And no, being complacent isn't the same as liking it. Complacency means they would accept an alternative. What you are doing is attacking people's choices in how they like to make/drink their beverages, which many people DO like, and that is a subjective experience. My grandmother drank instant coffee since WW2, and one time I made her fresh ground coffee. She liked it, but preferred her instant coffee.

If you stop going after people's preferred methods of drinking beverages and focus on the trash, you might get more positive results.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2013-12-17 at 01:28 PM.