Poll: Is flow necessary for a good game design

Is flow necessary for a good game design

Hello

I am currently writing a report on flow in game design. I am about to make a discussion whether or not flow is necessary for a good game design.

For you who don't know what flow is.

"Flow is the mental state of operation in which a person performing an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and enjoyment in the process of the activity. In essence, flow is characterized by complete absorption in what one does."

http://psychology.about.com/od/Posit...ogy/a/flow.htm

I would like to know if you ever had fun with a game, without being in flow?

if you want, you can leave a reply if you think flow is necessary, to have a good game experience. An example of a game without flow, but still fun to play would be nice.

Thank you very much.

No.

Good game design only needs to not be in conflict with itself. That is to say, operation of the gameplay is not in conflict to the goal of the design [artistic intent] or the operation & design of another gameplay operation.

The art of video games comes from the design. Their science is in operation.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're talking about immersion, I'd say yes. The best games I've played are games I lost myself in. Mass Effect Trilogy and Deus Ex HR come to mind. Mass Effect 3 for example had me so drawn in that when I first saw that kid get killed at the start of the game, I literally shouted "No!" in horror. Games that are immersive are the most memorable and the most enjoyable.
    Putin khuliyo