Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Good Star Wars books

Okay, so I recently got interested in the Star Wars lore and decided to read some Star Wars books. However so far I keep stumbling upon, at best, mediocre books written by unanimous bad authors.

Specifically, what I'm looking for is a book set in Star Wars universe but not directly related to the six episodes (KotoR timeline is OK, but six episodes are everywhere and get boring eventually). Interesting characters and plot are very important. Also I would like protagonist to be a Jedi growing in force throughout the book. Perfect if it is somewhat similar to The Name of The Wind: the protagonist starts as an anonymous kid, then gets into academy and studies there, with it being one of the biggest parts of the book. Star Wars Harry Potter, if you want, only preferably not for kids.

Are there any decent books like this?

Does it have to be a Jedi? I think the Darth Bane trilogy comes closest to your description but it's about a Sith. The majority of books happen after the movies and continue the story from there on and while I haven't read all of them, they basically revolve around Luke trying to rebuild the Jedi Order. And while a lot of new characters are introduced they don't really go that deep as to where you follow a single person throughout his entire journey to a Jedi.

Could you also list the books you have tried and liked/didn't like? Maybe you just picked a few really bad ones because while there's bad stuff for sure, there's also some really well written stuff.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Might not be what you're looking for, but the novelization for Revenge of the Sith is some of the best Star Wars I've read. It helps that you can imagine someone ELSE as Anakin.
    "Imagine coming across a mentally disabled person who was not only drunk, high, but had a full frontal lobotomy leaving little to no intelligence left in their body.

He would be NORMAL, compared to me."

15+ Year Old Account
    Heir to the Empire Trilogy
    Hand of Thrawn Duo
    New Jedi Order (its like a 14 book series or something retarded like that, first book is vector prime).

read them in the order listed

I personally love all of Karen Traviss' books. Of course I am a big fan of the Mandalorian culture and the Fetts.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Darth Bane Trilogy was pretty good.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

Hand of Thrawn is good.
    I, Jedi is good
    The first half (or so) of the Rogue Squadron books are good.

I believe 'I, Jedi' fulfills most of your requirements.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Hand of Thrawn is good.
    I, Jedi is good
    The first half (or so) of the Rogue Squadron books are good.

I believe 'I, Jedi' fulfills most of your requirements.
    can't believe i forgot about I, Jedi

I wouldn't recommend New Jedi Order, mostly because, in my opinion atleast, Vong are just as bad as midichlorians.

My favorites:
    Heir to the Empire trilogy.
    The Jedi Academy trilogy.
    Tales of the Jedi graphic novels are awesome as well, but I'm not sure if you are in to that.

I know that you were looking for something outside of the original episodes but honestly the Thrawn trilogy and Thrawn duology are the best books from the expanded universe. It's a must read for any Star Wars fan.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm a big fan of the Rogue and Wraith squadron books although they don't fulfill your Jedi requirement.

As many have said my favorites are definetly the Thrawn trilogy and Jedi Academy trilogy. Actually Ive really enjoyed about anything written by Timothy Zahn (Thrawn trilogy writer).

Quote Originally Posted by Kromtar View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Rogue and Wraith squadron books although they don't fulfill your Jedi requirement.
    Haha they sort of do... But if you want some sweet space fighting stuff the Rogue and Wraith books are amazing. Also the stuff by Kevin J Anderson (mostly the adult Star Wars stuff) isn't to bad and is usually semi-Jedi centric. I don't have access to my old Star Wars books at present so I don't have any titles/authors to look up.

I am the only person on the planet that enjoyed Crystal Star.

Don't read that one, OP.

I read something like 40 SW books when I was younger and I don't remember much but the young jedi knights series was pretty good. I like the Kyp character. <3 Suncrusher.

Signature Created by Jassinta

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks guys, there are a lot of interesting suggestions. I will try some of the suggested books.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    I read something like 40 SW books when I was younger and I don't remember much but the young jedi knights series was pretty good. I like the Kyp character. <3 Suncrusher.
    Suncrusher was nothing but a typical power fantasy shlick of "Well if you thought Death Star was badass with blowing up planets, wait til you see this!".

Anyhow, Timothy Zahn's trilogy is probably the best read when it comes to Star Wars. Novelization of Revenge of the Sith is alright as well, though it's more in line of "awfully thought out story written well and in engaging manner".
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Also I know that the New Jedi Order series for the most part has its fallout, especially with the Yuuzhan Vong but Traitor is probably worth reading as well. Vergere is one of my favorite expanded universe characters.

Deleted
    Rogue/Wrath squadron are awesome as is pretty much anything written by their authors (Michael Stackpole, Timothy Zahn aand someone else I now can't remember I think?). Karen Travis is great for putting some grit into the clone wars and actually making you realise what a dickish move throwing the clones into war was (think of sending 3 year olds off to fight). Just a shame that those books are no longer cannon to allow for the clone wars tv series to make the whole clone wars chewable and suitable for small children (this is why the series ends prematurely after Imperial troopers (or 501st can't remember again) and I believe the author officially said screw you I'm never writing for Star Wars again).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychu View Post
    Also I know that the New Jedi Order series for the most part has its fallout, especially with the Yuuzhan Vong but Traitor is probably worth reading as well. Vergere is one of my favorite expanded universe characters.
    can't say i have a favorite EU character but some of my favorites are Wes, Tycho, and Iella