Blizzard should rebuild Lord of the Clans and release it

I had such an attack of nostalgia after watching some of the Let's Play of the Lord of the Clans beta that was linked in a news post this week. Tony Jay did the voice for Drek'thar, I can't get over this. According to WoWpedia, Peter Cullen did Doomhammer's voice. OMG.

This would be so rad to play through. Assuming any of the art/sound/writing assets even still exist, I think Blizzard should give the project to some interns and get the game out and playable on modern machines. Supposedly it was canceled for lackluster gameplay; well, whatever. I think this would be a nostalgic old-school game that a lot of people would like to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Keleri View Post
    lackluster gameplay
    It was basically Where in Time is Carmen SanDiego? in the Warcraft universe. Those PC point-and-clicks are horribly boring. I can't see this being an actual game. Maybe a free DLC off the Blizzard website in its current (unfinished) state to please the serious lore fans but nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Keleri View Post
    I had such an attack of nostalgia after watching some of the Let's Play of the Lord of the Clans beta that was linked in a news post this week. Tony Jay did the voice for Drek'thar, I can't get over this. According to WoWpedia, Peter Cullen did Doomhammer's voice. OMG.

This would be so rad to play through. Assuming any of the art/sound/writing assets even still exist, I think Blizzard should give the project to some interns and get the game out and playable on modern machines. Supposedly it was canceled for lackluster gameplay; well, whatever. I think this would be a nostalgic old-school game that a lot of people would like to play.
    Maybe as an april fools joke.

It was covered a little bit in a game design course at my university and the story was that the game really wasn't received well in internal testing. Anyways, I doubt it would be a huge success today. Point&klick adventures aren't exactly AAA stuff nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    It was covered a little bit in a game design course at my university and the story was that the game really wasn't received well in internal testing. Anyways, I doubt it would be a huge success today. Point&klick adventures aren't exactly AAA stuff nowadays.
    To bad, I still play games like Monkey Island 1,2,3 (3 is my favourite).. I recently played A Whispered World which wasn't bad at all.. they should really release more point and click adventure games these days!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    to please the serious lore fans
    The lore in it was changed in other media afterwards, so its current incarnation would not be canon...
    It would have been fun to see it in a story game like "the Walking Dead" or "Heavy Rain", but many people would have tried and rejected it because the gameplay is not the important part of these games.

Anyway, Blizzard is all about gameplay nowadays as it trumps lore and story (sadly), so even for a side release, it wouldn't pass the "standard Blizzard quality tests"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    To bad, I still play games like Monkey Island 1,2,3 (3 is my favourite).. I recently played A Whispered World which wasn't bad at all.. they should really release more point and click adventure games these days!
    If you like MI, you should try to play the Telltale game Tales of Monkey Island, it's a very nice addition to the story, very fun to play, and push the story after Monkey Island 4

If Blizz started leaning a little more towards its lore again (those were the days), I would have liked to see Lord of the Clans received a game treatment similar to "Walking Dead".

Of course, the last incarnation of that game featured such no-longer-canon bits such as Alexstrasza smoking a hooka. The artwork was also kind of painful to look at, back then.

Quote Originally Posted by RaenavenBlacksun View Post
    If Blizz started leaning a little more towards its lore again (those were the days), I would have liked to see Lord of the Clans received a game treatment similar to "Walking Dead".

Of course, the last incarnation of that game featured such no-longer-canon bits such as Alexstrasza smoking a hooka. The artwork was also kind of painful to look at, back then.
    Deathwing smoked the Hookah. And how do you explain lore with a gamestyle like Walking Dead with its infinite endings and player choices? Who canonically dies? Whats the "proper" sequence of events?

There's a replay of the game up on youtube.

There's a lot of quirky things in the game with the lore that don't make any sense now, so I can't see them doing it. Zul'jin is a smarmy merchant who acts more like a Goblin than a badass Troll leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Deathwing smoked the Hookah. And how do you explain lore with a gamestyle like Walking Dead with its infinite endings and player choices? Who canonically dies? Whats the "proper" sequence of events?
    Walking dead doesn't have infinite endings, It has a fixed ending with differences in what happened before it

The time for Lord of The Clans is so long passed it isn't even funny. I remember adoring the trailer for it (despite the TERRIBLE animation) just for the dialogue spoken by Clancy Brown, but the game is a relic that was barely suitable for its time, much less now.

But I would not be opposed to a more modern game in that style made today, especially if they took cues from The Walking Dead (or hell, maybe they could just let Telltale do it like Gearbox is letting them do that Borderlands game).

Quote Originally Posted by Phyl View Post
    If you like MI, you should try to play the Telltale game Tales of Monkey Island, it's a very nice addition to the story, very fun to play, and push the story after Monkey Island 4
    Played that one long ago.. Not as good as the 1-3 entries in the series however