Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

What Era would you live in?

Just curious, my last thread went off-topic and i really had no choice but to think of something else. I would really like to go back to the Western Era/Medieval Era purely because of movies and TV shows. Even though they were probably no where near alike, i still think it would be awesome to live in those era's. For Western, the clothing really hits me, its badass and horses as a choice of transportation. As for medieval, i would love to go back to these times because of movies/shows! Curse you movies! Game of Thrones being a prime example. Show is amazing, however nothing really happened in real life like that. Once again, their clothing also strikes me. Mainly clothing and the setting make me want to go back. It may of not been perfect, but look at today's world, it is going to shit.

So, what era would you like to live in and make sure to explain why!

Edit: Can be any Era or even the future.
    Last edited by BarelyLegalBear; 2013-12-19 at 05:30 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd stick to now, where i don't die from getting a cold etc and where living past 40 is very likely etc.

Movies just glorify the past (kinda), sure riding a horse looks cool, it isn't comfortable though and would take forever to get somewhere.

The post scarcity era. (That would be in the future)

The vast majority of people (now and in the past) just get shit on and die. Rolling the dice doesn't seem like the thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

If the future isn't off limits; the era directly preceding our downfall I guess. Would be cool to see how far we make it.

If it's purely the past I'd probably pass, despite the shortcomings, being alive right now is pretty sweet if you're in the first world. Although the 70s and 50s don't seem too bad but would still probably pass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo5566 View Post
    Just curious, my last thread went off-topic and i really had no choice but to think of something else. I would really like to go back to the Western Era/Medieval Era purely because of movies and TV shows. Even though they were probably no where near alike, i still think it would be awesome to live in those era's. For Western, the clothing really hits me, its badass and horses as a choice of transportation. As for medieval, i would love to go back to these times because of movies/shows! Curse you movies! Game of Thrones being a prime example. Show is amazing, however nothing really happened in real life like that. Once again, their clothing also strikes me. Mainly clothing and the setting make me want to go back. It may of not been perfect, but look at today's world, it is going to shit.

So, what era would you like to live in and make sure to explain why!
    1950s. OH MY GOD this was truly the golden age of sports. Best World Series ever, football just taking off... yeah. Good times. Let's not forget that it preceeds the 60s, which was probably the single most important decade in world history.

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    I'd stick to now, where i don't die from getting a cold etc and where living past 40 is very likely etc.

Movies just glorify the past (kinda), sure riding a horse looks cool, it isn't comfortable though and would take forever to get somewhere.
    True, but you would explore more and possibly find kind adventurers like you along the way!

10+ Year Old Account
    True, but you would explore more and possibly find kind adventurers like you along the way!
    The chances are more likely a band of highwaymen would rape your horse, rob you, rape you, rape your horse again, kill you and then sell your horse. Probably to a rapist.

Late 1800's Europe. so cool

After spending my entire life with the computer and video games, it's hard for me to imagine a life removed from such technology. Also I think I would probably really start to miss modern medicine if I went more than a few decades back, or at least when they tried to remedy my headache by bleeding me out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Just curious, my last thread went off-topic and i really had no choice but to think of something else.
    You do realize there is no requirement for making threads right?
    On topic I would live about 200 years from now.

Deleted
    Height of the Roman Empire.

10+ Year Old Account
    The modern era is by far the best that has ever existed on this planet, at least for the western world.

Advances in medicine alone are worth this era being awarded first prize.

10+ Year Old Account
    If i can live in a future era, then HERE I GO! (unless is a post apocalypsis era full of war, crimes and deaths), and if it have to be in the past... i would go back to era before the empire of rome (obviously i would be a patriarc and not a commoner :P )

100-200 years ago, alone in the woods, away from it all/
    READ and be less Ignorant.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think some past eras would be fun to live in for a time, but they would get old and I would miss the things that I know exist but that others do not. I would have to choose a future era, preferably one in which we, as a species, have gotten over our technological adolescence and have finally started working together to advance and explore space.

History would be very interesting to visit, but you sure as fuck wouldn't want to live there. Even going back a mere hundred years would be a horrible downgrade on today.

I'd love to see some major events in Roman history, always been a fan of the Republican era.

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    1950s. OH MY GOD this was truly the golden age of sports. Best World Series ever, football just taking off... yeah. Good times. Let's not forget that it preceeds the 60s, which was probably the single most important decade in world history.
    What happened in the 60s?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Far future. I'm a technophile.

Maybe 100 years into the future to see how far the world has advanced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    I would stick to now for Europe. As for Africa, I'd prefer 43 years ago preventing Mugabe to rise in power.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    50's

One person worked and could afford a house, vacation, and a new car.

Noone was shunned for their personal opinions. People lived a simple life and enjoyed themselves immensely.