Thread: Class Query

Class Query

Hello all,

I have a quick question regarding a class choice for doing some casual pvp (arena's [2's rarely 3's] and bg's, not rbg's) for people who are relatively new to the pvp scene as a whole. The choice I'm looking at, at this time, is essentially Retadin or Warrior, and the pros/cons of each?

For a little bit more information, I will always be playing with my wife who is looking forward to playing a priest (holy/disc). We have been playing together for many years and are experienced players with these classes, in PVE but not pvp. We are not looking to get extremely competitive in pvp, but we do like to win on occasion, and we're not really looking at FotM class either as we wish to get better at the class and pvp in general rather than character swapping all the time. As a side note, I do enjoy playing both, and these will most likely be strictly pvp characters.

I do know the basics of ret paladins and warriors in pvp; being that ret's are more supportive with some burst capabilities, and warriors are more damage orientated. Just a little bit more information that might be useful, is that I find being rooted incredibly infuriating, I do realise this is part of pvp, but it is something to take into consideration when responding. I have also done some forum reading and such, but apart from the QQ, and nerf this nerf that post... I struggle to find anything comprehensive on helping make this choice.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and hopefully respond.

TDLR; Pvp newb, ret or warrior with a pocket healer priest?

10+ Year Old Account
    Before the mods devour this thread I'll give you an answer.

Arms Warrior.

Why?

Because Arms is quite possibly next to Frost/Unholy DK's to be the easiest class to pick up and play. Warriors are easy because their damage "rotation" is mostly mindless, nothing requires any resource management. You can basically funnel what seems like endless amounts of single target and retarded cleave damage with just a mash of the same combination of buttons. 90% of Warrior is literally just damage and mashing stuns and interrupts. You can get away with a lot of mistakes because the class has such a low tool kit that as long as you have decent team mates playing actual skilled classes, they can make up for your failures.

Ret Paladins on the other hand damage wise aren't that hard to play. The problem with Ret is that their defensive tool kit is way too active which spells bad news for beginner players. You can get "cleaved" as a Ret paladin because the class doesn't have any real "shield Wall" ability. It's one of the many burdens hybrids have to deal with in general.

Not only does Ret have a more active defensive tool kit, it also has more responsibility over Warriors. People will expect Rets to heal, cleanse, freedom team mates unlike Warriors where people just expect them to tunnel whatever target and not care about anything else for the most part. If you're more of a casual pvper, you can probably get away with playing Ret like a Warrior, but it's really limiting your potential with the spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arms, there is no reason to pick a ret instead of a warrior.

Ret sucks this patch. Go with warrior.

We don't allow 'pick my class/race/faction/server' threads on here, unfortunately. So i'm going to have to lock this, you've got a few replies already though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    Before the mods devour this thread I'll give you an answer.
    Nom nom nom.