Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Do you like warfare?

Yeah people might think that question is insane, but there are a lot of people who enjoy war, or reading about it. I am asking if you like it, because I've read about some marines who are so fascinated by the exhilaration of it, they opt to stay in the line of duty than go home.
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I enjoy reading about it because I can..would never dream about participating though.

Deleted
    The only people that like warfare are those that have never experienced it or the mentally ill.

War! What is it good for?

10+ Year Old Account
    Study it, yes. Like to see it actually waged, generally not.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    need more war, not less....thin the herd of excess population. preferably war between US/China. although expensive, unless it turns nuclear, China has no ability to project, so all the damage would be 'over there.'
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jazen View Post
    need more war, not less....thin the herd of excess population. preferably war between US/China. although expensive, unless it turns nuclear, China has no ability to project, so all the damage would be 'over there.'
    Unless you count economic damage, in which case the USA and the rest of the world is screwed.

I'm not sure how a person "likes it". I think the closest thing is this: my best friend is currently in Afghanistan, and he is very, very happy being able to do what he was trained to do in the field, rather than sit on base and train. He does like his job now immensely, whereas he hated it before his deployment. What does that tell you? It tells you he is happy because he feels useful and is getting job satisfaction from that, rather than being on base feeling useless. I think that could be said about ANY job. Having a purpose and responsibilities is infinitely more rewarding than feeling like a spare part.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragashii View Post
    War! What is it good for?
    Getting lots of Oil! ( sorry, had too)
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

In games, books and movies it can be entertaining/educational
    But in the real world I want none of it
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

Quote Originally Posted by jazen View Post
    This is a pretty silly thing to say. The US is a fairly large country and isn't really overpopulated, in fact our birthrates are rather low and that trend will probably continue. Overtime our population will fall naturally. We do not need war to do that for us. As for China there is simply no way they will be able to sustain that massive population for very long, it was a boom and nothing more. With China's one child policy enforced and the fact that most families choose a boy over a girl there is not going to be enough women to keep up that population. But that's for another topic.

We don't need war as a means to control the population.

10+ Year Old Account
    War is profitable so therefore I like it.

Deleted
    Military history can be interesting. It's easy to admire battle tactics or demonstrations of bravery and heroism (or feel awe at acts of brutality and ruthlessness) when the wars of the past feel so distant and unrelatable now.

The only contemporary warfare I "like" is the waging of war upon groups of people who have shown that they are unwilling to communicate in any way except through homicidal violence and actively hate and want to destroy many of the things that I love (intellectual intrigue, scientific and medical advancement, egalitarianism, internationalism, democracy and the general values of the Enlightenment).

Deleted
    Who the hell likes war? Seriously, people going on about thinning out the population like people are fucking cattle? Are you for real? These people that you want to "thin out" have families, friends, etc etc, entire networks of millions and millions of people who will be heartbroken and grieving for lost loved ones, and that's fun? I'm not 'delicate' or anything, and I will happily sit and blow people away in videogames but that's not real life, right? Are people so heartless or desensitised to the suffering of others now that you can talk about millions of deaths like you are buying groceries or ordering a pizza? Or is it just the whole teen macho male thing where it's cool to be all apathetic and not care about other people being heartbroken and grieving?

Edit: Not that I'm saying we should never go to war. I think there are some really legitimate reasons for going to war. I don't think anyone could argue that removing a dictator who murders their own people like stalin or hitler through warfare is justified if it is the only option, but it really has to be the ONLY option.
    Last edited by mmoca33b2a723c; 2013-12-19 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragashii View Post
    This is a pretty silly thing to say. The US is a fairly large country and isn't really overpopulated, in fact our birthrates are rather low and that trend will probably continue. Overtime our population will fall naturally. We do not need war to do that for us. As for China there is simply no way they will be able to sustain that massive population for very long, it was a boom and nothing more. With China's one child policy enforced and the fact that most families choose a boy over a girl there is not going to be enough women to keep up that population. But that's for another topic.

We don't need war as a means to control the population.
    America's population is growing. It's going to be 420 million people my mid century (up from 310 today), over 500 million by century's end. White America's birthrates are falling, but Hispanic Americans are not.

The thing is all of humans especially males carry deep down inside a Caveman that would like nothing more then to plunder, burn, pillage and see their enemies run before him, so he can hear the lamentation of their women.

There is something basic and primal in the idea of War that draws us to it, like moths to a flame. But when we actually go through it, we usually come out on the other side, scarred and horrified, as the civilized human being that we also carry within us become appalled by the misery and pain of war.

It's two opposing human instincts, the one of violent competition and the other of empathy and solidarity. Both instincts are useful and necessary and they have kept us alive and prospering so far.

This is an age old contradiction of human nature.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    America's population is growing. It's going to be 420 million people my mid century (up from 310 today), over 500 million by century's end. White America's birthrates are falling, but Hispanic Americans are not.
    May I ask where did you get those numbers? As it sorta spits in the face of established ideas about population growth in developed nations.

https://www.google.com/search?q=us+p...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Existing trends and current statistics seem to contradict what you just said.

EDIT

I see your data seems to be from the U.S Census bureau. I'm a bit skeptical of those numbers to be honest. It goes on the assumption that new immigrants children will continue having children at the same rate as their immigrant parents. None the less, considering that population density of the U.S 450 is more then a sustainable number. Europe is way past those numbers, despite being smaller.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2013-12-19 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    The thing is all of humans especially males carry deep down inside a Caveman that would like nothing more then to plunder, burn, pillage and see their enemies run before him, so he can hear the lamentation of their women.
    You just described my entire perspective on life. Well done.

Nobody likes warfare.
    People who think they do like watered down fantasy stories of events that never actually happened. Warfare isn't Call of Duty.

That isn't to say nobody agrees with warfare, it's always necessary. But as for liking it, no. No one does.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    You just described my entire perspective on life. Well done.
    He was quoting conan, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Yeah people might think that question is insane, but there are a lot of people who enjoy war, or reading about it. I am asking if you like it, because I've read about some marines who are so fascinated by the exhilaration of it, they opt to stay in the line of duty than go home.
    I love tub warfare. Especially with my neighbor. At night. With the police.