Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    New World Order.
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    I don't celebrate Christmas, so I wish it passes with as few "Why aren't you taking part" as possible.

Might book a last minute flight and go abroad somewhere for a week.

a purpose would be nice

Deleted
    I already know what my presents are.... 5 DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Like I've said in other threads. Each family branch does it's own gift giving thing, so I get to be forever alone, and then within the extended family Christmas get together we do a gift card draw for the adults, which isn't so much a matter of the gift itself, just a fun way of showing somebody how well you know them. There's no gift giving limits for stuff going to the children though. So they get to be spoiled.
    We've done some things like that. We make it war, actually. Everyone gets something for $20 or less, put everything in a pile. Draw sticks with a number on them; that's the order the things are selected. THEN in reverse order you get to swap your thing with someone else's. Fun times.

This year, my "gift" is that I volunteered to cook the entire dinner. Kind of regretting that right now...

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Same thing I wish for every year. No more crappy Kardashian tv shows and for Firefly to come back.

DAMN YOU FOX!

I know Fox doesn't make the Kardashian tv shows. E! does. Actually lets just get rid of the whole E! channel.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    A small personal health issue to go away, though that may need another surgery for that to happen... Been eight months of this nonsense, enough is enough. I don't really have any actual gift wants really, just changes to things that can't really be given.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Or you know, maybe, just maybe, some people enjoy being surprised by a gift!? And don't give a crap whether it seems enough adult-like?
    No no no stupid idea, stupid, bad Uzi.
    Ok, so, I have 20 family members coming over. Let's say I spent $20 on a gift for each. That's $400. Let's say they all did the same. Great, now I have $400 of random shit I didn't want. Instead, I could have spent my $400 on something I really actually want. Or saved it.

That's why gifts are stupid.

Edit: if it's something special that the person really knows I really want, fine.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2013-12-23 at 05:44 PM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I just buy something if I want it, so I don't have to wish for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sainur View Post
    A girlfriend

*sobs*
    Yeah... 2 years after my big big breakup and my Mom's like "if there's somebody you want to bring to Christmas dinner go ahead."

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

I don't even know how people date anymore. I don't have time. :\ Dating is unicorns.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish for at least one year when I am not on my period on Christmas day, sadly, it won't be happening this year either, lovely feeling, everyone is cheering, eating nice food, celebrating and enjoying themselves and I am in horrible horrible pain. When I eventually have kids, I will make sure to be pregnant on Christmas >:/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Or you know, maybe, just maybe, some people enjoy being surprised by a gift!? And don't give a crap whether it seems enough adult-like?
    No no no stupid idea, stupid, bad Uzi.

- - - Updated - - -

Why aren't you taking part?
    Because I'm not Christian.

10+ Year Old Account
    A nice dorm at an affordable rate!

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Ok, so, I have 20 family members coming over. Let's say I spent $20 on a gift for each. That's $400. Let's say they all did the same. Great, now I have $400 of random shit I didn't want. Instead, I could have spent my $400 on something I really actually want. Or saved it.

That's why gifts are stupid.

Edit: if it's something special that the person really knows I really want, fine.
    random shit? buy gift cards. Then they can buy what they actually want with it instead of pretending to like it then either hiding it and never looking at it again or regifting it next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    Why aren't you taking part?
    The act of gift giving during Yule isn't christian exclusive. Heck, even the white bearded figure isn't christian, originally it was Odin from scandinavian mythology. The only bit that is christian is the Jesus was born on december 25.
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 2013-12-23 at 05:50 PM.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

I didn't wish for anything, but my current wrist watch broke so I bought a new one today with my parents:

Tissot Tradition Perpetual Calendar
    http://www.tissot.ch/?collections/pr....637.16.037.00

I don't think I'm getting anything else (at least I don't expect anything).

We've got 5 kids so all we are looking forward to is them being happy.

If I had to pick one thing, ummm, my morning coffee, lol.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where do you live? 1993?

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    Neither are most people that celebrate it. But I don't want to get into it, because a) you're obviously free to partake in whatever holidays you want, and b) I just saw your signature, and that tells me more than enough about where that discussion would go.

Getting a keurigK75 Platinum and a Bose Q15 headset plus an assortment of Blu-rays and anything else my wife and son get me Spending time with my family...feeling especially blessed this holiday season!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    Neither are most people that celebrate it. But I don't want to get into it, because a) you're obviously free to partake in whatever holidays you want, and b) I just saw your signature, and that tells me more than enough about where that discussion would go.
    I find it hilarious though how not nearly as many non-Muslims celebrate Eid... Yet you ask them why and they will tell you they ain't Muslim.

Ugh, I won't be a superficial consumer whore for the sake of pleasing others. Oh well.