Asus VS239H-P IPS Monitor...Did I make a horrible mistake?

I just purchase this monitor today and already started having problems. Whenever I do a system restart/shut down the monitor will not wake up from sleep mode. I have to turn it on and off again in order to resolve this. Ontop of this the color is bland compared to* my other asus monitor.

Did I make a bad purchase on this monitor and should I just return it and get another? I dropped about 200usd and feel like this is a waste.
    Last edited by Lolkrayd; 2013-12-24 at 12:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    what kind of connection are you using? VGA? DVI? DP?

also, what color mode is the panel set to?

Using HDMI, and I am a little lost on what you mean by color mode. Like do you mean if its on scenery/gaming mode and what not?

Deleted
    Hm, I've heard people having issues with HDMI before. Not sure if it applies to your issue, but have you tried using another interface (DVI)?

Could be some power-saving feature that is messing it up. It could also be faulty. I'd check the monitor settings first; most of the time the energy saving feature(s) are turned on by default.

(Had a similar issue with my TV being connected via HDMI.)

10+ Year Old Account
    use DVI or DP, HDMI is sub par for computers

and yes, in the menu that has scenery/gaming, don't bother with those, set it to standard

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    use DVI or DP, HDMI is sub par for computers
    What? Apart from bandwidth limitations (which are shared by DVI), it is in no way sub par. Only VGA is inferior to the rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    What? Apart from bandwidth limitations (which are shared by DVI), it is in no way sub par. Only VGA is inferior to the rest.
    HDMI carries single link DVI signal with a crappy unsecured connector, therefore, sub par

Unless you got a 120 or 144 hz refresh rate monitor (or even higher) you won't notice much of a difference with HDMI over DVI/display port. Some people even debate even if that was the case (although my eye notices it plenty). If that was the case you would want to use either a duel link DVI cable or a display port for higher bandwidth. Only other problem is sometimes HDMI gets some signal noise due to being not the most secure connector, but you would be complaining about fuzzy picture etc if that was a problem for you.

Also I think HDMI's current gen doesn't go over 1080p, but that doesn't matter much since your monitor is 1080p.

So to be short your problem with the monitor not waking up isn't an HDMI problem. Likely a software issue. Make sure your windows driver for the monitor is updated properly.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2013-12-24 at 10:11 AM.

Deleted
    Of course I hope you get it to work like it should but if you don't and it's not too big of hassle I'd maybe consider returning it and replacing it with this one, which should be around the same price but a better monitor overall:

Asus PB238Q

(only as a secondary option...)

Switching to DVI fix the sleep issue.
    Though, my IPS monitor is so much darker and isn't as sharp as the ASUS VS Series VS247H-P model.

Deleted
    HDMI carries single link DVI signal with a crappy unsecured connector, therefore, sub par
    The bandwidth comparsion to single link is true for 1.X to some extent, HDMI 2.0 beats dual link. Every HDMI standard supports 1080p60, which is what most need. Which is what OP needs.

Neither of the plugs come off easily. In fact I tend to leave DVIs unscrewed since then the damage isn't as bad if someone trips on the cable.

Calling HDMI sub par is just misleading.
    Last edited by mmoc04fee285e2; 2013-12-25 at 01:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    The bandwidth comparsion to single link is true for 1.X to some extent, HDMI 2.0 beats dual link. Every HDMI standard supports 1080p60, which is what most need. Which is what OP needs.

Neither of the plugs come off easily. In fact I tend to leave DVIs unscrewed since then the damage isn't as bad if someone trips on the cable.

Calling HDMI sub par is just misleading.
    HDMI supports 1920@60Hz, dual link DVI does 2560@75hz

i've had plenty of HDMI connectors simply fall out from the weight of the cable, in fact the directtv one at work is duct taped in

HDMI is a standard developed and maintained by nobodies friend, the PC world doesn't like it, DP is better, and for the same quality (1920@60hz), DVI has a better connector, and the AV industry doesn't like it because it doesn't deliver as clean of a signal over distance as coax,
    HDMI was developed and is pushed out by manufacturers of home theater equipment, not computers or studio AV equipment, and its a bad implementation, just single link DVI and some added audio, as opposed to DP which can be daisy chained and carried over thunderbolt, and has a secure connector

so its not any better than DVI, but adds faults like single link limitation, cost, and an unsecured connector, how is calling it sub par misleading? it is sub par

OT and humorous: from a pc gamer standpoint, HDMI is for dirty console peasents, and/or its a connector for dumb people who can't color match composite coax cables

Deleted
    HDMI supports 1920@60Hz, dual link DVI does 2560@75hz

i've had plenty of HDMI connectors simply fall out from the weight of the cable, in fact the directtv one at work is duct taped in

HDMI is a standard developed and maintained by nobodies friend, the PC world doesn't like it, DP is better, and for the same quality (1920@60hz), DVI has a better connector, and the AV industry doesn't like it because it doesn't deliver as clean of a signal over distance as coax,
    HDMI was developed and is pushed out by manufacturers of home theater equipment, not computers or studio AV equipment, and its a bad implementation, just single link DVI and some added audio, as opposed to DP which can be daisy chained and carried over thunderbolt, and has a secure connector

so its not any better than DVI, but adds faults like single link limitation, cost, and an unsecured connector, how is calling it sub par misleading? it is sub par

OT and humorous: from a pc gamer standpoint, HDMI is for dirty console peasents, and/or its a connector for dumb people who can't color match composite coax cables
    Yes, HDMI 1.x supports 1080p@60Hz, but HDMI 2.0 supports 3840×2160p60. DVI Dual Link supports that at 33Hz due to limited bandwidth. But indeed, 2.0 isn't common yet. But for OP, only 1080p@60Hz is even relevant.

I don't know what kind of abuse you've given to your equipment, mine have never been a problem despite bying cheapest available equipment.

The AV signal isn't clean? It is digital PCM, cleanliness of the sound doesn't rely on HDMI at all. But what it does, is support 5.1 PCM as one of the few customer solutions. Neither toslink or coax have the bandwidth for multichannel PCM.

DP is better, but we were talking about HDMI vs. DVI weren't we?

Also, you forgot the largest fault of HDMI: HDCP.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post

So to be short your problem with the monitor not waking up isn't an HDMI problem. Likely a software issue. Make sure your windows driver for the monitor is updated properly.
    Isn't true. Had my old LG monitor connected via HDMI and had the same problem that the monitor won't recognize that the PC is already started. Same thing can be seen on PS3, Xbox360, DVD and Bluray players. HDMI cables easily get pulled out a little bit by just moving something that touches the cable even if you have a high grade one. It's like in the old days with the Snes cartridges. Pull out, blow in, try again and repeat as long until it works.

Another "bad" thing about HDMI is that even on PC the GPU will think that the monitor is a TV and can't handle the full spectrum of colors so that it reduces the spectrum. When the monitor is in "monitor mode" all colors will be brighter and a little bit washed out because the PC thinks it's a TV. To solve that you either have to tell the GPU that it's a monitor (somewhere in the drivers) or tell the monitor to behave like a TV.

When connecting a monitor to a PC you either use DVI or DP.

As for the darker picture and blurry image. Check the options in the monitor OSD. Reset to factory defaults and look for options like eco mode or automatic contrast and deactivate them. Blurry image could be from a bad DVI cable or using the "wrong" output from the GPU. Most have DVI-I and DVI-D and you should use DVI-D. Normally it shouldn't matter which one you use but there are some reports that say they have problems when using the DVI-I port. Other than the port you're using the picture can get blurry when forcing a higher refresh rate or not using the native resolution.