Upgrading my computer need assistance

Hello All,

I have a 500 budget to upgrade my computer. The 3 main things I would like to focus on are GPU, CPU, and motherboard. I will have $500 to spend over the next 5 months. Could anyone help me in what order I should upgrade my parts and what recommendations would you make?

Currently have
    NVidia GeForce 8600 GT
    ASUS M2N-SLI Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+

Not worried about Ram or HD at the moment as I can address this at a later date. Currently have 8 gigs of ram and plenty of HD space.

Thanks!

Edit:
    Would like to be able to play DayZ Standalone type games with no problems.
    Last edited by Titan2k10; 2013-12-24 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Added information

Well I'm an Intel/Nvidia guy for my builds. So I'd always reco an Intel CPU and an Nvidia GPU. For Mobo's I like ASROCK right now. I just like their build quality and features.

You can get an i5 CPU, a 6 series Nvidia GPU and a good ASROCK mobo for just around 500 bucks which would give you a nice boost to all your gaming without killing your budget.

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card ($138.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $552.96
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-24 11:27 EST-0500)

The reaosn you need to get RAM is that your mobo above only supports DDR2 RAM. Unfortunately, that puts you over $500 if you want 8GB RAM. You'll also need to check your HDD to see if it's a SATA or an IDE port on the back - SATA should have an L-shape on the horizontal for the data cable.

I have read a few reviews about the Radeon R7 and they appear to be having some major driver issues? Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    I have read a few reviews about the Radeon R7 and they appear to be having some major driver issues? Is this correct?
    Nope. 99% of them are just clueless
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

Deleted
    Yea only the 290 is the proper new card in the AMD R range. All others are just rehashes of old cards updated with uefi GOP. Shouldnt have any issues unless you get one of the early ones with faulty bios that takes 2 mins to update.