What I think will make a good game...feel free to comment!

I personally feel that a lot of the '90s console JRPGS had the best stories hands down. I think what's lacking today is a great and original story. Back in the day you read everything and it gave a sense of immersion. There was more imagination involved. You were more engaged. Not everything has to be done with void acting, it's just become the standard. I'm not against that by any means, but it's overly used in games. Allow the player to think and decide how these characters would play out in there minds. Keep them constantly asking questions and of course, have it realistic as for how they would "progress". Very slow, gradual and to where you felt you earned the "level up". Or, felt you busted your ass for that 1+ skill point in archery. Don't hold the players hands let them figure it out.

Include a big enough world to explore, ton's of quests, and each level "bracket" really felt unique, not like "oh just 10 more levels now". Hell have small raids for those level brackets, so the game isn't just about the "end game", have every bit of worth playing. Thus, increase the longevity of the game. Each level bracket, would have an epic quest line to follow, with dungeons, maybe even some pvp, and a difficult raid, to "pass" onto the next level bracket. Its not about endgame, make it to where a hard ass level 40 helm is compared to a good level60 helm. Based off of stats of course. Diabo 2ish. Make items feel rare and powerful, one of a kind. A mixture of elder scrolls, "secret guilds", and if you're a member you can secretly invite whomever to your guild. But invites only.

Player driven and community driven. In game politics, if you want to be a guard , or knight be it. Be the authority figures, or be a thieve, or a summoner, or mage, or archer and the story goes through the community and is not so focused on the main (raid) storyline. Thrown in rare once ina while community events where you work together to open up a raid(AQ), or a huge pvp war, between all factions, driven by GAME MASTERS, to set themin motion. Just some very high ideas of mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since this has nothing to do with World of Warcraft I'm moving it to Video Games Discussions.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Crazy!? Have you heard of the Mass Effect series?

Deleted
    Those are hardly ideas. You basically said it's a good idea to "make a game with great story, tons of stuff, enough content to never bore anyone and systems to make everyone feel awesome". And threw in some of that anti-modern-AAA talk (less hand holding, harder games etc.), that many people are repeating for quite some time now. Which, mind you, I'm not saying is wrong or something, just not really an original idea.

The only idea is the return of reading. Perhaps that's a good way for some, but no major game developer would ever risk that, cos it's surely a niche idea. So it's limited to indie titles, and by their very nature they won't have "tons of awesome, endless content". If you want a game with reading I suggest Shadowrun Returns, it's pretty nice.

Also realize the more you play games, and even the longer you live, the more things you see, so the less original things there are. Can't really have new things if you've experienced a lot.

To a kid, the new RPGs can be just as good as you remember the 90s RPGs.
    Also, I'd personally rather take any of the Tales games over 90s RPGs,

What I think will make a good game? One made with an intended audience in mind (or perhaps create an entirely new and unique audience?).
    Not spread thin to appeal to the whole world.
    Though it does require a lot more then just that.
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-12-27 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    What I think will make a good game? One made with an intended audience in mind (or perhaps create an entirely new and unique audience?).
    Not spread thin to appeal to the whole world.
    Though it does require a lot more then just that.
    if you want big budget games, they gotta have big target audiences.

everyone *says* they want niche games, but they when they release on a 'niche budget', they complain about the subpar graphics/etc and move on to the next Call of Maddencraft 3.