Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    (Note - This is an anti-car whine, not an anti-poor whine)
    Gotcha. I walk to work. I don't have to, I have a car. But I see the roads as unbikeable at the moment (if there's a bike lane anywhere, it probably no longer exists because of how cars have to park), I don't trust public transit here to get me anywhere on time, and I kind of like being on my feet. However, it's going to suck. (and that -11 F figure is without accounting for wind).

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Yeah, it doesn't get terribly cold here in DC-land, so I'll just be walking to the metro like normal for work and then running after work. I think it'll be in the twenties or something in that ballpark, which isn't really a reason not to do much of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    (if there's a bike lane anywhere, it probably no longer exists because of how cars have to park)
    There are way too many people driving in cities

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    There are way too many people driving in cities
    It works well enough in warm months here, for bikes, but in the winter we might loose a few feet from the curb. Cars park as best they can, but they're actually in the bike lane (which no one can see because there's a thin layer of snow and ice over everything...).

I can't argue with your experience, but the only places with paper apps here right now are small businesses, and mostly for those you need an inside person to get you in (even for minimum wage). Some places (say, Target), have kiosks in store. Some others (an independent place, in fact), if you try to apply you're just going to be asked to send a cover letter and resume by email. That's also a minimum (or close enough to it) job.

No one will say a cell phone is required, most likely. But it's "required" and employment-at-will means "required" loses the quotation marks.

Let's see... I'm looking at the weather, and I'm seeing -11 as the high for the weekend. Mmm, sounds like a good time to bike!

Finally, I'm not someone in desperation, but there's no fucking way I'm putting personal information through a Library's internet. Assumptions about my friends having laptops, also ridiculous.
    Where abouts do you live? I'm pretty sure every fast food place has paper apps here. Many have them on walls with big signs that say "COME JOIN THE FAMILY!" or something like that.

I've never seen a cover letter request, or heard of one until now for fast food or minimum wage jobs. And I don't buy the case that a cell phone is required. You could easily put your land line in the required field for phone, and they can and will contact you through that. I mean, do they ask to see your cell phone before you can even apply in your city?

I guess many of these differences could be regional, but a lot of it just seems like excuses. Its too cold. Its too far. I don;t want to use the free library. With these attitudes it just sounds more like "you" don't want to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzer View Post
    People will always say 'get a better job' but with a population at 7 billion and counting someone unfortunately has to do the jobs most of us look down on or don't want to do. Now, I am not saying McDonald's is a bad job because I have encouraged teenagers to work there for summer employment as it teaches several important life lessons. If you work at McDonald's and enjoy it there, I wish you the best of luck and I hope you guys get raises. It just makes me sad when I hear of people working 10+ years at McDonald's.. I want everyone even if I hate you IRL to excel in every aspect of your life.

Side bar/ Our society will always have an obesity problem until a salad costs less than a burger.

~Spazzer
    Or, until a salad is more palatable and addicting than a burger.

AKA never. *Trust me,* give most obese people free salads for life and they won't give them a second glance, they'll be back in line at McDonald's.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    And I don't buy the case that a cell phone is required. You could easily put your land line in the required field for phone, and they can and will contact you through that. I mean, do they ask to see your cell phone before you can even apply in your city?
    Dude, I thought we settled this. I'm not saying you need a Galaxy 4. You need some way to answer calls. Some way to answer calls takes money.

You need some way to answer email. Going to the public library once is fine. Having to go there every day, maybe multiple times per day, is getting a lot harsh. Especially for a person (we talked about this also) who works full time but is looking for a second job.

I don't know where you live. But I could name dozens of national chains that only accept electronic applications.

Dude, I thought we settled this. I'm not saying you need a Galaxy 4. You need some way to answer calls. Some way to answer calls takes money.

You need some way to answer email. Going to the public library once is fine. Having to go there every day, maybe multiple times per day, is getting a lot harsh. Especially for a person (we talked about this also) who works full time but is looking for a second job.

I don't know where you live. But I could name dozens of national chains that only accept electronic applications.
    Why email? Honest question. I've never had a job respond to me by email.

Also for the record, I am trying to make the disti9nction that a CELL PHONE is a luxury. Land lines are cheaper. Land line service is also subsidized, and soa re cell phones to an extent now I think.

I'm actually looking for a second job and I think my brother wants to quit his job and get a new one. I will go out later today and see how things go. I will report how many paper apps are offered, and how many are online only. (Not that I think you are lying)

For the record I am 26 and have worked since I was 15, minus a few months here or there. Here is how mine have been over the years:

1 Paper App.
    2 Paper App.
    3 Paper App.
    4 Paper App.
    5 Online at school after a job fair, not sure if paper app available.
    6 Paper App.
    7 Paper App.
    Last edited by Self Inflicted Wounds; 2014-01-05 at 09:06 AM.

Why email? Honest question. I've never had a job respond to me by email.
    I don't know if we live in different universes, but 4 of the things you just listed are online only applications where I live. I didn't quote them because you might want to not share that much.

Cell phone: here's why. If you're really looking for a job, you don't want to miss that call. They'll just go to the next person.

I don't know if we live in different universes, but 4 of the things you just listed are online only applications where I live. I didn't quote them because you might want to not share that much.

Cell phone: here's why. If you're really looking for a job, you don't want to miss that call. They'll just go to the next person.
    I find that unlikely, if they picked you I would assume (being in management and hiring people myself) they would rather wait a few hours to hear back from you.

Did you just call those places and check about their application situation?

10+ Year Old Account
    People have to be told fast food isn't healthy? It was never healthy. Ever.

I find that unlikely, if they picked you I would assume (being in management and hiring people myself) they would rather wait a few hours to hear back from you.
    We're talking about jobs where people are essentially fungible. Hi, can you lift 70 pounds? Count to 10? Read? Cool, hired.

We're talking about jobs where people are essentially fungible. Hi, can you lift 70 pounds? Count to 10? Read? Cool, hired.
    Yeah, when I worked at a pizza place, I was involved in the hiring process. When we needed peole say, 1 person, we would look through our paper applications and choose one. Never did I witness something like that; 'Oh, he didn't pick up, on to the next one'... typically we would give them some time.