10+ Year Old Account

USB ports stopped working and now my computer won't turn on.

So one of my front USB ports stopped working the other day so I switched everything to the back. Yesterday my keyboard just randomly stopped working and then did it again today. I unplugged everything today and made sure everything was plugged in and snug, did a quick air can cleaning and then plugged it all back in and now my computer won't turn on at all. Any thoughts? Is it my Mobo?

Components:

Case: Fractal Design Define R4
    Mobo: AS Rock z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    PS: Corsair TX650
    Processer: i5-2500k
    Veridian Dynamics. Friendship. It's so important. But it's different at work. Time spent with friends at work robs your employer of opportunity. And robbing people is wrong. Veridian Dynamics. Friendship. It's the same as stealing.

hey Skesh,

I had a similar issue just a month ago, USB wasn't working sometime and one day computer didn't boot. It turned on but after a few seconds it turned off. I had to flash BIOS, PC works fine now.

Won't turn on in as in what? No power at all (no fans, no lights, etc)? That's not a USB issue - depending on how involved you got check all the power switches/breakers (including the power supply), make sure all the motherboard connections are in the right places and seated (fans, case connection, power supply connection, etc). Basically, check and redo everything in the power chain from the wall to the case switch to the motherboard.

If you mean it won't boot, then it might just be a missing keyboard from your USB failures. Only thing you can really do to check that is make sure the keyboard is plugged directly into the motherboard (less that could go wrong).

10+ Year Old Account
    sorry, no power at all to the computer. No fans no lights nothing now. I've checked the power chain and everything seems fine.
    Veridian Dynamics. Friendship. It's so important. But it's different at work. Time spent with friends at work robs your employer of opportunity. And robbing people is wrong. Veridian Dynamics. Friendship. It's the same as stealing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Double check to make sure both the 24 pin power to the motherboard is plugged in, AS WELL AS the extra 4pin towards the top left of the motherboard as well (some newer/better boards might have an 8pin)
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

that sounds like the motherboard or PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Skesh View Post
    sorry, no power at all to the computer. No fans no lights nothing now. I've checked the power chain and everything seems fine.

Sounds almost like you had a problem with your PS and it finally just went to shit. The original problem could have been because the PS couldn't produce enough juice to keep those front ones active. That's my opinion. It's also easier to see if it's your PS, as opposed to your MB.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had a computer which did the same thing. Turned out it was the PS.