Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do you like your monk?

I've been playing a hunter for the last 6 years. With account wide achievements and mounts the only thing that'd bother me about leveling a new character is that it won't have exalted with all the reps and on an armory it won't have all of my kills I have on my hunter (I have 78 Yogg saron kills as an example). Call it OCD and to just get over it, but it's just the little things like that that matter.

ANYWAYS.
    I never had a max leveled alt before. After so long as a hunter I want to play a monk, they can solo practically everything like a DK can, and it's just the whole asian theme pandarens carry that I admire so much makes it that much more awesome. I plan on playing Brewmaster/Mistweaver and I just wanted to know thoughts as people who switched over to monks as mains.

Do you love the PvE/PvP aspect of them? If so what spec?
    Are they as strong as people complain them to be as?
    Should I just keep playing my hunter?

15+ Year Old Account
    Short answer: Yes

Long answer: YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

But really, the only person who can decide this for you is you. Just roll one and dick around with it. Nothing says you have to continue on with an alt you dislike.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Ì like my monk, else I wouldn't be playing them in this semi-horrible state they are in PvP. I have, however ragequit my monk in s13, being the absolute underdog of everything except sustained damage. Leveled many classes in the meantime to look for a class that I would find fun to keep playing. Until a random mage I met told me to play my monk; who I played as MW at the time in arena.

Needless to say that I became in love with my monk again and even transferred him over to the alliance to play him (now her) as my fulltime PvP main. Although I play WW monk nowadays instead of MW simply because I find damage dealing more fun; I had loads of fun playing MW monk as well. One thing you'll have to keep in mind though, is that blizzard is planning to sort of overhaul MW monks in WoD. So they might end up being a bit different than they currently are.]

So yeah... I find my monk fun to play. More fun than my mage and about the same as my rogue. Only reason why I'm not playing my rogue is because I get extremely annoyed of sitting CC and roots and because I'm currently way better on my monk.

Monks are extremely fun. The only thing is you're used to being on top with your hunter. Thats not going to be the case.

Though, you did say brm/mw. Both of those specs are really enjoyable and as someone with several 90s I'd say check it out.
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Short answer: Yes

Long answer: YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Nailed it
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Stood in the Fire Constellation's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I fucking love my monk.

No, I don't like my monk who I've worked very hard on and used as a base for the guide I wrote that basically every Brewmaster on this forum has looked at at least once.

[/sarcasm]

In seriousness... I've never played a more entertaining class. The depth and complexity of being a monk tank is more challenging and immersive than all of the previous classes I've played (which is basically every tanking class since Wrath, and paladins since TBC) and you get rewarded VERY generously if you do a good job... or in other words, you are a DPS. I mean, I was pretty good at playing a prot pally, and I had him as a main since TBC. Even just watching the little slideshow about monks in 2011 and getting to playtest them and the Wandering Isle made me immediately think "Yeah switching mains this expansion."

I haven't tried mistweaver, and while I think windwalker is an okay spec to play, really it's the Brewmaster that made me fall in love with this class and I don't see myself switching out any time soon.

i'm more and more disliking my monk. i play a brewmaster. and i have 2 tank alts - warrior and guardian. and i feel more tankier with them as with my monk. even if i go full mastery i think my crit build bear can handle stuff better. as for the warrior - he got not that selfheal like my monk but he got nice raid CDs and is pushing good dps. and i think he is way easier to heal. i don't now - with this dmg nerf they gave us i started loosing interest because now brewmaster is not special anymore.

maybe on 25 men it is another thing, but on 10 …
    13/13

Monk

I leveled a horde monk a few months back and now having returned to ally (and a new server) I have decided to roll another monk since I love the class.

You never know whether you like the play style of a class until you try it yourself. I tried a hunter and pally before my ally monk but neither suited me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Monk is hands down my favorite class.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mister Madgod View Post
    In seriousness... I've never played a more entertaining class. The depth and complexity of being a monk tank is more challenging and immersive than all of the previous classes I've played (which is basically every tanking class since Wrath, and paladins since TBC) and you get rewarded VERY generously if you do a good job... or in other words, you are a DPS. I mean, I was pretty good at playing a prot pally, and I had him as a main since TBC. Even just watching the little slideshow about monks in 2011 and getting to playtest them and the Wandering Isle made me immediately think "Yeah switching mains this expansion."

I haven't tried mistweaver, and while I think windwalker is an okay spec to play, really it's the Brewmaster that made me fall in love with this class and I don't see myself switching out any time soon.
    My thoughts EXACTLY. I've mained a pally pretty much since vanilla, and I will always have a special place in my heart for a paladin - but monks were awesome enough to get me to switch. Every morning when I get up and I brush my teeth, I look at myself in the mirror and say, "Self, you are a monk. Today will be awesome." And then I go out and do awesome things on my monk.

I wish they would come out with tri-specs so I can dabble with mistweaving; I enjoy dpsing too much when I'm not tanking to really commit to spending time switching specs...
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

I switched early MoP from my rogue to a WW monk and I love it, utility and denfensive ''oh sit'' buttons are as high as my rogue ( minus the stealth )
    and I love the fact we get polearms , staves and the usual axes , maces , swords , fist weapons ( though I wished they fixed the fist weapon bug where it doesn't show them )

I only played Assa on my rogue and got tired of only seeing / waiting on daggers, also imo the playstyle on monk is more fluid it just feels like there is more energy coming in and I don't need to watch rupture to keep my energy regen going strong nor do I need to pool energy to 70+ before I do a move.

Truth be told I tried a few other things over the last few months like my old warlock or warrior but I just came back to my monk and planning to take it through the cape questline and into WoD.

And I mained my rogue since Tier 8 and always raided normals and hc modes up until MoP , but now I don't even miss him.

Stood in the Fire Grand Phoenix's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have two monks on different servers: a draenei mistweaver/brewmaster on Stormrage and a blood elf windwalker on Zul'jin. Currently leveling my draenei, and I have to say I like playing as him...although I can't say the same about my healing capabilities. I usually play the DPS role and the occasional tank on my alts, but healing is new to me and, when making my lovely manly demon/space-goat, I wanted the extra challenge. So far I've had two people react negatively to it - one sending a whisper to "fuck off" for stupidly charging toward the opposing faction in Warsong Gulch instead of healing her, and another who told me to never queue as heals again. Still, I consider going into battlegrounds as a good way to practice single-target and AOE heals like Uplift, when to drop Healing Spheres, what time is right to summon my statue, where to spend my resources in a BG if I'm the only healer, etc; that, and with my playstyle - Tiger's Lust, Diffuse Magic, and Nimble Brew for getting rid of snares and immobilizing effects, and Power Strikes for Chi spheres if needed, and Life Cocoon and Fortifying Brew for ensured survival - I like to add fistweaving when damage isn't too high.

I haven't done any tanking yet as I'm waiting to hit 90 to gather gear from heroic dungeons, so once that's gathered I'll be using the training dummies in the cities and try my hand as BM in battlegrounds.

Adore playing Monks. (It's what I play in virtually every game I can and when there aren't classes I try Unarmed.) I just wish Celestalon would pull his head out of his [Free Gold You Buy Now] and realize that "if you want to do optimal dps, you should use Fists of Fury on cooldown" is one of the most naive things ever said about combat mechanics by a dev.

In fact, I really wish they'd retcon the class and make Hurricane Strike the skill you get at level 10. It's the only Windwalker-only ability that actually mentions wind.

Being a Tank/Healer offspec doesn't usually work as well as a Tank+DPS or Healer+DPS. Its just generally easier to slot a DPS. "We don't need a tank, but if you tank on your monk, then the Warrior tank can use his offspec" is a conversation I've had a few times as a raid leader. Save your RL's some mental anguish and pick up a DPS offspec.

I think Monks are pretty strong in PVP. They are very self-reliant: strong mobility, self-heals, defensive CDs, and CC. Their only real weakness in PVP as DPS is a lack of a big "YOU DIE NOW" button like bladestorm or something. TBH though their damage is pretty solid in PVP too once you get good gear. Its just evenly spread out instead of coming in big bursts like other classes. Mistweavers in PVP are a bit less tanky than other healers, but that doesn't really matter since they keep a lot of that amazing Monk mobility. If you catch a MW, you have a decent chance of killing them. But that's a big "if".

In PVE, BM tanks are pretty awesome. They're pretty reliant on their secondary stats, so we could see weak BM's at the start of WoD before people have gotten enough Haste or Mastery. Mistweavers are on a low ebb at the moment, thanks in part to a big Revival nerf and being pretty reliant on the RNG of Renewing Mists, but they're due for a big shake-up in WoD (thanks to Spirit being completely useless for them if nothing else), and they have been great in the past. Very spammy healing style. WW suffers because it is a melee class in PVE. It also lacks real utility. All those disarms, snares, and roots are great in PVP, but whenever you say "raid utility" what people hear is "raid cooldown" (which honestly, I'd really rather see them remove a lot of raid cooldowns from non-healers, rather than give one to WW) and WW doesn't have that. WW also is lacking in the raid buffs/debuffs department. Also some debate between the community and the developers (oddly enough) as to how best to play WW and which stats to use. Overall, though, WW in PVE is highly self-reliant again (self-healing and personal defensive CDs) and highly mobile. Their damage is middle of the pack. If I hear "don't judge yourself, Warlocks are just OP" from Celestalon again I'm going to hurl a brick (one that says "THEN FIX WARLOCKS" on it) at Irvine, but overall, they are fine in the damage department. Strong at cleaving right now. Again, lack of burst, which means you get to sit at the bottom of meters for the first 30 seconds of every fight while everyone does their Hero/Lust rotations, but you make it up by the end, more or less. Chi Brew helps with that, and the devs are making noises like they are going to fix the Hero/lust burst window issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Download the PTR tonight when you're alseep. Tomorrow, log into it, create a premade level 90 monk and find out for yourself.

My personal input is that Brewmaster is the most fun I've ever had with a tanking class in any game, Mistweaver is the most enjoyable soloing / LFR healing experience I've ever had and Windwalker is a stealth button away from the old dream I used to have for my rogue, my previous favorite class.

In short, Monk is an extremely fun class to play in every spec.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a healer, I can't think of any other class I'd want to heal as. "Maybe" druid post 5.4, but very maybe.
    The kind of mobility, throughput, personal movement, DPS that a monk healer gets, is really hard to match.

Let me tell you my story.

I am a caster player. Never liked melee classes since TBC. In MoP I had a character of each class at max level, including Monk.

My DK, rogue, and warrior are never touched, because I hate playing melee classes, but suffice to say that I love my Monk, and it is the first melee class that I've grown to love more than my casters.

Monks are the most interesting and fun class I've ever played, and I've played most classes.

I may not be playing much these days, but that's not because of the class. It's fantastic, everyone should play one at some point.

My primary experience is with the Brewmaster spec in PvE, but I've done a lot of WW DPS too.

I love my monk, but I can't decide for a race...I'm alway circling between Pandaren, Trolls or Undead every few months. ;_;