Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    WoD and casting while moving

    http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2...g-on-the-move/

    From Lore.

    Thoughts or opinions about it going into the expansion?

  2. #2
    The Lightbringer Joyful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sweee?
    Posts
    3,746
    With or without casting while moving won't make a too big of a difference when all of our spells are instant, and they'd probably add something like Aspect of the Fox, which isn't really that big of a deal DPS-wise.

    I like being able to move and dps all the time, but I don't really care either way.

  3. #3
    Stood in the Fire Ghoulthaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    460
    Interesting to say the least, especially the nod to hunters and their upper hand when it comes to movement.

  4. #4
    we'd have to either get something similar to fox back or always know exactly when we have to move so we can pool focus, which wouldn't work in a lot of situations where rng determines if you need to move. i'm happy with the way things are right now, but i wouldn't be upset if they felt like they needed to add aspect switching back.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by nolliepop View Post
    we'd have to either get something similar to fox back or always know exactly when we have to move so we can pool focus, which wouldn't work in a lot of situations where rng determines if you need to move. i'm happy with the way things are right now, but i wouldn't be upset if they felt like they needed to add aspect switching back.
    Main concern with Aspect switching is that you can macro around the entire system. And when they added the GCD stuff to our Aspects, it just made it even clunkier to do the same thing.

  6. #6
    The Lightbringer Joyful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sweee?
    Posts
    3,746
    Quote Originally Posted by nolliepop View Post
    we'd have to either get something similar to fox back or always know exactly when we have to move so we can pool focus, which wouldn't work in a lot of situations where rng determines if you need to move. i'm happy with the way things are right now, but i wouldn't be upset if they felt like they needed to add aspect switching back.
    You make that sound so bad, it wouldn't be bad since that's what almost all other classes have now, except a lower amount of instants.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    You make that sound so bad, it wouldn't be bad since that's what almost all other classes have now, except a lower amount of instants.
    It's an issue when it comes to PvP performance. Our resource design simply doesn't work well with PvP unless we can generate it while kiting.

  8. #8
    The Lightbringer Joyful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sweee?
    Posts
    3,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    It's an issue when it comes to PvP performance. Our resource design simply doesn't work well with PvP unless we can generate it while kiting.
    It could be fixed by increasing our base focus regen slightly.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    It could be fixed by increasing our base focus regen slightly.
    They would have to significantly increase the value, which would require a reduction in active generation and push us in a direction of Energy 2.0.

  10. #10
    Even tho this is in Hunter forums, The ability to cast and move is the biggest step to making PvP Balanced for everyone. Its the main reason that classes such as Melee + Hunters are Always OP every season.

    I mean they can run and do full damage
    Why cant casters run and do full damage then?

  11. #11
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    8.6 LY away from home
    Posts
    852
    oh dear God please please Blizzard, don't change warlocks from their current state!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    Even tho this is in Hunter forums, The ability to cast and move is the biggest step to making PvP Balanced for everyone. Its the main reason that classes such as Melee + Hunters are Always OP every season.

    I mean they can run and do full damage
    Why cant casters run and do full damage then?
    You realize this is the first time in a long while Hunters were strong right? Hunters were garbage in arena in BC due to min-range being easily exploitable, Wrath had the launch season as strong because of TNT and Beast Cleave as overpowered and was then nerfed and they went back to lowest rep. Cataclysm saw Hunters as total dogshit in arena unless you had the APM of a Korean Starcraft player.

    MoP is the first time Hunters have been looked at as a serious competitive class, even if it took being overpowered at the launch season to get to that point.

  13. #13
    The Lightbringer Toffie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,790
    They better not touch my hunter! Having that kind of mobility is the reason I stick to my hunter out of all classes.
    Skylake & Pascal gaming build 2016
    6700K | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV | Corsair LPX 16GB | GTX 1080 Gaming X |
    S850 EVO 500GB | Corsair RM750x | Razer BW Chroma - Razer Deathadder Chroma | Asus Rog 1440p 165Hz IPS |

  14. #14
    Mechagnome Littlepinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ottawa Canada
    Posts
    634
    Cataclysm saw Hunters as total dogshit in arena unless you had the APM of a Korean Starcraft player.

    I'm sorry i really lol at this. made my day.

    yea i refused to pvp on my hunter then.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    They better not touch my hunter! Having that kind of mobility is the reason I stick to my hunter out of all classes.
    Just not sure what they can do to hit us without redesigning our combat system.

    Slap a cast time on our signatures? Ok well now our signatures are gated behind a cast time in addition to the cooldown which makes the cooldown feel really dumb.
    Slap a cast time on our dumps? They tried similar to this in MoP beta with Black Arrow and it was reverted because of how terrible it went using it between Explosives.
    Stop Steady/Cobra from being usable on the move? Suddenly PvP Hunters have near zero Focus regen while kiting.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    You realize this is the first time in a long while Hunters were strong right? Hunters were garbage in arena in BC due to min-range being easily exploitable, Wrath had the launch season as strong because of TNT and Beast Cleave as overpowered and was then nerfed and they went back to lowest rep. Cataclysm saw Hunters as total dogshit in arena unless you had the APM of a Korean Starcraft player.

    MoP is the first time Hunters have been looked at as a serious competitive class, even if it took being overpowered at the launch season to get to that point.
    Ye i know, i was the one who made the topic that led to Blizzard letting Hunters being able to use auto shot while running during Cata
    If they would just let the rest of the classes be able to do the same thing PvP would have a new meaning

  17. #17
    There's a couple of ways to think of this...

    First, in-game reality. It makes sense for hunters to be able to fire on the move since you can shoot arrows or guns while moving. So, to the degree that the game should be 'realistic' it's fine to let us fire on the move. Casters... well there's no real world analogue so you can make up any rules you want about concentration, etc.

    Second, PVE gameplay. If they remove the ability use cast time abilities on the move that will affect the kind of fights they can make and how they tune them. Highly mobile fights won't be able to have high DPS requirements (unless they boost DPS while standing still). Also, I like the feel of being able to move around and fire. A fight like Dark Shamans is MUCH more fun being able to move and fire vs having to move, stand still, fire then move.

    Third, PVP. I don't PVP, but I think someone above said it best when they said that hunters would be focus starved since they'd have to kite, etc.

    For caster dps I can see arguments for and against casting while moving. For hunters, I don't see any reason to disallow firing and moving.

  18. #18
    Mechagnome Pilkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    south wales
    Posts
    634
    Bear in mind that we're the only ranged not designed around mana. I'm hoping that we'll be the exception

  19. #19
    Stood in the Fire spiattalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    495
    From a strict PvE perspective, being so mobile is a pain. You'd expect us to be the best dos on high-movement fight, but we aren't. I know I'm in the minority but I preferred the TBC style (haven't played in WotLK), aka no steady/autos on the move. It would be much easier to balance us without recurring the the usual AotH band-aid hotfix.

    From a PvP perspective, never been that big of a PvPer myself but I assume things would be worse on a gameplay level, although still easier to balance I guess?

  20. #20
    The Lightbringer Radio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Drop Bears
    Posts
    3,039
    We have a few things to consider:

    1. They want Hunters to remain mobile - this means that it is unlikely that Steady/Cobra shot are going to change, but they'll find a less often used ability to keep us occasionally grounded that probably is not a focus generator but rather a spender. It could also be an occasionally used cast-time ability that ups single target DPS by 3-10% through regular use, so that heavy movement isn't the end of the world, but not completely optimal either.

    2. They're already experimenting with the Lvl 100 snipe talent where hunters are given the option to try out a higher single target DPS build based around a new stand-still focus generator much like using aimed shot as a focus generator.

    3. They want to differentiate the specs a little bit more, this means we may see new mechanics in some or all 3 of the specs that will be relevant to mobility.

    4. They also may just end up keeping it as is, and making sure that the hunter toolkit remains balanced around that mobility in the WoD PVE/PVP environment.

    Just gotta wait for beta patch notes methinks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •