Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Deathwing in the books is a brilliant, manipulative tactician. A wonderful villain, one unlike other we've seen in the game. Wrathion comes closest.

The Deathwing in the game is...a disappointment.

If they gave Deathwing a personality Cataclysm would have resonated with a lot more people.

You know...mentioning Wrathion is actually a good point. Wrathion in MoP I think is actually (albeit in an antagonistic sense) how a lot of us expected Deathwing to act during cata. Better late than never I guess, lol.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Because that is what Old Gods do. Drive you insane.
    That's another problem, we never fought N'Zoth or at the very least it wasn't explained near enough. While we do fight possibly too many Old Gods, they seem to be relatively acceptable as villains by most people.

For example, if I told people that Deathwing was corrupted by N'Zoth they would've gone "who?" the vast majority of the time. At least in MoP, while we never fight Y'shaarj, they make enough references to her that average playes know who Y'shaarj is.

10+ Year Old Account
    He could've done it himself, but he let his minions do it instead.
    If he did it himself the whole of Azeroth would be toast, and he thought the world was unimportant to him as well.
    For the Horde!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    Deathwing used to be affably evil (friendly chat respectful cunningly evil) but by the time of cata he's long past that point and absolutely insane and going further into it every moment.
    After reading the War of the Ancients and Day of the Dragon, I was extremely disappointed by Deathwing's personality in-game. However, Ysera and Nozdormu don't have the personalities or characteristics they have in the books, either - Nozdormu moreso.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    If they gave Deathwing a personality Cataclysm would have resonated with a lot more people.
    I can't believe they built that sick looking human form too. Only to use it like one time in the badlands. Should've used it to be Arthas-like hitting us up in dungeons on the way to 85 and stuff.

the difference is DW is simply broken in the head, while Smaug is 1) "treasure-hoarding dragon" and 2) he suffers from the "gold disease" just like Thror

Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    Or... having read the Hobbit.
    You mean to tell me there's a book made over the hobbit? o0

To OP:
    Wouldn't have minded that. More burning down of the the cities he visited and BURN them, instead of leaving because "lol there be fire, i better leave" >.>

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I can't believe they built that sick looking human form too. Only to use it like one time in the badlands. Should've used it to be Arthas-like hitting us up in dungeons on the way to 85 and stuff.
    Wait. What? They made a new human form in cataclysm? I haven't noticed that. Where do i find that?
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Quote Originally Posted by Dooney View Post
    They already copied Lotr, what's the diff?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    A dying Blood Elf in the Ghostlands gives a quest called Anok'suten. One of the rewards for killing this elite (a giant spider) is a one-handed sword called Stung. This is an obvious reference to Sting, which is Bilbo's sword in The Hobbit, used effectively against spiders in the book. He later gives it to Frodo in LotR.

Someone has clearly never head of the tale of Sigurd and the curse of the ring. Sigurd's uncle Fafnir turns into a treasure hoarding dragon. And the tales of Sigurd have been around for centuries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigurd
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyonis View Post
    All of Tolkien's books are based on folklore and other stories. He has read a lot of literature, that man. While his stories are amazing, none of them are actually "original".
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyonis View Post
    It's a known fact that Tolkien has based his works on folklore. If you like wikipedia as a source, here you go.

And a good "rip-off" is always better than a bad story you made up yourself. He did a great job at writing such a repertoire of books all in the same world, all interesting.

I think a game with a great story is good and all. But the main purpose of a game is to give good gameplay. Story comes second. In films and books story is a lot more important. Even though in some cases it's the action or romance or humour that you want to see. Do you want South Park to have a great story? No, you want South Park to be funny. I wouldn't say story is bad, no not at all. A good story is a plus, it's even required to a certain extent. But it's only literature where story is really important.
    Allow me to quote the great poet of our day, Drake: "It ain't about who did it first, it's about who did it right."

Quote Originally Posted by Terridon View Post
    Wait. What? They made a new human form in cataclysm? I haven't noticed that. Where do i find that?
    here you go
    http://www.wowhead.com/npc=46471/deathwing#.

Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    If Deathwing was as sane and smart as Smaug then Cata would be over within several days. Deathwing casually walked into stormwind and casually wrecked a part of it to pieces, which means that if he had intention to actually kill people, then he would, pretty effortlessly as well.
    How was Smaug sane or smart? All he did was hoard money and get his ass kicked due to toying with his opponents. I quite liked the movie, but the dialogue between him and Bilbo seemed quite sad. Like a dragon, driven to insanity by being lonely for decades, desperately trying to communicate.

Still better than "RAAAAAWR CATACLYZM HOUR OF TWILIGHT FUCKERS" tho.

Not much of Deathwing's personality has been show in-game but if you have read Day of the Dragon and the War of the Ancients trilogy you would've known. He has a very detailed personality. His obsession with Demonic Soul is similiar to Smeagoul's with the Ring. He is also as intelligent, if not more intelligent. He captured a demon and tortured him and "spoke" with it in a similiar way to how Smaug speaks with Bilbo. Or when he saves Rhonin. It actually made Deathwing one of my favourite characters because of that. Because he had a personality. I felt that I could speak with him, were he real.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirse View Post
    The Hobbit is actually a book from year 1937. And what Smaug looks like and what kind of personality he has, is all explained in the book. So no, they don't need yet to build a time machine =)
    If you go just by looks i thought Smaug looked more like deathwing than the way he was portrayed in the book.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caelic View Post
    Fafnir says "hi".
    Damn straight...
    It puzzles me every time when I see people referring to modern fantasy, when in fact the source lies often thousands of years in the past.
    Tolkiens Smaug is hardly the "original treasure hoarding dragon". Fafnir/Fafner can be called that, if any at all.
    The Nibelungen Saga can be called the original source. It dates back to late 1100s early 1200s.. Which is just a tad earlier than the Thidreks Saga.

As for myself, if it wasn't for the Nibelungen saga, I would have never had a strong interest in fantasy literature. It was the first book I've read from that genre when I was around 10 years old. And what put the sauce into the awesome is that it mashes fiction with facts. That leads to how still until today, tons of people including scientists are on the hunt for this very treasure, which was - as the legend says - sunk into the Rhine river.
    http://www.dw.de/treasure-hunt-on-the-rhine/a-17059710

You either believe the treasure exists, or you don't.

And to the question of the thread.... Why wasn't Deathwing like Smaug?
    Because we would play LOTRO then, and not WOW.
    Aside from that, "The Hobbit" was not like it's follow up LOTR a full blown fantasy work, it was/is a children's book. Peter Jackson turned it into a movie, and has all the children book typical aspects removed. Making 3 movies out of a rather small size novel means, that there's a lot of stuff added to it, to artificially inflate the story to more than there is to it.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

I think the OP is trying to say why couldn't Deathwing have a personality? Not one "like Smaug's", but using Smaug as an example of a dragon with a personality to say, "hey, it can be done."

Insanity doesn't have to exclude personality. Some of the most menacing villains have distinct personalities to go along with their insanity. Batman's "The Joker" is a good example. A personality makes them relatable, but then you realize how evil they are and it becomes horrifying because you were able to identify with them. Effective emotional storytelling.

Deleted
    Cata was years ago, isn't it time to get over it already?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because blizz sucks right now with plot making/storytelling and integrating it into the game ever since cata. I'm pretty sure he's portrayed in the books more epic than in the game. In the game when did he make appearance? Like only in the beginning in some parts and then only in DS.

Afterwards Deathwing whom did we get pandas... Ok pandas didn't take part of the major plot in any of the warcraft games (except referenced in WC3) but there really wasn't a need for them to be present in warcraft lore. After being introduced to pandas, we get to chase Garrosh for the entire expansion just in the end to escape and bring WoD into our timeline, so that means all our efforts were nothing and so goes another orc centric expansion.

So to me it seems blizz is running out of ideas, and soon we will see an expansion with Kael'thas riding Onyxia after being risen by the Lich King due to someone messed up with the timelines after WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    Because people bitched about Arthas being EVERYWHERE so they dialed back Deathwing's appearances in-game to the point that people didn't really know who Deathwing was other than being some RAWR DRAGON.
    And Arthas being everywhere in Lich King was just because people bitched that Illidan wasn't in BC enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Argalin View Post
    I think the OP is trying to say why couldn't Deathwing have a personality? Not one "like Smaug's", but using Smaug as an example of a dragon with a personality to say, "hey, it can be done."

Insanity doesn't have to exclude personality. Some of the most menacing villains have distinct personalities to go along with their insanity. Batman's "The Joker" is a good example. A personality makes them relatable, but then you realize how evil they are and it becomes horrifying because you were able to identify with them. Effective emotional storytelling.
    Seemed that Blizz is more focused on its landscapes, glitches and gadgets than plot and character development. For example, think about how Blizz could have paved the way for MoP toward the end of Cata, but they are so focused on "surprising" us with what they are doing next. Many of us know that there were pandas in WoW before, but why would be care about them. I cared about a Sha????
    -I lost 6 million of my best friends because of Cataclysm. I will NEVER forgive Blizz for that.
    -There ain't enough tequila in the universe to forget the insanity I experienced with Mists of Pandaria.

Quote Originally Posted by enchanted View Post
    Because blizz sucks right now with plot making/storytelling and integrating it into the game ever since cata. I'm pretty sure he's portrayed in the books more epic than in the game. In the game when did he make appearance? Like only in the beginning in some parts and then only in DS.

Afterwards Deathwing whom did we get pandas... Ok pandas didn't take part of the major plot in any of the warcraft games (except referenced in WC3) but there really wasn't a need for them to be present in warcraft lore. After being introduced to pandas, we get to chase Garrosh for the entire expansion just in the end to escape and bring WoD into our timeline, so that means all our efforts were nothing and so goes another orc centric expansion.

So to me it seems blizz is running out of ideas, and soon we will see an expansion with Kael'thas riding Onyxia after being risen by the Lich King due to someone messed up with the timelines after WoD.
    Harrison Jones in uldum, anyone?